Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam install experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, just because you take precautions doesn't mean you're a bad driver. if that was the case, why do all cars have seat belts? The dash cam is just incase an accident happens so that you can have hard evidence to support your case if needed. Also, to catch cool astroid videos =D

Well the point wouldn't be to collect evidence that you are a bad driver. If someone hits you or causes you to get I to an accident you can video evidence instead of just your word against theirs. So yes, the data can be used. Some are also used if someone hits your car in a parking lot and drives away.

GoBlue88, apologies for the late reply, I just saw your question.

I have two of these front/back camera systems, one is in the Tesla and another is in a Cayenne.

The cameras are working perfectly and are completely invisible from the inside. Zero issues, and the recordings (both front and back) have been flawless.

I do re-format the SD card once a week just in case, and the Blackvue provides a button that does this right on the camera, so I have not had to remove the SD card from the camera and format it on my PC, which would be a pain.

Hope this helps.

My dash cam is attached to the rearview mirror bracket in an unaesthetic fashion and I'd love to fabricate something that is concave on the top edge to fit the rearview bracket and rectangular on the bottom surface to serve as a mounting point for the camera.

There was talk on one of these dashcam threads of someone designing such a bracket and possibly uploading the design file for others to 3D print. I've searched and can't find the comment from the person who said he was thinking of doing so. Does anyone recall seeing it?

BTW, I have the Lucas 7900 and it has performed well and survived a Texas summer and a Texas winter. I'm very happy with the Lucas.

Well the point wouldn't be to collect evidence that you are a bad driver. If someone hits you or causes you to get into an accident you can video evidence instead of just your word against theirs. So yes, the data can be used. Some are also used if someone hits your car in a parking lot and drives away.

Like mine. My car was parked and somebody hit my rear bumper and broke my tail light. No evidence whatsoever.

Verizon wireless whose parking lot I was parked at ...is not willing to share the CCTV footage.

- - - Updated - - -

My dash cam is attached to the rearview mirror bracket in an unaesthetic fashion and I'd love to fabricate something that is concave on the top edge to fit the rearview bracket and rectangular on the bottom surface to serve as a mounting point for the camera.

There was talk on one of these dashcam threads of someone designing such a bracket and possibly uploading the design file for others to 3D print. I've searched and can't find the comment from the person who said he was thinking of doing so. Does anyone recall seeing it?

BTW, I have the Lucas 7900 and it has performed well and survived a Texas summer and a Texas winter. I'm very happy with the Lucas.

where did you install your dash cam at? I want to install one.

Thanks

I did a self-install of the Blackvue DR650GW-2ch dash cam in my S85. It took some time but I'm very happy with the results and i'm not very handy so I think just about anyone can do it. A few pics below.
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_4110.jpg

Like mine. My car was parked and somebody hit my rear bumper and broke my tail light. No evidence whatsoever.

Verizon wireless whose parking lot I was parked at ...is not willing to share the CCTV footage.

- - - Updated - - -

where did you install your dash cam at? I want to install one.

Thanks

I used very small black tiewraps and attached the Lucas bracket to my rear view mirror housing. I'll take a picture when I get a moment. It's not perfectly straight and my wife hates the way it looks.

Did not get chance to take pictures of the install. My P85D still has the spare connector inside the mic area (right above the rearview mirror). It provides constant power.
It has been there for over 3 weeks now without any problem.
The cable to the rear camera is along the passenger side, just stuck inside the trim, pretty easy.

IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5423.JPG

Did not get chance to take pictures of the install. My P85D still has the spare connector inside the mic area (right above the rearview mirror). It provides constant power.
It has been there for over 3 weeks now without any problem.
The cable to the rear camera is along the passenger side, just stuck inside the trim, pretty easy.

any issues with GPS reception?

any issues with GPS reception?
I only checked a couple times (and watched a few video clips) in the beginning. GPS signal was there for some of the recordings - not sure if it was due to intermittent reception, or just time delay in locking on GPS signal.

Have not bothered checking after that -- just knew the recording works as it talks to me all the time :)

I only checked a couple times (and watched a few video clips) in the beginning. GPS signal was there for some of the recordings - not sure if it was due to intermittent reception, or just time delay in locking on GPS signal.

Have not bothered checking after that -- just knew the recording works as it talks to me all the time :)

My 650 has never been able to acquire a GPS fix. The ezpass next to it does work.

What power source did you use? My VIN is very close to yours so I'm just curious.

There was no extra power/cable in the overhead so I made an ODBII->12V outlet adapter to pull a constant 12V off the ODBII connector (front left wheel well).

Here's a pic:
IMG_4036.jpg

Its non-permanent but also gives me constant supply to watch at all times.

You need a 12V socket you can cut off something (or buy from amazon like this: Amazon.com: Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter: Automotive) and an ODB cable to hack up. This was what I used: Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive

Total was $18 and it only involves cutting and splicing 2 wires.

I installed a Blackvue 550 HD dash cam in my P85. The front camera was easy, especially since power is available above the rear-view mirror. The rear camera was a big pain in the butt. I ran the cable along the sill under the doors and putting the C pillar back in place was difficult. In order to run the cable through the cable guide to the rear hatch I had to cut off the right-angle MCX connector since the connector does not fit through the rubber cable protector. Fortunately I was able to buy a new MCX connector on Ebay that fit the cable perfectly. It was fairly easy to install the new connector onto the end of the coax cable. I also had to drill a hole through the aluminum in the hatchback in order to run the cable. The aluminum was quite thick with two layers. I added a layer of heat-shrink tubing where the cable passes through the aluminum to help protect it and added another piece to go over the connector.

So far it is working perfectly. If I had it to do over again I would have run the cable through the headliner.