Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous Touchscreens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't. We are a single car family. The other driver likes the car. When he dies, it will be sold.
Another user from a single-car family in Ottawa here, although one where both halves of the marriage love the Tesla and are very comfortable with the screen controls. I had anticipated that my wife might really dislike that particular aspect of owning a Tesla, as she is not usually as patient with technology as I am. The first time we got into the car together, I immediately started apologizing for the screen, hoping that other aspects of the car would make up for her certain aversion to it. I need not have bothered...she got used to it even faster than I did. And within a week, neither of us was looking back.

I don't think that the screen is unsafe or that I spend any more time searching out essential controls than I did in our previous standard cars. Tesla could refine some features and organization of the touch screen, as they have been doing, but the basic idea of it is just fine in my opinion. I would not willingly go back to standard controls.

That's an interesting point that I have not seen discussed. I have never used pin-to-drive so I'm not familiar with it. Can you start the car and drive it by using the phone app when pin-to-drive is set in the car?

Yes you can. Had a weird reboot once when I was getting in the car and needed to move it NOW* because I was blocking traffic while getting out my father in law and his wheelchair. Pulled out phone and did a start from the phone app and it worked.

*Why are places allowed to not only have more curbside pickup than handicapped spots, but also have then closer to the front door?

Reactions: SO16 and dusty22
I've done the defroster control in the bottom left spot too. My husband has rear defroster in his profile but it isn't an option I'm offered in my profile. I thought it didn't matter until I learned that the side mirror heaters only turn on when you turn on rear defrost. As a result I want it (or will next November) but can't figure out why it isn't one of the features I can drag down to the precious spots on the screen but he can. (Although as I type this, the main difference between our two profiles is he has FSDb turned on and I don't, so maybe that's why. The only other difference between us is that he uses a fob and I use a phone key.)
Those are testable hypotheses but unlikely. Is the bottom bar full? Can it get too full for the defroster?

What happens when you try to enter the UI mode to drag that icon then try to drag it?

It's their relative position on the bottom bar that I use to remember which defroster icon is which. One window isn't squarer than the other, so the icons are not memorable.

Last edited:
Those are testable hypotheses but unlikely. Is the bottom bar full? Can it get too full for the defroster?

What happens when you try to enter the UI mode to drag that icon then try to drag it?
Bottom bar not full is full but I would substitute one of my choices in the winter so I could defrost my side mirrors.

There is no rear-defroster icon in the UI to drag down.

Edited to add: I haven't tested my "I need to have FSDb enabled" hypothesis yet because I don't have time to spend on this *sugar*. My other cars didn't need to be debugged and relearned all the time. I hate it with the entertainment system but I'll cut it some slack with that because it isn't an essential part of driving a car. Desfrosting one's surfaces in freezing rain is.

Pretty much everything people complain about was already "solved" with a physical button/switch/dial/lever. It was only when they were migrated to the infotainment screen that the problems arose.

Infrequently used controls like configuring summon, suspension, traction control, whether your headlights come on when you exit the car or not, steering effort, navigation interface, browsing media, etc. are fine to move to a touchscreen interface. You rarely need to change their status/setting, and when you do, the car is often stopped.

{Forwarded to local PD for possible future suspicious death investigation}
I'm good, the car was bought as a distraction during covid lockdowns and waiting for open heart surgery. So it was something positive in our lives.

Now, it is just a car to me but still positive for him. He knows if he doesn't live, the car is a goner. I would have sold it when it was worth more than we paid for it but that wasn't an option.

As he just went through another round of open heart surgery that's why I'm so pissed with the UI updates. The last thing I want to have to think about is stuff not working as it did a while ago as I'm the primary driver these day to all the effing appointments. I put off the Christmas Update until after the surgery just for that reason, I didn't have the mental bandwidth to learn a new system and gave Tesla time to fix some of the bugs. Updates are a pain for us because the car is in an underground parking spot with no access to wifi. So we either go and download at our SC, or, lately, I've been using my data on the phone but do updates above ground in case the car bricks during the process. Honestly, I hate the car so much, spending an extra hour to move the car, sit in the car while it downloads, and then again while it updates is not anything I want to do with my limited time and energy these days.

But with the improvements to FSB and the single stack, we did some of the updates and are still waiting for something beyond 2022.45.15 to be offered to us. The NAV update came under two weeks after we got to where we are now and I expected the latest update within a week but zilch. Elon is probably having me tracked on social media and knows how much I hate the car. I'm all about buttons and the next one gives me wiper controls on the scroll wheel. And larger fonts. You'd think Elon would push the stuff I want to me to shut me up but nope.

I'm good, the car was bought as a distraction during covid lockdowns and waiting for open heart surgery. So it was something positive in our lives.

