Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but the report is saying that of the seniors who were hospitalized, 3/4 were unvaccinated with a booster. Since 43% of seniors have had that booster, those who haven't been boosted are over represented.
Yeah that seems about right. Most of the patients I’m seeing sick enough to be admitted with Covid are either severely immunocompromised or incompletely vaccinated. Getting the lovely mix of rsv and flu as well. Glad I’m off work next week lol

I got a bivalent booster back in late 2022. I got the new updated for XBB1.5 booster in early Oct 2023. So far, I've had Pfizer, Pfizer, Moderna, Moderna, Moderna. My work asked us to order Real-time COVID-19 testing | Cue back in early 2022 and required us for a few months to test ourselves at least weekly if we went into the office regularly. They dropped the requirement to test ourselves regularly ages ago but I still test myself about once a week as I go into the office every weekday. These are more sensitive than antigen tests (cheap ones with the liquid, test strip, C and T lines, etc.)

I still have yet to test positive for COVID once but I'd never been tested prior to around Feb 2022.

I recently went to Japan for almost 2 weeks and attended Japan Mobility Show for two days (The demise of the OEMs has a video I put up of the crowds to get in). Given that I was in large populated cities (e.g. Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuoka), in very crowded train stations and sometimes on very crowded (standing room only or too full to accept more passengers) buses sometimes and crowded trains, I was resigned to possilbly catching it.

I've tested myself 3x since I've returned (returned to the US on Nov 11; tested myself on the 13th, 15th and 20th) w/the above Cue tests and I'm still negative. I did wear a quality N95 mask the whole time I was in Japan and on the plane rides except while eating. I couldn't avoid eating indoors very much, unfortunately.

OT (only useful for US residents): 4 more free COVID tests will be available to each household ahead of the holidays. I ordered my free 4 antigen tests back on Oct 9th and it seems I can order 4 more now.

Chinese study, but that's a pretty high percentage of long term symptoms.
Mentioned this to my wife and she said she's not surprised. She has a few patients who still have severe post COVID issues including a guy in his 40's who can only walk short distances because he gets severely SOB and other long COVID problems, but he had been on a vent for months early on.

Reactions: DrGriz
Mentioned this to my wife and she said she's not surprised. She has a few patients who still have severe post COVID issues including a guy in his 40's who can only walk short distances because he gets severely SOB and other long COVID problems, but he had been on a vent for months early on.
People who were hospitalized and on the vent are especially likely to have long covid, but anyone who has had covid can be affected.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and jerry33
The only other person I know who got Covid severely is a friend in his late 40’s. Got it in 2021. Was antivax along with his family. Wife and two kids got the typical fare but it put him on a vent for two weeks. His lungs are shot with no endurance, and he’s got bad depression—although arguably the last part could be situational (nearly dying is traumatic).

Literally days before his family (and mine) got it his wife was asking mine about Covid—it was clear she didn’t take it seriously and had consumed a substantial amount of unhelpful media.

My mom got covid last week and had been watching our son in between infection and symptom onset. Son is only 4 months old, so not eligible for vax yet, but probably got some protection from my wife.

We've all tested negative and have had no symptoms. It's now been a week. My wife & I got boosters (so did my mom). My mom got it at a get together of 10-12 people. Almost everyone who was here ended up testing positive within 3 days. My mom was with my son for the two days following that event and then tested positive right after.

Our closest call yet. Given the incubation period keeps coming down with each new variant it seems unlikely at this point we will get it from my mom. We went J&J -> Moderna -> Moderna -> Pfizer.

I’m curious whether I’ll succumb after this weekend. Did a lot of careful eating indoors (but it’s airborne to an extent so who knows!). On the flight back there was some pretty awful coughing in the row immediately behind me. Wore an N95 but dropped it briefly on a few occasions for drinking/snacking prior to realizing this risk.

Outside the window of exposure for much of the indoor eating at this point (still a couple low risk exposures Monday though). But we’ll see about the plane & airport. Some incredible hacking up of a lung in one of the airport bathrooms too.

Overall didn’t seem to be a lot of sick people but of course asymptomatic transmission is a concern.

But if I’m still ok on Thursday I’m probably good to go. If I dodge this bullet I think I’ll look into stacking a Novavax on top of my September monovalent Moderna in a couple weeks. Is seven vaccines enough?

