Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Florida. Huge case numbers and hospitals on track to match last winters peak perhaps by the end of next week.

Not really - your conclusion appears to be inconsistent with the current data for Omicron.
See the article below regarding the decoupling trend for Cases vs Hospitalizations and Deaths.

1640818924289.png

Not really - your conclusion appears to be inconsistent with the current data for Omicron.
See the article below regarding the decoupling trend for Cases vs Hospitalizations and Deaths.

View attachment 749768

From that linked article…
However, even with this decoupling, some states still have very high hospitalizations. For example, Ohio hospitalizations are 105% of what they were for last winter.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
From that linked article…
These graphs, posted to Twitter, compare the relative rates of cases to hospitalizations for Delta and Omicron. We’re still early in the Omicron wave, but the dashed red line for Omicron hospitalization looks like it’s on a track to surpass the absolute Delta numbers soon. Hospitalizations lag and Florida’s new infection case numbers have continued to zoom higher in the last 5 days.

Note that the hospitalizations for children are already surpassing Delta.

Adult:
8C6CC48D-6DF4-4ADD-9D98-E65AED5142AE.jpeg

Child:
6FE627D0-AA00-4CEF-83C8-8711904C96E8.jpeg

These graphs, posted to Twitter, compare the relative rates of cases to hospitalizations for Delta and Omicron. We’re still early in the Omicron wave, but the dashed red line for Omicron hospitalization looks like it’s on a track to surpass the absolute Delta numbers soon. Hospitalizations lag and Florida’s new infection case numbers have continued to zoom higher in the last 5 days.

Note that the hospitalizations for children are already surpassing Delta.

Adult:
View attachment 750022

Child:
View attachment 750023
Worth noting that hospitalizations are a coarse measure, and not all hospitalizations are equal. Fortunately, it really does seem like Omicron hospitalizations are more mild than prior variant hospitalizations - perhaps even milder than early, wild type.

So we can hope that while the hospitals are busy, perhaps they won’t have to worry about running out of oxygen and ventilators - it looks like the need is really lower.

Whether this is due to vaccination or an inherent difference is harder to determine.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Are those the MCA version that actually works against Omicron? Or are they saving those for really important people.
Work against AFAIK. ie. Gov purchase of Sotrovimab in Nov.

However, various articles on how hospitals should migrate/mix using the old and new types .... after all, there will be a transitory period where patients have Delta vs Omicron. 100:0, then 90:10, then 70:30 ... 10:90, etc.

Some hopeful news about efficacy of the J&J vaccine/booster:

New COVID studies show promise for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine booster

"Two new studies of a Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine booster showed promise against the omicron variant at a time when public health officials are urgently recommending booster shots against the fast-spreading variant.

One study was conducted in some 69,000 health care workers in South Africa. Results showed the vaccine reduced hospitalizations by 85% when comparing people who got two doses of the J&J vaccine to people who had a single dose.
A second study from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston showed that blood from people who had received booster doses of the J&J vaccine had strong immune responses to omicron in the lab — stronger even than the response produced by a booster dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. The stronger the immune response in the lab, the more likely the vaccine will prove effective at preventing serious illness in the real world.

Neither study has yet appeared in a peer-reviewed scientific journal."

There are so many factors
- Time since last vaccination / last infection
- Type of vaccine / last infection variant
- How many doses / vaccine + infection combination …

They need to do proper multi-variant analysis …
The multiple studies showing how the reproductive capability differs in different tissues does suggest an underlying reason for the difference, at least. In this case, I agree with @bkp_duke ’s assessment. I would not describe it as “mild” for an immune-naive individual though, in spite of the changes. It seems amply capable of killing and doing serious damage, without any protection in place.

I suspect that given the breakthrough rates, time since infection or vaccination is actually a relatively weak factor in prognosis - once you get out 2-3 months from those events, since then you’re just taking about the more durable second line of defense.

I’d guess at that point it just comes down to how many doses/infections you’ve had in total; the more the better, due to better targeting and faster response.

View attachment 750168
I just can't believe these numbers...I realize hospitalizations and deaths are lower but wow.

I figured for the last couple weeks that a single-day figure of 1 million cases was possible, but I didn’t think the 7da would get to that. Now I wonder, given we seem to be in the early days of this two-week spike…

Given underascertainment, seems like 1/3 people in the US could get this in a month (20 million cases, 110 million infections). Better than the most impressive vaccination campaign, I guess.

We’ll see how it turns out; extremely difficult to predict exactly when it will break as we don’t actually know how many people are truly susceptible.

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky