Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do up regulate the [ACE2] receptor
That data is conflicting and has not been shown in humans. The indirect evidence (serum ACE2) is also conflicting. And in any case, there is no data at all for human pulmonary apical cells.

All we can say for now, based on case control studies, is that an association with Covid infection or Covid severity of infection has not been found. That is not the be all and end all of this question but it is certainly reassuring.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and dfwatt
This plays to the trumper POV, but what is your guess for the IHR in the under 70 crowd ?
Or in the non-NH crowd ?

IHR: infection hospitalization rate

I haven't seen any hardcore Trumpers admitting that the total infection fatality rate is anything like 1%. That would mean 2,5-3.2 million deaths in an unrestrained epidemic and of course that's optimistic because all the people who might survive at that IFR who need hospital care probably would not get it. So that's still an overall profoundly serious IFR. In terms of IFR in the under 70 crowd, are you talkin with or without so-called comorbidities?

PS I see you're asking about hospitalization rate? Or are you asking about case fatality rate among those hospitalized?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: kbM3 and madodel
Are you seriously suggesting that Trump is not a closet white nationalist?
Your question was not toward me, but I answer yes.

No closet involved, and he is a sociopathic racist fascist, not a simple nationalist. Trumpers love to point out that he has not persecuted *every* minority, as if that absolves him. Concentration camps, anyone ?

Yes.

No closet involved, and he is a sociopathic racist fascist, not a simple nationalist. Trumpers love to point out that he has not persecuted *every* minority, as if that absolves him. Concentration camps, anyone ?

Obviously I am no fan of Trump and I'm certainly not defending him. In terms of concentration camps, he already has those in terms of his immigrant camps at the border. Those are functionally concentration camps. And permanently separating children from their parents is actually part of the genocide spectrum even if you don't kill the parents or the child.

Obviously I am no fan of Trump and I'm certainly not defending him. In terms of concentration camps, he already has those in terms of his immigrant camps at the border. Those are functionally concentration camps.
That was my point -- sorry for not being clear.

I realize you do not defend trump. I was only really pointing out that he is a lot more evil than you wrote.

as for people like ppx, I doubt he supports the KKK but he is part of the pyramid that peaks at the KKK. In a similar vein I doubt trump is a card carrying KKK member (for now, anyway) but he supports nationalists who in turn who in turn support white fascism, racism and terrorism.

Last edited:
Here is a summary of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital's update from yesterday:

"We are seeing a reduction in the number of patients but we still have over 500 in our ICU, so this is receding slowly. We expect to face this for the next 18-24 months. We are going to be living with this virus for a while.

Opening up carries risk with it. We must be on guard for a potential resurgence in the number of infections. We must make sure we have an adequate stock of PPE and retaining ICU capacity and staffing.

It is going to be difficult because we are going to bring patients back in who have had care deferred.

First and foremost we need to practice social distancing. Eating lunch together, people in a waiting room, elevators cannot be filled. We have to be sure that there are enough parking spots. Subway transportation will change, we will have a lot more of our workforce working from home. We are prepared for that. We want to minimize the number of people who have to come into work. How we work and care for patients will change.

Everyone coming in is going to be wearing masks.

Pre-registration is critical—registering has to all be done virtually.

As of now 40% of our visits have been through telemedicine, so that is going to need to continue.

60,000 lives have been lost in this country. This has been horrific. We need to be careful. We have seen a lot of death, but we have saved a lot of lives."

I realize you do not defend trump. I was only really pointing out that he is a lot more evil than you wrote.

I need no convincing of Trump's fundamental moral depravity and corruption. But it's a good example of how even in a country with strong Democratic traditions that a totalitarian can come in dressed in populist garb, promising to "make our country great" (BTW same phrase Hitler used), make everybody rich, etc while it's very clear the only thing he's really interested in is his own aggrandizement.

I take it as an object lesson in tribalism of the worst sort. We're all vulnerable to the drumbeat of primitive forms of exclusionary prejudice and Us versus Them, all of this being a pretext for the consolidation of essentially a kind of dictatorship. And in that regard you have to say Trump has been quite successful. He's hollowed out the other branches of government, hollowed-out the federal cabinet system, co-opted the Republican Senate leadership, and filled the court with a scary collection of far-right and mostly grossly incompetent judges, all as a script to move the country towards totalitarianism.

It's only when you see human history in larger terms do you realize that what we are going through is really nothing new at all, and we are merely following in the footsteps of (recently) Turkey, Poland, Russia, the Philippines, of course prototypically Nazi Germany, and so many other societies that were seduced by the same processes. Although our founding fathers were profoundly impressed with the great truth of Lord Acton's comment about power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely, and they tried to set in stone in a sense a balance of powers and a sharing of power, they could not have appreciated how something called social media and information warfare would create a condition in which the US population is fundamentally ignorant and brainwashed to vote against their interest and for a corrupt plutocracy. And as the Greeks first argued, democracy cannot work when the populace is not both well-informed and involved. Large sections of the voting public have checked out and are apathetic while as someone once said "the worst are full of passionate intensity."

as for people like ppx, I doubt he supports the KKK but he is part of the pyramid that peaks at the KKK. In a similar vein I doubt trump is a card carrying KKK member (for now, anyway) but he supports nationalists who in turn who in turn support white fascism, racism and terrorism.

fox.png

I need no convincing of Trump's fundamental moral depravity and corruption. But it's a good example of how even in a country with strong Democratic traditions that a totalitarian can come in dressed in populist garb, promising to "make our country great" (BTW same phrase Hitler used), make everybody rich, etc while it's very clear the only thing he's really interested in is his own aggrandizement.
You people have completely lost your minds. I shouldn't even reply to this bullshit but here goes.

If Trump is a "totalitarian" then he's the worst totalitarian in history:

1. Is Trump using his power to keep you inside your house? Nope, it's your own state's Governor and local officials.

2. Did Trump use his power early on to take advantage of the pandemic? Nope, people like you actually complain that he didn't use his power early enough or more strongly!

3. You want Trump to use more of his power to limit the actions of the people.

4. You constantly criticize the Republican governors who want to relieve government restrictions on the people.

Who exactly has the goddamn Totalitarian bent in this event? Who wants stronger central government action?

PS. I hope, for your patients' sake, that you're a better doctor than political analyst.

Didn't he support David Duke?

• Disagree
Reactions: MXLRplus
I think it was the other way around David Duke expressed support for DJT. But in any case, they are ideologically aligned.
Without a doubt.
Who remembers the white fascist terrorism in Charlottesville VA ?
How many trumpers can remember his response, and their response ?

What is the 1 SD response of Trumpers to the border concentration camps ?

Reactions: LN1_Casey

Oh, I do agree he is not totalitarian. He is "merely" wannabe el presidento. All perks, no responsibility (he even said it himself!). Some fuhrer he is.

1. Is Trump using his power to keep you inside your house? Nope, it's your own state's Governor and local officials.
That is pretty much only factual thing in your response. Indeed, other people had to pick up slack from el incompetento.

2. Did Trump use his power early on to take advantage of the pandemic? Nope, people like you actually complain that he didn't use his power early enough or more strongly!

You seem to be cognitively incapable of distinguishing between "use his power early on to take advantage of the pandemic" and "use his powers to prepare and stop pandemic". In fact, his idle attitude and incompetency caused state of USA that USA finds itself today.

3. You want Trump to use more of his power to limit the actions of the people.

That horse ran out of barn long ago, but yes, taking appropriate actions early in Jan and Feb would significantly reduce spread of COVID-19 in USA.

4. You constantly criticize the Republican governors who want to relieve government restrictions on the people.
I assure you that Democratic governors stupid enough to prematurely lift restrictions would be criticized too.

Who exactly has the goddamn Totalitarian bent in this event? Who wants stronger central government action?
Nice equivocation between "competent government response to pandemic threat" and "oh noes totalitarian" noted.

I guess anything that gov does is totalitarian in nature for you? And then you are complaining about people losing their minds, lol. Start from yourself.

1. Is Trump using his power to keep you inside your house? Nope
All "totalitarians" are still constrained by what they can get away with. Even Saudis can't kill all Shia in their kingdom. The British could only convert 2% of Indians to Christianity.

So, what kind of thing is Trump doing that is totalitarian ?

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Says Medical Vendors Told Not To 'Send Stuff' To Michigan | HuffPost

President Trump calls Inslee a ‘snake’ after governor and Pence meet on coronavirus

“So I told Mike not to be complimentary to the governor, because that governor is a snake, Inslee,” Trump said. “And I said, ‘If you’re nice to him, he will take advantage.’ And I would have said no.”

“Let me just tell you, we have a lot of problems with the governor, the governor of Washington … we have many problems,” Trump added. “So Mike may be happy with him, but I am not.”​

Last edited: