Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to upgrade 1.5 -> 2.0 or 2.0 -> 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone. Two more q's for the road:
2) How much better is the 2.0 push button transmission compared to the 1.5 lever?

It's not IMO. There are many things I love about my 2.5 including tire learning, double din w/ backup cam, kW meter, temps displayed on the VDS, supportive seats, quieter, etc., etc. But there are a couple things I would much rather have from a 1.5. One of them is the shift lever.

I'm not a fan of the shift lever. The cabin is so small in the Roadster and it seems like the shift lever just takes up precious room. If there's a shift lever, I want to shift through gears while revving a 6-speed manual transmission. But P, N, R, and D only? I'll happily take the push button gear selector. Just wish it were push button start, too...

Probably the way to describe is that some engineers that work for Tesla did some experiments on their own personal roadsters.

Here's some photos I posted in another thread awhile back.

I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks, but I meant to post these I took three weeks ago late Sunday night of a Roadster that had a Model S charge port. Pictures were taken at the HQ on Deer Creek.

View attachment 49943View attachment 49944

But Henry's CAN SR includes active components. I thought a passive adapter would not work.

Not only that but there's no latch to hold it in. A slight tug on the cable and you end up with a live disconnect. I don't think what you saw was an adapter that you can take out of the charge port. I could be wrong but the engineers I know who converted their Roadsters said they had to remove the OEM inlet.

Not only that but there's no latch to hold it in. A slight tug on the cable and you end up with a live disconnect. I don't think what you saw was an adapter that you can take out of the charge port. I could be wrong but the engineers I know who converted their Roadsters said they had to remove the OEM inlet.

Correct, what I saw was not removable but a full blown conversion. Then all that was needed was the $100 Model S to J1772 adapter to use at standard chargers.

I thought the Double DIN was only on 2.5? Where was the display screen on 2.0 for the backup camera if not the double DIN screen?

While the Double DIN was only on the 2.5, Tesla briefly offered an official Double DIN upgrade, including the stock Alpine system.

On my 2.0, I added a back up camera to the stock JVC head unit, which has a video input. Resolution was not the best, but it was better than nothing.

null_zpsa809b179.jpg

I've since done a full Double DIN conversion and kept the backup camera.

Well, I've found one major benefit of the push buttons over the shift lever, though hopefully it won't matter to most people.

I hurt my left knee playing softball, the result of which is I have a knee immobilizer. This means that I can't bend at the knee at all. It turns out that the distance from my hip to the bottom of my foot is larger than the opening in the door of my 2.0 Roadster.

So, so get in I turn around backward, slide over the center console until I'm sitting on the passenger's seat with my feet sticking out the door, rotate my leg in, and then move back over to the driver's seat.

A shift lever would probably get in the way of this, and you can't put it down like the parking break.

OK, this is not a big advantage to most people, but this week it's huge for me. :)