Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Camera for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.. It's a pretty good price. Just bought 3!

FYI "MassDrop" has the BlackView Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD for $239 w/shipping included for 1 more day:
Massdrop

I bought one...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Princeton, which power connection is there behind the mirror? Is it inside the panel on the ceiling? What power source is there? I am planning to install it and hope to get some insight for power. If you have any pics, that will be great.

Mine is plugged in behind the mirror and left on 24/7. Never had any issues with power drain. If I am out of town for an extended period, I'll probably turn off the wifi, but that's about it.

Hi Princeton, which power connection is there behind the mirror? Is it inside the panel on the ceiling? What power source is there? I am planning to install it and hope to get some insight for power. If you have any pics, that will be great.

Some good tips in this thread here.

Here is what I did:
1) Pull off the microphone grill in the ceiling
2) Using a zip tie aim for a spot about 5-6 inches right of the midline of the car. The zip tie will emerge above the windshield
3) Cut the cigarette lighter adaptor off of the power cable for the dashcam and tape the power cord tightly to the zip tie using electrical tape
4) Pull the ziptie and cable through the headliner to emerge in the microphone compartment. Trim excess wire
5) Insert a connector you can purchase at Fry's Electronics into the connector in the compartment and identify positive and negative leads with a voltmeter.
6) put some heat shrink tubing over your wire and push it back a ways.
7) Solder positive and negative wires in the dashcam cable to the appropriate pins on the connector
8) Plug connector to power and check dashcam
9) Heat shrink wrap the connections together.

Credit to Princeton96 for giving me tips on my installation.

1899362.01.prod.jpg

Note: I couldn't find this exact connector in Palo Alto Fry's--sold out. I found a larger 8 pin connector with the same spacing and cut it with a box cutter. The extra leads pull out fairly easily with needle nose pliers.

Last edited:
Good advice GasDoc, I can add that "DigiKey" has premade coaxial power cables for a dollar or two, and you can get the molex .1 spaced pin connectors, an inline fuse holder and a 2A fuse all ordered at the same time. This way, you won't have to cut up the power cable that comes with the dashcam, if for example you want to use it in a 2nd vehicle via a cigarette lighter. I'll try to get DigKey part numbers, but I don't have the size of the coaxial power connector - yet. If anyone does, let me know so I can order up the parts an post the DigiKey part numbers.

I've used the premade male-female DC coaxial power cords from DigiKey when I did the trunk/frunk LED lighting mod, worked well.

There are literally hundreds of Dash Cam mfgs on Amazon. My head was spinning looking at all the options asking how can the pricing range from $49.0 to over $250.00
Anyone have any recommendations other than BlackVue ?
My head was spinning too. But, I couldn't find a better solution (for me) than the Blackvue DR500GW. I have mine mounted behind my rear view mirror and can't even see it unless I try to.
if you go with $49. quality I can almost guarantee that you will be purchasing another camera within a month. (and it will probably be the Blackvue)

I have a Blackvue DR400g II, and the image quality has degraded significantly, presumably due to heat. I understand that the heat issue is probably been fixed for the DR500, but I still must caution against buying anything from this company. I have been unable to get ahold of anyone to file a warranty claim. They simply ignore my messages submitted through their website, and they provide no other contact information. There are also numerous stories of them denying warranty claims, due to the camera being purchased from unauthorized retailers. Apparently, buying from Amazon is not acceptable. This company simply does not stand behind its products, so I would suggest avoiding them no matter how good their product is.

I have a Blackvue DR400g II, and the image quality has degraded significantly, presumably due to heat. I understand that the heat issue is probably been fixed for the DR500, but I still must caution against buying anything from this company. I have been unable to get ahold of anyone to file a warranty claim. They simply ignore my messages submitted through their website, and they provide no other contact information. There are also numerous stories of them denying warranty claims, due to the camera being purchased from unauthorized retailers. Apparently, buying from Amazon is not acceptable. This company simply does not stand behind its products, so I would suggest avoiding them no matter how good their product is.
I had and returned the BlackVue DR500 due to heat issues.

I have a Blackvue DR400g II, and the image quality has degraded significantly, presumably due to heat. I understand that the heat issue is probably been fixed for the DR500, but I still must caution against buying anything from this company.

I've heard mixed reviews for the Blackvues as well. Is there another/better system you recommend?

Also, since You are in San Diego, any installer recommendations?

I've heard mixed reviews for the Blackvues as well. Is there another/better system you recommend?

Also, since You are in San Diego, any installer recommendations?

No, I haven't replaced mine, yet. It still sort of functions, but the picture is very washed out.

Here's a buying guide for dash cams:

Dash Cam Comparison | Dash Cam Talk

I did the install myself by tapping into the connector behind the mic grill in the ceiling, but I understand Tesla has removed that connector on newer cars. There's a San Diego Tesla Owners group on Facebook, which might be a good place to ask about local installers.

No, I haven't replaced mine, yet. It still sort of functions, but the picture is very washed out.

Here's a buying guide for dash cams:

Dash Cam Comparison | Dash Cam Talk

I did the install myself by tapping into the connector behind the mic grill in the ceiling, but I understand Tesla has removed that connector on newer cars. There's a San Diego Tesla Owners group on Facebook, which might be a good place to ask about local installers.

Just curious - what was the connector for if it was removed?

I would have to guess that it was the connector for the lighted vanity mirrors that was promised last year but never materialized.

FYI, I had both my visors replaced and they still don't have the lighted mirrors. My car came with the mirror glass missing. Lift the flap and nothing was there. I thought they were going to just snap in some glass pieces, but they replaced both visors. I could tell because the air bag warning sticker was slightly different.

I bet you could convince a forum member to make some aftermarket but better-looking-than-OEM stickers. ;)

This is ridiculous!!! I paid for a signature to get top of the line as Tesla promised. Where is my upgraded air bag warning sticker!?!? WTF Tesla. I am am going to email Elon, Jerome, and George B immediately because I am on a first name basis w all of them due to how important I am. I discourage anyone from purchasing any more products from this horrible horrible company if this is how they treat you for buying a $100K car. I am going to go back to buying only German products because I am snooty like that.

This is ridiculous!!! I paid for a signature to get top of the line as Tesla promised. Where is my upgraded air bag warning sticker!?!? WTF Tesla. I am am going to email Elon, Jerome, and George B immediately because I am on a first name basis w all of them due to how important I am. I discourage anyone from purchasing any more products from this horrible horrible company if this is how they treat you for buying a $100K car. I am going to go back to buying only German products because I am snooty like that.
And.... scene.

Nice rage-personation. :)

Anyone have any suggestions on a cam with reliable motion sensor activated recording? I park in a lot of public places so consider this super important.

I installed the Lukas Black Box 7900 and am happy with it. Video quality is great, and it has event recording if someone bumps you while parked. The sensitivity is adjustable, but you must wire it to constant power for this to work.