Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control denied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. This may increase seatbelt use, but it does less to deter people from doing something even more stupid like climbing out of the seat entirely. tying it to the seat occupancy sensor would make that much more difficult.

Do we still need to train people to wear their seatbelts? as evidenced by this thread, apparently yes. But as driver assistance features become more common, we're also going to have to train people to stay in their seats, and this doesn't do that. (This is why some other manufacturers require you to keep your hands on the wheel, something that Tesla thankfully does not appear to be doing)

I hate this feature so much. if I take my seat belt off while driving, it's for a reason that would reduce the safety of my driving. I don't then want the car reducing the safety of my driving further by disabling cruise control (or autopilot, but that's another story). I remember the first time I noticed this, I was reaching for something on the passenger floorboard with autopilot on, but the seat belt was holding me an inch or two too far away so I unclipped it for 1-2 seconds when all hell broke loose on the highway. car is screaming at me and flashing red warnings like i'm about to crash or something the cars slowing down inappropriately. the whole situation immediately became significantly less safe ti the point of being dangerous when I was only intending to do something that would momentarily reduce safety. obviously this hasn't stopped me from operating within parameters that some people *might* consider unsafe but that I consider well above my base level of "safety". it has just made these situations more if a hassle then they need to be because I have to steer and manipulate the pedals while doing things (just like in all my previous vehicles EXCEPT they would at least let me keep the dang cruise control on without a seat belt). I kinda understand autosteer (maybe, to like percent people from doing all that nonsense where they leave the seat etc), but I honestly believe disabling the system when just cruise control is enabled when the seat belt is unlatched makes things less safe than if it remained on. I don't welcome attacks on my behavior, but I do welcome alternate viewpoints on specifically whether this increases safety, decreases safety, or leaves the safety level unchanged that cruise control disables when you unbuckle (assuming unbuckling is what a person is doing in this hypothetical scenario). thanks for reading. I love you all.