Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Tesla: Please add Power Liftgate as a separate option

Would you like Tesla to list Power Liftgate as a separate option?

• Yes, Tesla should list Power Liftgate as a separate option.

Votes: 189 85.5%
  • No, Tesla should keep Power Liftgate as part of the $5000 Premium Package.

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a great way for Tesla to make an extra $5,000 per car. By including such a convenient feature in that package, they push a lot of people towards spending the extra money. They probably put a lot of thought into this decision.

Except I bet a lot of people will either sit out until they revise the option packages or not pay the $5,000 to get the lift gate when they can buy a Tesla STOOL for a lot less :)

That's what we are doing and based on other forum posts I know we are not alone so having an option package that many consider to be exorbitantly priced is not good for Tesla as few will choose it and the few who choose it will do so with some resentment.

This is a great way for Tesla to make an extra $5,000 per car. By including such a convenient feature in that package, they push a lot of people towards spending the extra money. They probably put a lot of thought into this decision.

It's a great way if people value the lift gate that much. I doubt the other items will hold as much valuable for people, they don't for me. And I don't think the lift gate alone would either. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it. Coke put a lot of thought into "New Coke" too...

Excellent recommendation! Let's hope Tesla is listening.
Tesla could solve this issue by splitting the Premium Package into two parts: interior and exterior.

Interior Premium Package - $2000
Extended Leather Trim
Ambient Lighting
*Requires Alcantara Headliner (included with P85D, $1500 option otherwise)

Exterior Premium Package - $1500
LED cornering lamps and fog lamps
Lighted door handles
Power liftgate

Well, it's never been a stand-alone option. Before it was always part of the Tech Package option. It is unlikely that Tesla is going to offer the automatic lift gate, or other features, as line item options any time soon. Over the past two years Tesla has continuously simplified and reduced the Model S options list.

Power lift gates are a pretty recent option on many cars. They are usually offered in some kind of a luxury or convenience application, since most people want the much simpler manual hand raise.

Manufacturers typically make their cars to appeal to the 85th percentile buyer. Trying to make everybody happy is often a recipe for failure.

I understand that everybody wants to spec each car to their perfect option list, but is much easier and more efficient to offer options in packages. Believe every other manufacturer does the same thing.

They should reconstitute the Tech Package with Autopilot and put the power lift gate and the miscellaneous LEDs as a part of that package. Removing the lift gate from the Tech Package and putting it in a Package that few find of value is the reason for this whole lift gate fiasco.

The lift gate and the LED interior lights, LED door handle lights, and the LED fog lights should be put in the Tech Package with Autopilot and they can increase the cost of that package by $1,500 and just about everyone will be happy.

Tesla could solve this issue by splitting the Premium Package into two parts: interior and exterior.

Extended Leather Trim
Ambient Lighting

Lighted door handles
Power liftgate

This pricing adds up the same way but the smaller numbers are more customer friendly, making people more likely to check the boxes.

Great recommendation.

I sent an email to Jerome Guile and another person in Tesla management with a link to this post and asking them to consider adding the power liftgate as a separate option. Here's the reply I got from Jerome yesterday:

"Thanks for your note and sharing your concern with us. I have shared your feedback with our sales, engineering, and program management teams. We continuously try to simplify the ordering process by proposing choices which are appreciated by our customers. It is definitely not our intention to make any decision more difficult. Your opinion is appreciated and my colleagues will review it. Many thanks for your continued support."

I suggest for those who feel strongly about this issue to email Tesla and let your voices be known. I think it's in the best interest of Tesla if they can make the change quickly.

Extended Leather Trim
Ambient Lighting

Lighted door handles
Power liftgate

This pricing adds up the same way but the smaller numbers are more customer friendly, making people more likely to check the boxes.

TimF, this is a very simple and very elegant solution, I hope Tesla considers this option.

My alternate suggestion for Tesla would be the following, just because personally I like the lighting effects but don't care for the Alcantara, and don't like to see them bundled:

1) Make the Power Liftgate standard, as it is presumably required for Rear Facing Seats anyway.

2) Premium Interior Trim Package

-Extended Leather Trim
-Alcantara Headliner

3) Premium Lighting Package

-Ambient Lighting
-LED cornering lamps and fog lamps
-Lighted door handles

And why not just make #3 standard anyway, how much can a bunch of LEDs and wiring really add in cost, that you wouldn't make back via the benefits of standardization?

TimF, this is a very simple and very elegant solution, I hope Tesla considers this option.

My alternate suggestion for Tesla would be the following, just because personally I like the lighting effects but don't care for the Alcantara, and don't like to see them bundled:

1) Make the Power Liftgate standard, as it is presumably required for Rear Facing Seats anyway.

2) Premium Interior Trim Package

-Extended Leather Trim
-Alcantara Headliner

3) Premium Lighting Package

-Ambient Lighting
-LED cornering lamps and fog lamps
-Lighted door handles

And why not just make #3 standard anyway, how much can a bunch of LEDs and wiring really add in cost, that you wouldn't make back via the benefits of standardization?

But I want the headliner but don't care about the extended leather trim. Not going to ever make everyone happy.

Was close to ordering, will now hold off until options are more a la carte

I think you'll be waiting a long while. In the 6 months since I ordered mine, it's gone completely the other way. Tesla is clearly streamlining their manufacturing process as they ramp up volume. And in doing so, they're going away from a la carte and more to defined "packages". It allows for more kitting of parts, fewer on-line problems and ultimately lower cost. I suspect that it's only a matter of time before we see the vehicles in defined trim levels with more styling cues, in the same way that we see with other manufacturers.

That said, there's a lot of noise specifically about the lift gate, so that one may be moved.

What are all of your thoughts on a possible body facelift as we see with other manufacturers? The body of the Model S has not changed (as far as I know) since launch, maybe time some slight changes?

Doubt it. That would require retooling or changing the manufacturing process, at least with the aluminum, not to mention reallocation of design resources. All of that should be going to the X, and Model 3.

I think the impact of changing the headlight cluster ("next gen" LED headlights) and offering different wheel options (20" please) would go a long way cosmetically and really does appeal to a lot of buyers.

On the topic of the liftgate, now that we're making our wishes, it would have been nice for TM to make it a motion sensing liftgate (when the foot is just under the bumper). Seems like it would be easy to place the sensor in the black plastic under the bumper. That way it would have made the $5k price of the PP more palatable or they could have made it its own desirable option. Otherwise, I agree they should have made the basic liftgate standard.