Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could TMC make investor specific 30 min interview with Elon to happen?

Such interview would be a

• good idea.

Votes: 53 93.0%
  • bad idea

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • no opinion

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been thinking, if there are people at Tesla who read the forums, they must already be aware of the sorts of questions we'd like answered. I wonder if they might consider hiring a "community relations" person who can post on the forums in an authoritative capacity? Has there been any official participation from Tesla here since George B. retired? I think it's possible that Tesla and Elon are already giving us all the long term guidance they can give us, or are willing to give us, via the blog on the Tesla Motors Web site. I suppose I should spend more time poking around the official TM forums but there just seems to be more better info here!

Despite my skepticism I did vote "Good Idea" on the poll. Like Johnny Five, I always want "more input!"

I believe I have recently seen a member by the name of "Teslamotors" that has posted some things that seem to have the authoritative capacity you seek.

Last edited:
Never going to happen. Our questions would be way too good. If we really put our heads together to come up with the best 15 questions or so they would all be unanswerable. I mean, I would like it to succeed but Elon would say no if he was smart. TMC questions:

1) where will the gigafactories be built?
2) what, exactly, are the battery innovations that you are working on?
3) Do you have any plan to ever introduce any sort of metal-air battery tech, or can TMC quit worrying about that?
4) How exactly do you transition from a 1 car factory company to a multiple factory car company? Where would TM expand, and on what timeframe? Would you buy or renovate?
5) What exactly is your post-gen 3 lineup strategy? Do you seriously envision making a big portfolio of pickups, city cars, sportscars, big SUV, mini SUV, limos etc? Or do you imagine that by the time that gen 3 is a knockout success TM migrates to more of a service company enabling it's competitors? Does TM want to become an industry behemoth or just serve as a catalyst to change the existing industry lineup?
6) Is JB your successor? What is your exit strategy? It feels that you want to transition to be more spacex eventually. What does that plan look like?
7) Was the Model s REALLY designed the way it is because that is the best, or did you run our of time to make it perfect? The front end feels unfinished, and the glaring lack of cupholders speaks to some haste and tradeoffs getting to market.
8) Why is the Model S so expensive? If you figure the average model S is 100k, and the profit margin is 25%, you must be spending 75k on each car. A reasonable ~200$/kWh estimate for the battery pack yields a pack cost on the order of $20k, give or take. So that leaves about 50k to build a basic car with "no drive train". That seems absurdly expensive, and not competitive with your competitors. Is this a result of poor costs that we can expect to go down over time, or what? If you were able to build "gliders" at the rate of a BMW, that seems to suggest that Model S should be far more profitable.
9) You once suggested that TM would have an "autopilot" capable of ramp to ramp sort of autonomy. That seems impossible for existing model S'. Does that mean that it is Model X only? Will model S be upgradeable? How are you so confident, and at such a quick timetable? Is this just mobileye tech? How exactly would this play out? It seems far too soon for that level of autonomy.
10) What is the real deal with Hydrogen hype? What game are these companies playing at? Is it an effort to "poison pill" all green power? Do they secretly think it is a terrible product that will sour the public on "green power" while sucking up billions in infrastructure spending?

Well, those are my questions for now. My advice to EM would be to not answer them :)

Last edited:
Thank you Tesla team

It is always interesting and tantalizing to hear Tesla team telling their story. It is one of the most enjoyable and promising stories that I have heard. Thank you Tesla team.

From the investment point of view, I do not have any questions that I wish to put to Tesla team. My preference is to let them choose to tell their story in their own way.

My investment decisions are based on evaluating their actions rather than on hearing their words. Actions speak louder than words.

Last edited: