Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a glass half full mood today, perhaps because it is Father's Day.

The silver lining to all this dumbassary is that we now have no shortage of potential volunteers for new therapies, vaccine development, etc. :D
So we have a cohort of 6,200 who signed waivers to be COVID guinea pigs. I wonder if they'd agree to be tested though if all they get is a bad case of sniffles and end up on a ventilator.

If Trump was really smart, he would mandate a change to the "new cases" label as "vaccinated". Over 30-40k people in the US are being "vaccinated" right now, adverse reaction is a 1-2% chance of death.
In the same vein, rallies are going to get a bad rap shortly, so I recommend they change them to 'natural vaccination parties.'
Let the anti-vaxxers and trumpers rejoice !

Tangentially, it will be interesting to see if the liability waiver that the trumpers signed to attend the rally holds up in court when trump's circus is sued for Covid deaths. It should not be difficult to show that informed consent was missing, and the instructions to people telling them that mask removal inside the building is allowed turns the waiver into a farce. It would be like a car manufacturer demanding a waiver for accidental deaths for all sales of a car that features loss of brakes function, and the selling con-man encourages the new owners to disengage brakes function once they leave the dealer lot.

Last edited:
We don't need these crap comments. Take them to a political thread.

As someone who has given disagree votes to most of the posts critical of Trump, I'm curious how you can represent yourself as apolitical.

I'm also hard-pressed to find a single post of yours that contributed to the discussion of covid-19 other than to dismiss its seriousness including not a single post on epidemiology, biology, treatment, outcome, Etc. If you have made a contribution to the discussions about covid-19 please point to that post cuz I just can't find it

Japanese company adopts blanket virus tests to speed ‘exit strategy’ from uncertaintyhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...50434e-abdd-11ea-868b-93d63cd833b2_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...50434e-abdd-11ea-868b-93d63cd833b2_story.html

"Just 0.23 percent of the sample tested positive for coronavirus antibodies, suggesting Japan, with its widespread adoption of face masks and relatively early efforts to reduce transmission, has been relatively successful in containing the virus.

Son also offered free tests to medical workers. Of 5,850 who took up his offer, 1.79 percent had antibodies for the virus. Overall, that meant 0.43 percent of 44,066 people tested positive.

The results effectively bury the notion that Japan might be on a path to “herd immunity”
----
No indication in at least this article of what kind of antibody test was used.

In the same vein, rallies are going to get a bad rap shortly, so I recommend they change them to 'natural vaccination parties.'
Let the anti-vaxxers and trumpers rejoice !

Tangentially, it will be interesting to see if the liability waiver that the trumpers signed to attend the rally holds up in court when trump's circus is sued for Covid deaths. It should not be difficult to show that informed consent was missing, and the instructions to people telling them that mask removal inside the building is allowed turns the waiver into a farce. It would be like a car manufacturer demanding a waiver for accidental deaths for all sales of a car that features loss of brakes function, and the selling con-man encourages the new owners to disengage brakes function once they leave the dealer lot.

Damn that's a good idea!. A Natural Vaccinations Party. I should set up a concession stand with my latest version of Moron Spray. I'll split the proceeds with you!

Sounds like (maybe - we’ll see how much this gets confirmed) they got ghosted by 700k TikTok teens and K-pop stans.

I mean, who hasn’t been ghosted by 700k people simultaneously?

TikTok Teens and K-Pop Stans Say They Sank Trump Rally

It definitely inflated the expected turnout. I think his campaign was boasting (whether it was exaggeration or not) of one million ticket requests.

To me, at least, it was funny seeing that those empty seats were blue. He definitely saw the blue wave. Might have been a foreshadowing of November.

Sounds like (maybe - we’ll see how much this gets confirmed) they got ghosted by 700k TikTok teens and K-pop stans.

I mean, who hasn’t been ghosted by 700k people simultaneously?

TikTok Teens and K-Pop Stans Say They Sank Trump Rally

However as was later pointed out by someone on their staff, the "tickets" were all general admission so no reserved seats and they were expecting an oversize crowd that would be accommodated outside. Apart from planning the outside portion and having a more accurate head count, didn't otherwise affect much I don't think other than maybe some egg on their face that they were announcing a really huge crowd with stadium of 19K filled and an overcrowd of 40K(?) and fell far short of that. Guess it would be demoralizing to some extent and fodder for the press to report. They did say that they got people's phone numbers etc when they ordered their tickets so not sure I would want that info given out to a party I didn't support. Not a fan of all the game playing. I do think @SageBrush's comment about a $1 attendance reserve fee at time of order would help fill their coffers.

They did say that they got people's phone numbers etc when they ordered their tickets so not sure I would want that info given out to a party I didn't support.

Apparently the second level many took it to was to acquire a Google Voice number and just submit that so they wouldn’t get overwhelmed by spam texts (which predictably could not be stopped once started even after requests to stop). No idea whether the above claims have been verified.

I suppose there are people who enjoy playing games like this but sad to see that they don't put it instead to helping get the vote out for their party instead. Just shake my head at what this country has come to be especially since he's been in office. The russians must love it and our "allies" likely don't know if they are or not at this point.

I suppose there are people who enjoy playing games like this but sad to see that they don't put it instead to helping get the vote out for their party instead. Just shake my head at what this country has come to be especially since he's been in office. The russians must love it and our "allies" likely don't know if they are or not at this point.
Agreed.

My wife accuses me of being a bitter old man for not applauding the ruse and viewing it as a swell of anti-trumperism in America. It is more a case of just viewing it as an ultimately ineffectual diversion by keyboard activists. Give me one Greta in exchange for 10,000,000 of those kids. And my comment about a future reservation fee was not just to point out that these tricks are easily blocked; the kids may have inadvertently given the trumpers a money collection tool.

One thing is certain: the low turn-out was real and had nothing to do with the ploy.

Last edited:
Apparently the second level many took it to was to acquire a Google Voice number and just submit that so they wouldn’t get overwhelmed by spam texts (which predictably could not be stopped once started even after requests to stop). No idea whether the above claims have been verified.
Parscale bragged about getting a huge haul of contact data for the campaign. Apparently 99.4% of it was fake.

Reactions: Dr. J
If they are in most states getting the vote out isn't really going to matter. Everything I read says there are only 7 or 8 states that will matter on November 3rd. The Russians are doing everything they can to manipulate those states. AZ, FL, GA, MI, NC, OH, PA and WI. My fear is if CV goes ballistic in October that could make the election very close and more easily manipulated, especially in states where vote by mail is limited or complicated.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and Dr. J
I'm in a glass half full mood today, perhaps because it is Father's Day.

The silver lining to all this dumbassary is that we now have no shortage of potential volunteers for new therapies, vaccine development, etc. :D

Actual statement from a co-worker... "why would you not want to get infected earlier so you get the antibody faster and not worry about it." Yes, I think we found a volunteer. ;)

I suppose there are people who enjoy playing games like this but sad to see that they don't put it instead to helping get the vote out for their party instead.

Seems like a very low input effort, high impact action, taken by people who mostly can’t vote. Seems fine.

Keep in mind that some of these young people have likely been protesting in the last few weeks.

I think it is pretty likely there be a good GOTV campaign this year - the question is how CV impacts turnout. Obviously all states should be vote by mail by then. We’ll see! Vote by mail is awesome.

Reactions: Dr. J