Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery after 64,000 miles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 Tesla model S P85+ had 64,000 miles on it in this summer (2023) and the battery died. I thought they were supposed to last at least 100,000 miles. I saw a comment by Elon Musk saying they would last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Having to replace a battery after 64,000 miles at a cost of $15,000 seems insane. Has anyone else experienced extremely short, battery life? Any reasons why a battery on a car that is lovingly driven would die? Have not done, extreme overcharging, left it outside in extremely hot or cold weather, or anything else I can think of that should’ve heard it. Technicians just said, “oh, sometimes this happens. They don’t have a guaranteed mileage life “. No help..,

Can you explain "dead"? What was the % degredation before this happened? A 2022 MSLR has a drive train and battery warranty for 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. Even if the car had zero miles, the battery still has a limited shelf life due to calendar aging. What's the warranty for your 2014 car say?
Screenshot_20230709_061111_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I saw a comment by Elon Musk saying they would last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Having to replace a battery after 64,000 miles at a cost of $15,000 seems insane.
I'm sorry for your loss. But this is the danger/downside of being an early adopter. I think Tesla learns from their mistakes and batteries on newer cars have much longer lives. If a failure mode takes 7 or 8 years to show up, it's hard to know about it before then.

I know it doesn't help you at all but I'm amazed by how much they were able to get right without decades of trial and error.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the earlier model has a flaw where moisture can get it and leading to premature death. It's not related to the mileage of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
My 2013 died a month before warranty ran out. Several bad modules caused not to charge. I got remanufactured pack. If, if your warranty is up? You can get a replacement easy under 10k from several shops. They told me a few months ago a replacement was 12k with 4 years warranty. I had a 2012 , A pack, it has a B now.

Upvote 0
Can you explain "dead"? What was the % degredation before this happened? A 2022 MSLR has a drive train and battery warranty for 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. Even if the car had zero miles, the battery still has a limited shelf life due to calendar aging. What's the warranty for your 2014 car say?
View attachment 954611
No issues with degradation before as it took and kept a charge well. Kept charge to anout 70-80%. Seemed to get just as good performance as our 2021 model 3. Warranty had run out 6 months earlier. I was the original owner. Literally, worked perfectly then wouldn't turn on.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Which alert(s) did you get?
Unfortunately, the earlier model has a flaw where moisture can get it and leading to premature death. It's not related to the mileage of the battery.

the Tesla repair shop innAustin didn't mention any moisture. They just said battery sometimes failed even with low mileage and that there was no guarantee how many miles it would last.
But, seriously, 64,000 miles over 8.5 years running kids to school and getting groceries shouldnt kill it.
Here's FAQs on BMS_u029 and BMS_u018 Specific
No alert. Simply parked and next day it wouldnt turn back on. Message said something like charge too low to turn on system.
They are intended to last longer, but there were issues in the batteries before around 2018 when the Model 3 came out.

Have you looked at your warranty? Has Tesla looked at the battery?
yes, battery had just passed the 8 year mark. Tesla repair shop said the batteries can just go out without warning for no reason. That sounded pretty lame to me.

Upvote 0
…Message said something like charge too low to turn on system…
Are you’re sure the HV battery is the problem? If the 12v shorted you’d also have a dead car. Or if your 12v charging system broke.

I second the request for a screen shot of the alert \ error. I assume your car is plugged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and AAKEE
Upvote 0
My 2014 Tesla model S P85+ had 64,000 miles on it in this summer (2023) and the battery died.

I thought they were supposed to last at least 100,000 miles. I saw a comment by Elon Musk saying they would last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Having to replace a battery after 64,000 miles at a cost of $15,000 seems insane.
While it will not help you with the issue, it is probably another issue than the battery cells being worn out.

The cells them self might be in good shape, but the could be an hardware issue with other things inside the pack, or very likely the 12V battery.

Upvote 0
No alert. Simply parked and next day it wouldnt turn back on. Message said something like charge too low to turn on system.

yes, battery had just passed the 8 year mark. Tesla repair shop said the batteries can just go out without warning for no reason. That sounded pretty lame to me.
It seems like you already take it to SC or somewhere else ? Do they give you the details or error codes? The first gen system is not as robust as the later ones. There is a similar thread and more like what you described, whatever Elon says, take it with a grain of salt...

Upvote 0
My 2014 Tesla model S P85+ had 64,000 miles on it in this summer (2023) and the battery died. I thought they were supposed to last at least 100,000 miles. I saw a comment by Elon Musk saying they would last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Having to replace a battery after 64,000 miles at a cost of $15,000 seems insane. Has anyone else experienced extremely short, battery life? Any reasons why a battery on a car that is lovingly driven would die? Have not done, extreme overcharging, left it outside in extremely hot or cold weather, or anything else I can think of that should’ve heard it. Technicians just said, “oh, sometimes this happens. They don’t have a guaranteed mileage life “. No help..,

My 2021 model 3 battery just died with 36k miles driven. They are putting in a refurbished battery. Not happy at all.

Upvote 0