Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam install experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the camera is hardwired into the 12v battery. It is set to record for 6 hours after being parked via the MagicPro switches. The MagicPro also monitors the 12v battery voltage so if it starts dropping, the camera automatically shuts off. The camera's don't record the entire time the car is shut off or parked, but only if motion is detected (such as someone walking up to the car), or a bump/jolt is felt by the sensors in the camera. It comes with desktop software (Mac or PC) that allows you to adjust settings as needed, but I have left everything on default settings and so far it has worked as advertised.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the camera is hardwired into the 12v battery. It is set to record for 6 hours after being parked via the MagicPro switches. The MagicPro also monitors the 12v battery voltage so if it starts dropping, the camera automatically shuts off. The camera's don't record the entire time the car is shut off or parked, but only if motion is detected (such as someone walking up to the car), or a bump/jolt is felt by the sensors in the camera. It comes with desktop software (Mac or PC) that allows you to adjust settings as needed, but I have left everything on default settings and so far it has worked as advertised.

Tricolor: did you have them hardwire the camera ? If so where did they do it? I have the blackvue and installed myself but currently just using the 12v outlet. Debating on whether it's worth hardwiring so it can stay on while the car is off.

- - - Updated - - -

GoBlue88: Yes, I had La Jolla Audio buy the cameras and the MagicPro. They stand 100% behind the whole system. They were very reasonable on their pricing and did get the hardware from the authorized US Pittasoft distributor. So while their cost to me was not as low as some of the ones you will find on Amazon, you will also find that many of these cameras being sold on Amazon are Korean or Russian versions hacked to work in English - which renders them unable to accept firmware updates, GPS won't work correctly, and Pittasoft won't provide any technical support, warranty or repair assistance. I believe many of the negative reviews on these cameras on Amazon is due to folks unknowingly buying black market versions that are not intended for sale and use in the US. I knew how much they sold on Amazon, and found La Jolla Audio's price to be fair.

Tricolor: that is awesome, thanks! I was hoping there was a San Diego outfit that could do this install.

Question: did you source the cameras through these guys? That seems to be implied in your post, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Lawyer (for insurance companies) and small claims court mediator here.

The ~$1,000 or less you spend on these is worth every penny with such an expensive car. People lie all the time in accidents, or try to make false insurance claims/statements to police - especially when they realize the damage they did to a bumper on a Model S costs more than their entire car.

Agreed, my dash cam is there to use as evidence if someone wants to try and take me to court and steal all my assets. If you are the only person in your car and you get into a serious wreck and end up in civil court that dash cam footage might be worth everything you've worked for in your life. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Agreed, my dash cam is there to use as evidence if someone wants to try and take me to court and steal all my assets. If you are the only person in your car and you get into a serious wreck and end up in civil court that dash cam footage might be worth everything you've worked for in your life. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Get umbrella insurance as well if you don't have it.

Reactions: javawolfpack
Greetings,

I don't know the dashcam market in the US but there is a very popular blog in Europe by a Brit who specialized in video-reviews of dashcams: TechMoan.
Techmoan - Techmoan
The guy is obviously working in IT and makes some pretty good video-editing with hands-on geek tips.

There are several must-see posts:

- The Dashcam he personnaly uses, including WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor):
Techmoan - Techmoan - The Mini 0801 - Tiny 1080p GPS Car Camera with an LCDScreen
Note: I use two of them in a BMW 330d xDrive with Uber_Paris, one front & one back, great recording and super discrete indeed.
Most riders (99%) don't detect them from inside.

- A beginner's guide to Dashcams Car DVR Cameras:
A Beginners Guide to Car Dashcam DVR Cameras - YouTube

- Q: Which car camera is best for catching a vandal in the act ? A: None of them :
Techmoan - Techmoan - Q) Which car camera is best for catching a vandal in the act? A) None ofthem.

Hope this helps for newcomers to dashcams.

EPB
PS: I have no relation with Techmoan.

Greetings,

I don't know the dashcam market in the US but there is a very popular blog in Europe by a Brit who specialized in video-reviews of dashcams: TechMoan.
Techmoan - Techmoan

His review of the Mini 801 is what led me to try one out. Video was actually really good for a $100 cam. Unfortunately, the motion sensor for a "parking mode" on that cam doesn't work well. It detects motion pretty good, but when it starts recording it usually misses 5 seconds. Not that big of a deal, but the real problem was when driving it would stop recording at a red light if it didn't detect enough motion and then when you started driving.. it would miss 5 seconds. I was usually through the intersection before it started recording again. But if motion isn't important, it's a pretty good GPS enabled, low-cost cam.

Returned it to Amazon and went with the Blackvue 550. Been pretty happy with it.

For those questioning the value of a dash cam, it is like extra insurance, and also, if you're into it, it might also provide amusement, making videos of your drives, etc.

Earlier this year, I was at a stop light and the person in front of me rolled backwards slightly (there was no significant hill) and their tailget damaged my front fascia slightly. When the light turned green, I followed them for a little bit assuming they would pull over. Instead the person cut across two lanes and sped off onto a freeway onramp. Yes, I was foolish in not getting their license plate. I wasn't thinking clearly and I just assumed that they were about to pull over at first. Now I'm going to pay for the repair myself because I was reading that in this situation, the insurance company will just count this as a comprehensive claim rather than hit & run, since I don't have any evidence really or even any witness, and I'll end up paying for it anyway in increased rates.

If I had a dash cam, I wouldn't have this problem. True, I should have noted the vehicle plates and description, but still there are other situations in which dash cams could help. Dash cams can record events that happen when your car is parked and you're not there, for example. And of course, they will help in any event where another party is not honest and it would otherwise be your word against theirs.

• Helpful
Reactions: javawolfpack
His review of the Mini 801 is what led me to try one out. Video was actually really good for a $100 cam. Unfortunately, the motion sensor for a "parking mode" on that cam doesn't work well. It detects motion pretty good, but when it starts recording it usually misses 5 seconds. Not that big of a deal, but the real problem was when driving it would stop recording at a red light if it didn't detect enough motion and then when you started driving.. it would miss 5 seconds. I was usually through the intersection before it started recording again. But if motion isn't important, it's a pretty good GPS enabled, low-cost cam.

Returned it to Amazon and went with the Blackvue 550. Been pretty happy with it.

Hello cgiGuy,

I agree 100% with your point about the motion sensor, I think it's an overhyped feature for most people who, assuming they can grab a few seconds of the vandal on camera, will fail to translate that into a positive ID and so on.
The only way, as TechMoan explained in the above video, to produce and submit convincing recordings is to have external CCTVs filming the offender approaching and then damaging your car.

If your dashcam stops recording at red lights, which is probably a spot where you want to record, the easiest solution is to turn-off the Motion Detection so it stays 100% on and recording.
I've done it myself and it works perfect.

What's the purpose of having the dash cam? I'm curious...

I drive a lot and I can think of 3 time's I wished that I had a dash cam.

1) In 2011 I was rear ended and the guy took off. I couldn't chase him and he left before I could snap a picture of his license plate. So I got stuck with the bill.

2) In 2013 a piece of center decider came off and hit my car. It was on the freeway, in a construction zone. The CHP Officer took my statement but since there were no witnesses, the State of California dismissed my insurance claim. If I had the dash cam I could of proved it fell off and hit my car. $2,000 in repairs

3) Just 2 weeks ago a motorcyclist was splitting the lane between me and the car next to me. He clipped the side of my car, then took off before I could read his plate. Fortunately there was no visible damage.

Then there's just the crazy stuff I've seen on the road that would of been cool if I had got it on camera.

So I guess it seems silly until something happens that a dash came would of saved you a lot if grief over. I'll be getting one installed at some point. It's high on my list

I had been looking at getting a dash cam installed, and while I generally do not shy away from technical challenges, I thought this task would be one to those that I should probably leave to the professionals.

I asked the San Diego SC for a recommendation, and they suggested La Jolla Audio. I called them and scheduled the install, and have had a wonderful experience, so I wanted to share the results with other owners.

I chose the Blackvue Wi-Fi 2-CH DRG550GW that provides coverage for both the front and rear (2 camera setup). Here are a few of photos of the front and rear cameras:

View attachment 49868 View attachment 49870 View attachment 49871View attachment 49872

In my opinion, they did the most professional and esthetic installation possible. I don't think anyone has installed these 2 channel dash cams from BlackVue in San Diego, but the installers at La Jolla Audio are really technically gifted engineers and had no difficulty in figuring out how to implement this system. BTW, La Jolla Audio provides cameras from Pittasoft's authorized USA distributor, so I have not run into any of the firmware or functional problems folks have had with hacked Korean versions of these dash cams sold through Amazon. La Jolla Audio also installed the Pittasoft MagicPro so the cameras continue to record even while the car is off or parked - without the danger of killing the 12v battery.

As you can see, their work pretty much looks OEM factory installed. The cost was around $800 in labor plus the cost of the Blackvue hardware and MagicPro. I could not be happier, and everything "just works", and looks great.

Also, the car was delivered cleaner than it went in as La Jolla Audio washed and detailed my MS prior to delivery at no charge, and I had never asked! Very nice touch and shows how much pride they take in what they do.

Additionally, I had a small dent on the hood of the Tesla - nothing to do with the dash cam install, but La Jolla Audio indicated that they may be able to fix it, and they did; perfectly by the way, for $125. The quote from Amato's body shop was $800... so they are not only A+ installers, but have access to talent that can take care of minor dings on aluminum body parts as well.

I was so happy with the outcome, that I had them install the same dash cam system in my Porsche Cayenne GTS and they will be doing my Viper as well. I worked with Scott, and found him to be honest, sincere, and 100% transparent.

My $0.02 of experience with this sort of thing.

how long did it take to install both cameras?

See my post above--it took me (reasonably handy & comfortable with DIY projects/repairs) a good 3-4 hours of slow methodical work since I had never had the trim panels etc. apart before. Bet I could knock it out in a couple of hours now if I had to do it again. However note that I have an older build with the 12V in the headliner above the microphone grille, so would save time tapping into the area behind the glovebox.