Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Charging Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been to pick my car up after leaving it to (AC) charge at work overnight to be greeted with a DC Charging Unavailable message. I've started the process to book a service centre visit (not massively convenient as it's 45-60 mins away) but wondered if anyone else has had this and how quickly Tesla fixed it. I don't DC charge very often but like having the option :)

I had this same problem a few months ago, in my case I was just driving down the motorway when the alert popped up. I book a service appointment when I had got to my destination and then the alert disappeared. Service told me not to cancel the appointment. They told me it was a gasket and was given an date, it was done in just over an hour.

Thanks for creating this thread. I got this warning the other day but car has charged happily on a SC twice since.

I erroneously put it down to a false alert after recent software update. Looks like I shouldn’t ignore the warning after all. 🙏

Thanks for creating this thread. I got this warning the other day but car has charged happily on a SC twice since.

I erroneously put it down to a false alert after recent software update. Looks like I shouldn’t ignore the warning after all. 🙏
Yes I thought of the same and ignored few initial warnings, the car was fine. And then as usual you get it when you really don’t want that sort of trouble - wasn’t sure how to get in touch with Reims service centre and waited for couple of hours on our way to Italy. Then tried to charge it charged but the map couldn’t recognise DC charging is working. I wasn’t able to get the map beyond the battery limits. Bit of a headache. Just fix it, it is couple of hours wait, take ur iPad or laptop and you can work from the SC.

Just been to pick my car up after leaving it to (AC) charge at work overnight to be greeted with a DC Charging Unavailable message. I've started the process to book a service centre visit (not massively convenient as it's 45-60 mins away) but wondered if anyone else has had this and how quickly Tesla fixed it. I don't DC charge very often but like having the option :)
I had this a few months ago. Did it rain very heavily overnight while it was on charge? Unlike other EVs the model 3 doesn’t have protective caps for the DC receptacles at the charging port. I think water can get in if it is on AC charge in heavy rain. The car then detects that as a breakdown in insulation resistance at the charging port/internal cable harness. This is what Tesla replaced under warranty when I got the same error/warning. No issues since.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
I had this a few months ago. Did it rain very heavily overnight while it was on charge? Unlike other EVs the model 3 doesn’t have protective caps for the DC receptacles at the charging port. I think water can get in if it is on AC charge in heavy rain. The car then detects that as a breakdown in insulation resistance at the charging port/internal cable harness. This is what Tesla replaced under warranty when I got the same error/warning. No issues since.
The car was charging in a covered carpark so I'd be surprised if it was water ingress. I have AC charged it outside in the rain but not for a few weeks so I guess it is possible.

Was the wording of the message "Unable to DC Fast Charge - OK to AC Charge"? If so, I had this error recently and it was repaired under warranty, took them about an hour.

There was an older part for the charging harness, which quite often develops this fault, they replace it new a newer part number. The harness connector can become loose intermittently, in my case I could trigger the error by testing the brakes, or driving over our pothole ridden roads.

Was the wording of the message "Unable to DC Fast Charge - OK to AC Charge"? If so, I had this error recently and it was repaired under warranty, took them about an hour.

There was an older part for the charging harness, which quite often develops this fault, they replace it new a newer part number. The harness connector can become loose intermittently, in my case I could trigger the error by testing the brakes, or driving over our pothole ridden roads.
Yep, that was the message. It cleared overnight but I think I'll keep the service appointment as it could well be either moisture ingress or a loose connection so may well reappear.

Reactions: spdpsba
Yep, that was the message. It cleared overnight but I think I'll keep the service appointment as it could well be either moisture ingress or a loose connection so may well reappear.

Mine kept clearing as well. In fact, it had cleared when I took it in for the service but it didn't matter as it's a well know fault. Definitely keep the service appointment.

If you fancied a heavy brake test, you may find you can trigger the message again on demand.

It will be the charging harness, it runs between the charge port and the battery, many batches of cars have this fault. But far better to see the fault while within warranty. On the invoice, note the part number as it'll be the newer revision without the design defect.

I believe this common fault is actually at the battery end, so it won't be water unless the cabin is filled with water.

I would be surprised if rain is an issue … mine is now entering its 5th winter and it is plugged in every night in rain, snow and “named” storms. If there was a weather related weakness in the design I think I would have found it by now!

Reactions: MadManMark
Mine kept clearing as well. In fact, it had cleared when I took it in for the service but it didn't matter as it's a well know fault. Definitely keep the service appointment.

If you fancied a heavy brake test, you may find you can trigger the message again on demand.

It will be the charging harness, it runs between the charge port and the battery, many batches of cars have this fault. But far better to see the fault while within warranty. On the invoice, note the part number as it'll be the newer revision without the design defect.

I believe this common fault is actually at the battery end, so it won't be water unless the cabin is filled with water.
The Tesla tech couldn't see anything wrong but replaced the AC cable that connects the charge port to the HV battery. It's been OK since and I've charged it twice, so fingers crossed that's sorted it. It was more like an hour to sort out but that was partially because they had to drive round to the supercharger at Cribbs Causeway to test DC charging as the new Bristol SC doesn't have superchargers.

The Tesla tech couldn't see anything wrong but replaced the AC cable that connects the charge port to the HV battery. It's been OK since and I've charged it twice, so fingers crossed that's sorted it. It was more like an hour to sort out but that was partially because they had to drive round to the supercharger at Cribbs Causeway to test DC charging as the new Bristol SC doesn't have superchargers.

Yep, that's the cable as predicted.

Everyone with the error will need that cable replaced. A whole batch of cars have this hidden fault in them, just waiting to show itself.

For info. I had my service appointment on Monday (I liked their Uber credit solution as an aside).

From zero cost Invoice :

Parts Replaced or Added
CP CABLE KIT- AC 3 PHASE-IEC (1509395-10-C)
LABEL- CHARGING IDENTIFIERS (1691926-00-B)
CHARGE PORT DOOR - COMBINE CHARGING STANDARD 2
(CCS2) (1505514-00-D)

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
For info. I had my service appointment on Monday (I liked their Uber credit solution as an aside).

From zero cost Invoice :

Parts Replaced or Added
CP CABLE KIT- AC 3 PHASE-IEC (1509395-10-C)
LABEL- CHARGING IDENTIFIERS (1691926-00-B)
CHARGE PORT DOOR - COMBINE CHARGING STANDARD 2
(CCS2) (1505514-00-D)
Charge Port Door is a curious one.