Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least some scientists think omicron evolved in animal rather than human hosts. COVID-19 has spread among many types of animals, but the original didn't spread readily among rodents. But omicron has some mutations that seem to help the virus infect rodents.

I heard on NPR today a story about snow leopards in the wild in Asia. they are already threatened thanks to human encroachment, but they are facing another threat. They appear to be extremely vulnerable to COVID. 4 in zoos around the world have already died from it and they can get it from animals they kill.

Interesting about rodents and omicron. That's too close to the black death scenario for comfort.

Interesting about rodents and omicron. That's too close to the black death scenario for comfort.
Rats got a bad rap there. The latest research indicates that although rats were the vector in the plague of 1890 in China, the Medieval plague that wiped out one third of Europe spread far too quickly for rats to be the vector--only humans moved that fast. The earlier thinking was based on how the 1890 plague spread.

On another board, somebody posted this:

HchJrQC.jpg

For the religious who have been praying for a cure I say, "The vaccination may be the answer to your prayer."

This reminds me of the story of the guy stuck in a flood. He's on the roof of his house praying to God to save him. A fellow comes along in a rowboat and offers to take him to safety. "No thanks" says the guy. "God will save me." In similar manner he turns away a speedboat and a helicopter. Finally the flood sweeps away his house and as he's drowning he says, "God, why didn't you save me?" And a booming voice comes out of the sky: "What are you talking about? I sent you a rowboat, a speedboat, and a helicopter!"

Religious people who reject science are rejecting what God gave us. (If there is a God.)

Foiled. But kinda funny...

Italian man tries to dodge Covid jab using fake arm

"An Italian man who wanted a Covid vaccination certificate without getting the jab turned up for his vaccine with a fake arm, officials say.
The man, in his 50s, arrived for his shot with a silicone mould covering his real arm, hoping it would go unnoticed.
But a nurse was not fooled and the man has now been reported to the police.
The nurse told local media that when she had rolled up his sleeve, she found the skin "rubbery and cold" and the pigment "too light".

Foiled. But kinda funny...

Italian man tries to dodge Covid jab using fake arm

"An Italian man who wanted a Covid vaccination certificate without getting the jab turned up for his vaccine with a fake arm, officials say.
The man, in his 50s, arrived for his shot with a silicone mould covering his real arm, hoping it would go unnoticed.
But a nurse was not fooled and the man has now been reported to the police.
The nurse told local media that when she had rolled up his sleeve, she found the skin "rubbery and cold" and the pigment "too light".
Sounds like a Jive turkey.

Masks work. Turns out that's true even when you try and disprove that fact

Missouri commissioned, then buried, a report that found mask mandates likely save lives

"The office of Missouri Gov. Mike Parson (R) asked the state health department on Nov. 1 to study how mask mandates affected COVID-19 numbers in the state, and the health department responded Nov. 3 that its analysis found they saved lives and reduced the spread of the coronavirus. But that analysis wasn't made public until nonprofit news organizations obtained it through a public records request...
The Independent's analysis found that the "masked" areas had 15.8 new COVID-19 cases a day for every 100,000 residents, versus 21.7 cases per 100,000 residents in the areas with no mask mandates, and less frequent deaths."

The article also has a link to a study published a few weeks ago in the BMJ

Effectiveness of public health measures in reducing the incidence of covid-19, SARS-CoV-2 transmission, and covid-19 mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis

"Conclusions This systematic review and meta-analysis suggests that several personal protective and social measures, including handwashing, mask wearing, and physical distancing are associated with reductions in the incidence covid-19. Public health efforts to implement public health measures should consider community health and sociocultural needs, and future research is needed to better understand the effectiveness of public health measures in the context of covid-19 vaccination."

Masks work. Turns out that's true even when you try and disprove that fact

Missouri commissioned, then buried, a report that found mask mandates likely save lives

"The office of Missouri Gov. Mike Parson (R) asked the state health department on Nov. 1 to study how mask mandates affected COVID-19 numbers in the state, and the health department responded Nov. 3 that its analysis found they saved lives and reduced the spread of the coronavirus. But that analysis wasn't made public until nonprofit news organizations obtained it through a public records request...
The Independent's analysis found that the "masked" areas had 15.8 new COVID-19 cases a day for every 100,000 residents, versus 21.7 cases per 100,000 residents in the areas with no mask mandates, and less frequent deaths."

The article also has a link to a study published a few weeks ago in the BMJ

Effectiveness of public health measures in reducing the incidence of covid-19, SARS-CoV-2 transmission, and covid-19 mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis

"Conclusions This systematic review and meta-analysis suggests that several personal protective and social measures, including handwashing, mask wearing, and physical distancing are associated with reductions in the incidence covid-19. Public health efforts to implement public health measures should consider community health and sociocultural needs, and future research is needed to better understand the effectiveness of public health measures in the context of covid-19 vaccination."
This works better.

Anything less than that is simply reckless.

This works better.

Anything less than that is simply reckless.

At $300, not many people can afford that. Calling it reckless to wear a two-layer cloth mask or N-95 mask, rather than a $300 full-face mask with four HEPA filters, is falling into the fallacy of thinking that anything less than perfect is no good at all.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."

You don't need that thing to be reasonably safe. Get vaccinated, wear a mask in public, wash your hands, avoid crowds, especially crowds of idiot anti-vaxxers and idiot anti-maskers. A full-face mask with air filter is appropriate for people in some jobs. But calling "anything less" "reckless" is ridiculous.

I am fully vaccinated and boosted, in good health, exercise regularly; I wear a mask in public and wash my hands and don't go anywhere there are crowds. I am more likely to die in a car crash than die of covid. It is not "reckless" of me or others in my position to follow the recommendations rather than wearing a $300 gas mask.

People who are immunocompromised and living with idiot anti-vaxxers might be better off with the $300 full-face air-filter mask.