Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the third shot and decided to not do more. My wife has to (in the medical field), but like the flu shot, I just stopped. So far so good.
I got the sixth (I am on an illegal +1 vaccination schedule) and thinking since I am changing insurance shortly, in a few months I’ll get the seventh of Novavax (they’ll presumably have no record of the other booster). Because why not?

Sounds like 2% uptake of monovalent (just what I heard; I have no source), so seems like it is really going to shut down this winter wave.

Last edited:
Recent studies are showing that boosting the immune system with routine vaccinations can lower risk of Alzheimers dementia.
Can Vaccinations Save Your Brain
One of the commenters alluded to the this (and how can you know?). The study doesn't control for who gets vaccinated, although other factors are matched. A given person chooses to get vaccinated. Those who choose to be vaccinated are less likely to get dementia.

Is it the vaccine, or is it the chooser?

Chicken? Or egg?

At any rate, the difference appears to be substantial.

New sheriff in town.

o4AxXEY.jpg

M1DH4vp.jpg

lByD2Ox.jpg

Is this a realistic next step and what would be the implications?

open source LLM provided all the steps needed to synthesize 1918 influenza in 30 minutes

Is it even anything "new" (that Ai can guide through it)?

From what I've read, a lot of people alive today have had the 1918 flu. (Discovered when samples were collected from the bodies of 1918 flu victims and the strain was sequenced.) It circulated unmutated until the 1950s until it mutated into one of the major strains that circulates today. For some reason it didn't kill at the level it did in 1918 in the 40 years after the pandemic.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Well, I got a shot and booster in 2021 and I got covid a few months later. It felt like a bad hangover, and then night sweats for several days. No shots since.

I got it again at the start of last month. Exact same symptoms, save no loss of taste, but less severe symptoms. Definitely soaked bed a few nights. I got it along with a bunch of other people who were at a gathering with me. One of those people, who took covid very seriously initially and so I'm positive was originally vaxxed, got hit so hard he got vented. I have not heard an update in two weeks. About 60 years old. Great health for his age--looked slim and was into walking with no obvious comorbidities like smoking. All of the others who got it with me in the family (around 10-12 people) only had relatively mild symptoms.

Well, I got a shot and booster in 2021 and I got covid a few months later. It felt like a bad hangover, and then night sweats for several days. No shots since.

I got it again at the start of last month. Exact same symptoms, save no loss of taste, but less severe symptoms. Definitely soaked bed a few nights. I got it along with a bunch of other people who were at a gathering with me. One of those people, who took covid very seriously initially and so I'm positive was originally vaxxed, got hit so hard he got vented. I have not heard an update in two weeks. About 60 years old. Great health for his age--looked slim and was into walking with no obvious comorbidities like smoking. All of the others who got it with me in the family (around 10-12 people) only had relatively mild symptoms.
Everyone's got a story. As I've said multiple times in the past my wife is a physician who took care of lots of COVID patients, and the overwhelming number in the ICUs and who died after the vaccines came out were unvaccinated. There are other physicians here with similar experiences. The current versions of COVID aren't killing as many people as they are less lower Respiratory in nature, but there are still people who get COVID pneumonia. Most of those who it does kill have risk factors, but I'm still going to get the new COVID vaccine soon. I just got the Flu and Prevnar vaccines. Vaccines and masks work.

Everyone's got a story. As I've said multiple times in the past my wife is a physician who took care of lots of COVID patients, and the overwhelming number in the ICUs and who died after the vaccines came out were unvaccinated. There are other physicians here with similar experiences. The current versions of COVID aren't killing as many people as they are less lower Respiratory in nature, but there are still people who get COVID pneumonia. Most of those who it does kill have risk factors, but I'm still going to get the new COVID vaccine soon. I just got the Flu and Prevnar vaccines. Vaccines and masks work.

3.5 years in and people are still conflating anecdotes with data. Smh.

Vaccine Confidence Falls as Belief in Health Misinformation Grows

Next pandemic and a lot more people are going to die because of believing lies. This is not just about COVID.

Americans have less confidence in vaccines to address a variety of illnesses than they did just a year or two ago, and more people accept misinformation about vaccines and Covid-19, according to the latest health survey from the Annenberg Public Policy Center (APPC) of the University of Pennsylvania.

Vaccine Confidence Falls as Belief in Health Misinformation Grows

Next pandemic and a lot more people are going to die because of believing lies. This is not just about COVID.
Pretty bad.

It would not help, but I would like to see them provide test data for the COVID vaccine. It’s annoying that the new versions have not been tested (yes this is hard now).

It would also be good if they would attempt to make better vaccines (the new ones don’t really work very well (against infection), I think the data will show.

For future pandemics it might be valuable to be able to produce efficacious vaccines quickly. The new variants are a good opportunity to test this ability. It may be important to prevent spread. This has not yet been demonstrated for more difficult variants. We should try!

Last edited:
Pretty bad.

It would not help, but I would like to see them provide test data for the COVID vaccine. It’s annoying that the new versions have not been tested (yes this is hard now).

It would also be good if they would attempt to make better vaccines (the new ones don’t really work very well (against infection), I think the data will show.

For future pandemics it might be valuable to be able to produce efficacious vaccines quickly. The new variants are a good opportunity to test this ability. It may be important to prevent spread. This has not yet been demonstrated for more difficult variants. We should try!
There's no such thing as a vaccine that prevents infection. Vaccines prime your immune system so that when you are infected your system reduces the level of illness you develop.

As far as testing, what you are asking for would be like a vaccine against a stable DNA virus. Unfortunately, COVID is an RNA virus that is constantly rearranging itself. If you could tell the vaccine developers which version of the virus will be dominant 6 months from now, they could develop the vaccine specific to it and test it now. Unfortunately, nobody has that crystal ball. Flu is the same.

Take comfort in the fact that the current vaccines reduce morbidity and mortality.

Trust me, there are teams working hard on vaccines targeting a more stable part of the virus. Lots of money to be made there.

There's no such thing as a vaccine that prevents infection.
Yes, as I said later in the post, what I really mean is one that slows the spread significantly. Which would presumably mean less infection, even if people were actually still infected, they would be shedding and spreading less.

There had been talk about nasal vaccines, but nothing has been done in this country and no one has tested them and no one even knows if they actually reduce spread. They probably do not work.

there are teams working hard on vaccines targeting a more stable part of the virus. Lots of money to be made there.
I hope so.

Just seems like there could be better efforts made to actually do this. Seems like a focused effort to fund this would be good. We have a dangerous circulating virus we can try to eliminate as a real world test case. It would not have to be a theoretical effort; we could reward what worked.

It would also be good if we tested the vaccines we roll out. We don’t. That’s the worst part, and the primary reason for my prior post. I just don’t get why we’ve given up on testing these vaccines entirely (there is literally no testing for efficacy now). These companies are paid huge amounts for their vaccines, but instead of spending money testing them on tens of thousands of people, they pocket the profits.

It doesn’t help those who have doubts about vaccines when you have literally no data to show to indicate they work. Why would anyone get vaccinated? (Predictably, no one has - less than 10% last I checked.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Last edited:
My wife is a nurse so also got to see all of this first hand. The vaccines unequivocally were effective, of course, in reducing deaths and improving outcomes.

BTW, I do have an update on the guy I mentioned yesterday. Unbeknownst to him he has multiple myeloma. I had no idea about this when I posted--and neither did he until covid knocked him on his ass and it was only recently diagnosed.

3.5 years in and people are still conflating anecdotes with data. Smh.

Methinks you didn't capture the intent of his opening sentence. Moreover, laughing about a guy ventilated is weird.

Yes, as I said later in the post, what I really mean is one that slows the spread significantly. Which would presumably mean less infection, even if people were actually still infected, they would be shedding and spreading less.

There had been talk about nasal vaccines, but nothing has been done in this country and no one has tested them and no one even knows if they actually reduce spread. They probably do not work.

I hope so.

Just seems like there could be better efforts made to actually do this. Seems like a focused effort to fund this would be good. We have a dangerous circulating virus we can try to eliminate as a real world test case. It would not have to be a theoretical effort; we could reward what worked.

It would also be good if we tested the vaccines we roll out. We don’t. That’s the worst part, and the primary reason for my prior post. I just don’t get why we’ve given up on testing these vaccines entirely (there is literally no testing for efficacy now). These companies are paid huge amounts for their vaccines, but instead of spending money testing them on tens of thousands of people, they pocket the profits.

It doesn’t help those who have doubts about vaccines when you have literally no data to show to indicate they work. Why would anyone get vaccinated? (Predictably, no one has - less than 10% last I checked.)
Patience! It is happening. But sometimes science is hard!

The program will focus on several areas, including:

• Mucosal vaccines such as those delivered intranasally, which could have the potential to dramatically reduce infection and transmission, in addition to preventing serious illness and death.
  • Vaccines that provide broader protection against variants of concern and a longer duration of protection.
  • Pan-Coronavirus vaccines which would protect against several different coronaviruses.

Why does it take that long? We know what will likely be dominant in February (JN whatever probably). Why don’t we just roll out a vaccine in a month or two?

View attachment 987205
But you can't give a test person a vaccine and then intentionally expose them to the virus! It's called ethics! Especially a virus that can cause Long Covid and permanent damage. So you develop one and you give it to volunteers (after you've tested it in other models) and then you wait for them to be exposed naturally and you see how well it works. They probably won't be exposed though until the anticipated dominant strain shows up in numbers.

So you do a wild ass guess and go with that one, hoping it's right without testing. But it is a huge undertaking and it takes months to ramp up a given version.

This is the same for Flu vaccines. They decide in the spring what strains to vaccinate against in the fall. They aren't nimble enough to do it faster in volume.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and jerry33