Feeling tired today though! That could just be from reading FSD threads though - those are enough to put anyone to sleep.

Looks like another epic winter of unwrapping presents while hacking up COVID virus is coming. Wonder if it will exceed last winter’s peak?

IMG_9657.jpeg

I’m curious whether I’ll succumb after this weekend. Did a lot of careful eating indoors (but it’s airborne to an extent so who knows!). On the flight back there was some pretty awful coughing in the row immediately behind me. Wore an N95 but dropped it briefly on a few occasions for drinking/snacking prior to realizing this risk.

Outside the window of exposure for much of the indoor eating at this point (still a couple low risk exposures Monday though). But we’ll see about the plane & airport. Some incredible hacking up of a lung in one of the airport bathrooms too.

Overall didn’t seem to be a lot of sick people but of course asymptomatic transmission is a concern.

But if I’m still ok on Thursday I’m probably good to go. If I dodge this bullet I think I’ll look into stacking a Novavax on top of my September monovalent Moderna in a couple weeks. Is seven vaccines enough?

Feeling tired today though! That could just be from reading FSD threads though - those are enough to put anyone to sleep.

Looks like another epic winter of unwrapping presents while hacking up COVID virus is coming. Wonder if it will exceed last winter’s peak?

View attachment 994508
Ha. If you're tired but get over it in a day or so, you may actually have it. Having a vaccine doesn't make you immune: Your body still has to recognize the virus, gear up to kill it, and wipe it out. Getting a little tired over a day's time might be a sign of all that.

Reactions: DrGriz
Ha. If you're tired but get over it in a day or so, you may actually have it. Having a vaccine doesn't make you immune: Your body still has to recognize the virus, gear up to kill it, and wipe it out. Getting a little tired over a day's time might be a sign of all that.
I take antigen tests periodically when I feel slightly off (which is rare), because why not? I think they should show faintly even if I am asymptomatic. I need to order four more free I guess. Second round this winter.

I take antigen tests periodically, because why not? I think they should show faintly even if I am asymptomatic. I need to order four more free I guess. Second round this winter.
Interesting point. I'd guess that an antigen test requires a certain concentration of antibodies per milliliter to trip, but a strong immediate immune response might not actually have that high a concentration. As I vaguely remember, there was another test which was purportedly more sensitive than the antigen test and considered to be the Gold Standard for this kind of thing.

I'll ask my biologist daughter about all this, next time we chat. She's not an actual doctor.. but is married to one these days.

Interesting point. I'd guess that an antigen test requires a certain concentration of antibodies per milliliter to trip, but a strong immediate immune response might not actually have that high a concentration. As I vaguely remember, there was another test which was purportedly more sensitive than the antigen test and considered to be the Gold Standard for this kind of thing.
PCR test would be the gold standard and more sensitive.

Labs has more info.

As I mentioned earlier, my work had us order FAQs | Cue which are a form of NAAT test but aren't PCR. Look under "How does Cue’s COVID-19 OTC Test compare to other COVID-19 tests?". They are much more expensive than antigen tests.

Some folks at my work have mentioned getting an early positive signal from the above before they were showing positive on antigen tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'd guess that an antigen test requires a certain concentration of antibodies per milliliter to trip, but a strong immediate immune response might not actually have that high a concentration
As long as you test regularly and look at the test result carefully, I’d guess you’d see something.

But yeah as mentioned PCR is much more sensitive. Not really necessary though. If you don’t test positive at some point on regularly administered antigen, it’s probably the case that you’re not too contagious. There’s no guarantee of course with these things.

Can look up the thread for details.

In the end testing is basically useless (broadly speaking) because no one cares if they are infectious. And they most certainly won’t wear a mask if they are coughing. (Fortunately this is not strictly necessary but forces others to employ high levels of caution & protection.)

IMG_9659.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd guess that an antigen test requires a certain concentration of antibodies per milliliter to t
An antigen test does not look for antibodies. It looks for proteins (antigens) on the surface of the virus - it does not require an immune response. It is less sensitive than PCR or NAAT as mentioned. But still very specific. So test often (daily) if trying to use it to detect illness.