Now, it is just a car to me but still positive for him. He knows if he doesn't live, the car is a goner. I would have sold it when it was worth more than we paid for it but that wasn't an option.

As he just went through another round of open heart surgery that's why I'm so pissed with the UI updates. The last thing I want to have to think about is stuff not working as it did a while ago as I'm the primary driver these day to all the effing appointments. I put off the Christmas Update until after the surgery just for that reason, I didn't have the mental bandwidth to learn a new system and gave Tesla time to fix some of the bugs. Updates are a pain for us because the car is in an underground parking spot with no access to wifi. So we either go and download at our SC, or, lately, I've been using my data on the phone but do updates above ground in case the car bricks during the process. Honestly, I hate the car so much, spending an extra hour to move the car, sit in the car while it downloads, and then again while it updates is not anything I want to do with my limited time and energy these days.

But with the improvements to FSB and the single stack, we did some of the updates and are still waiting for something beyond 2022.45.15 to be offered to us. The NAV update came under two weeks after we got to where we are now and I expected the latest update within a week but zilch. Elon is probably having me tracked on social media and knows how much I hate the car. I'm all about buttons and the next one gives me wiper controls on the scroll wheel. And larger fonts. You'd think Elon would push the stuff I want to me to shut me up but nope.
I hope the surgery goes well and he has many years left, but also hope you can get a car you like either through Tesla updates or moving on to another brand. I held off on updating for over 2 years because of the UI garbage. The most recent update with the wiper controls on the scroll wheel tipped me over and I updated. Still don't love the look of the modern UI, but the added controls over what I had is quite nice now. Just a shame it took them over a year to get V11 to be what I considered an upgrade to the old V9 (or even V10) UI. I am just happy to finally be in an upswing where Tesla is improving things again after years of them pumping out garbage updates, taking things away, and making the cars worse. Hell, all the cars are getting the regen setting back now as well. About time. I just hope Elon continues to be occupied elsewhere so we can continue to get nice things.

Funnily enough, I had a screen freeze on the way home from a trip to Charlottesville VA.... Screen got very laggy - MPH wasn't delayed changing, navi lagged.... I was coming up to a charging stop so figured I would just reboot it at the stop, but it rebooted itself and went back to normal. NBD See pic below - stopped at red light.

IMG_3835.jpg

I ... hope you can get a car you like either through Tesla updates or moving on to another brand.
I hope the updates will come. We got the defrost back after the Dec '21 debacle and now the scroll wheel customization so this is a distinct possibility. It is just frustrating and slow.

We both hope/expect this to be our last car. In theory EVs last longer and our pattern was a new car every 8 years so we were thinking 10 - 12 for this one which take my husband past his Best-Before date (not likely to be alive based on family history and current issues) and me past Best-Before date for dementia based on generations of genetic data. The state of FSD has been a sore point since I was counting on it extending the time we could drive safely by a year or more but in fact it takes more brain power to wrestle than an ICE with cruise control and lane keep.

With the updates, the car won't get as dated as other vehicles, so if we can keep the inside and outside looking fresh, the updates should keep the features relatively fresh, at least compared to hybrids of the same age.

If it has to be replaced, I'm unlikely to buy another Tesla but will have a hard time moving away from an EV. I thought a PHEV would be a better choice for us but lately I learned that in cold weather the ICE has to run because the battery won't handle the HVAC (something that makes sense but I didn't think about.) So that negates the value of a PHEV to me; I may as well save the money and just go back to a hybrid. On the other hand, 5 - 7 years from now, road trips may be more limited due to health and pumping gas even more annoying so an EV would still be the best choice, there will be more choice in vehicles, and charging infrastructure will be improved so we can switch to a better EV fit for me. When we bought the MY it was the only vehicle that fit our size/range/price-point needs and we got it in under 3 weeks as opposed to over a year for a hybrid Rav4 which was the identified replacement for our PriusV. Now there is more choice and I know more about myself and what I need from a vehicle.

As much as I hate the car, the Tesla shone during the pandemic in that it became our mobile isolation chamber. And there was one unexpectedly long appointment for my husband last winter where I dozed for 2 hours, listening to podcasts, parked on a side street, sun coming down to lift my spirits but cozy and warm in the car without having to think about emissions, or range since one leaves fully charged each day when you can plug in at home, even if it is only 110V.

Funnily enough, I had a screen freeze on the way home from a trip to Charlottesville VA.... Screen got very laggy - MPH wasn't delayed changing, navi lagged.... I was coming up to a charging stop so figured I would just reboot it at the stop, but it rebooted itself and went back to normal. NBD See pic below - stopped at red light.

View attachment 936727
I had a screen freeze this morning as well. I had to reboot the computer at a traffic stop. First time in my 12 mo ownership.