Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Camera for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Blackvue DR400g II, and the image quality has degraded significantly, presumably due to heat. I understand that the heat issue is probably been fixed for the DR500, but I still must caution against buying anything from this company. I have been unable to get ahold of anyone to file a warranty claim. They simply ignore my messages submitted through their website, and they provide no other contact information. There are also numerous stories of them denying warranty claims, due to the camera being purchased from unauthorized retailers. Apparently, buying from Amazon is not acceptable. This company simply does not stand behind its products, so I would suggest avoiding them no matter how good their product is.

Mark, here is a link on how to clean your camera, it took me less than 5 minutes and my picture is as good as new. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uvh5ws77CQ

Here is a video of a close call from this morning. I'm entering the intersection at around 45mph and some idiot pulls right in front of me, slowly!
(the mph on the video lags a second or two)

[video]http://www.thekohlers.com/CloseCall.mp4[/video]

I installed a dash cam in my wife's MS. I selected this camera because it has both front and rear facing cameras and a flush mount so it sits right up against the glass. It was very simple to install in about 20-30 minutes. All of the wires are hidden. I used the standard power cord plugged into the center console so the whole system can easily be removed. I have been using this cam for several months without any problems. I now have this same cam in my two other vehicles. I bought these from an Ebay vendor called estore09 for about $65 each.
Cam 1.jpg
Cam 2.jpg
Cam 3.jpg
Cam 4.jpg

Looks nice. How did you run the wire to the rear cam and where did you decide to mount it? It looks this is the wire going away from the mirror to the right in your first pic.

I installed a dash cam in my wife's MS. I selected this camera because it has both front and rear facing cameras and a flush mount so it sits right up against the glass. It was very simple to install in about 20-30 minutes. All of the wires are hidden. I used the standard power cord plugged into the center console so the whole system can easily be removed. I have been using this cam for several months without any problems. I now have this same cam in my two other vehicles. I bought these from an Ebay vendor called estore09 for about $65 each.

Looks nice. How did you run the wire to the rear cam and where did you decide to mount it? It looks this is the wire going away from the mirror to the right in your first pic.

Same question for me. How did you run the cable? Does it go under the edge of the headliner, than under side pillar and side and underneath dash? And only 20 minutes to run the line? Where to get power?
Thanks.

Thanks chuck. I'm guessing there is a power supply in that area? From skimming a few posts in that forum it looks like the earlier cars such as mine have a source in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks chuck. I'm guessing there is a power supply in that area? From skimming a few posts in that forum it looks like the earlier cars such as mine have a source in there.

Any idea what the wires are in this connector? The black is neg obviously, and the red is constant power, but I was really hoping that the green was switched. I have an accessory that uses both switched and unswitched, and it would be great if I could put the whole thing behind the mic grille without snaking any wires.

Any idea what the wires are in this connector? The black is neg obviously, and the red is constant power, but I was really hoping that the green was switched. I have an accessory that uses both switched and unswitched, and it would be great if I could put the whole thing behind the mic grille without snaking any wires.

Look at page 4 of this other thread to see a picture of the pin outs. It has 12V and 10V lines on it...
Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)? - Page 4