Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, we are breaking daily outbreak records. Coincidentally, a large wave of outbreaks is following the President’s super-spreader tour.

They still aren’t calling the election as there are still many votes to count, but however it turns out, we are in a real mess.
The election doesn't change who is in charge of the federal government until January 20th so it's pretty irrelevant.
Very grateful to be living in sunny Southern California right now. Not much outdoor activity to be done in the midwest in the middle of winter. Not a lot of rallies in Illinois so I don't think the super-spreader tour is the direct cause. Obviously it sets a bad example and I doubt there was accurate public health advice being offered in the speeches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doggydogworld
See, Trump team was right, Biden is not talking about COVID-19 anymore, he's talking about COVID-10. This is the virus they had around when he was born.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.31.32 PM.png

Woman with COVID-19 sheds infectious virus for a record 70 days | Live Science

"A woman with COVID-19 in Washington state shed infectious virus particles for 70 days, meaning she was contagious during that entire time, despite never showing symptoms of the disease, according to a new report.
The woman was infected in late February during the country's first reported COVID-19 outbreak, which occurred at the Life Care Center rehabilitation facility in Kirkland, Washington, where she was a patient.
She was hospitalized for anemia related to her cancer on Feb. 25, and doctors screened her for COVID-19 because she came from the center with the outbreak. She tested positive on March 2.
Over the next 15 weeks, the woman would be tested for COVID-19 more than a dozen times. The virus was detected in her upper respiratory tract for 105 days; and infectious virus particles — meaning they were capable of spreading the disease — were detected for at least 70 days.
Typically, people with COVID-19 are contagious for about eight days after infection, according to the report.
The woman was likely contagious for so long because her body didn't mount a proper immune response. Indeed, the woman's blood samples did not appear to contain antibodies against the virus.
------------------
Smaht virus. Don't kill 'em right away, so they can spread more.

Denmark To Kill Up To 17 Million Minks After Discovering Mutated Coronavirus

"Denmark is killing its large mink population after discovering a coronavirus mutation that can spread to humans, the nation's government said Wednesday.
The country, which is the world's largest supplier of mink fur, will cull as many as 17 million animals in an effort to stop the spread.
She said Danish officials have seen the mutated virus display a weak reaction to antibodies.
The government said it is concerned that the variant could reduce the effectiveness of a future vaccine. It's worth noting that all viruses mutate, something that doesn't necessarily mean they are more dangerous.
Danish officials notified the World Health Organization and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
Twelve people have been diagnosed with the virus strain so far, according to the WHO. About 200 coronavirus cases in total can be traced to exposure from mink.
Emma Hodcroft, a virologist and postdoctoral researcher at the University of Basel, in Switzerland, urged people not to panic.
There's not enough information to tell how dangerous the mutation is, she explained on Twitter. Hodcroft also criticized the lack of information disclosed.
"If Denmark believes this is serious enough to kill their entire mink population," Hodcroft tweeted, "one would perhaps also conclude that this [is] serious enough to pass on the information about these mutations to scientists worldwide as quickly as possible to see if variants are found elsewhere."
----------------------------------
Holland had problems with infected mink in June. And as the article mentions Utah had a lot of theirs die because of Covid-infections.

Last edited:
Looks like January will bring a new Coronavirus plan

It'll be interesting to see the CDC taking the lead again. Science leading the way instead of FUD.

Science works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works... bitches.”

Last edited:
From the WSJournal:

Mr. Biden’s transition team is considering whether to announce a coronavirus-focused task force made up of top health officials in the coming days, a person familiar with the matter said.

To me, that suggests that the good Dr. Fauci is not going to be in the unemployment line for very long.

This is weird. I was told that coronavirus was no longer going to be discussed from this point forward. Yet it seems to be mentioned in speeches and there is even talk of a task force starting on Monday!

I’m a bit concerned about all the partying going on today. Most wearing masks but not all. I hope Biden’s plan does not rely on strict social distancing or isolation. The American people apparently cannot handle that. Instead, I hope it will be a shock and awe type approach to containment. I recommend 50-100 million coronavirus tests per day, for starters. Obviously that is just one piece of a plan. Can start with just 10-20 million per day and ramp up from there. Can be fast antigen tests, ~20% of which are backed by PCR.

I think there is a surprising mass of people who still think the virus situation is overblown for political reasons.
I am not sure how to get a message through to them that it is for real and serious.
Many people don't seem to accept that it is serious until someone they know personally directly gets a bad case of it.

Trump said he tried to downplay it to prevent panic and keep the economy going.
Biden's team is indicating that they are going to be much more willing to share the real story with the public.

I think the new administration is still going to balance keeping the economy going with trying to selectively make adjustments to slow or stop the ongoing spread.

I think the details of lasting damage that can be done needs to be better understood and made more well known.
Many people are looking at the death % numbers and saying "chances are I will be OK", but they need to realize that catching it can cause all sorts of other problems, not just risk of death.

Keeping track: 7-day average of US new cases, compared to Sept 27th:

Oct 11th: + 20%
Oct 15th: + 30%
Oct 20th: + 46%
Oct 24th: + 62%
Oct 26th: + 70%
Oct 28th: + 81%
Nov 2nd: + 107%
Nov 5th: + 131% (today)
Nov 7th: + 156% (today)

Obviously not taking a break, and now the 7 day average of deaths is starting to follow visibly, up some 30% or so, and approaching 1000/day.

I’m hoping for nationwide masking, phone app based tracking, paid stipend for quarantine time.
Steve Levitt (Nobel winner and Freakonomics) has an idea about having a weekly lottery with a large cash payout, where you get a ticket in exchange for having a COVID test. That might motivate more engagement and belief in the disease.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I think there is a surprising mass of people who still think the virus situation is overblown for political reasons.
I am not sure how to get a message through to them that it is for real and serious.
FWIW, someone in Ohio on another forum I'm on posted on Nov 5th:
"Legit: crazy right-wingers I read on forums are moving the goalposts and saying it will end on Inauguration Day."

The video I posted which is that the top of Coronavirus is somewhat disturbing. Obviously, those people aren't taking precautions or the virus seriously at all.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
New coronavirus task force to be announced as part of Biden's presidential transition - CNNPolitics

Biden will announce a 12-person coronavirus-task force on Monday, two sources with knowledge tell CNN. The announcement is meant to signify how seriously the president-elect plans to focus on a pandemic that has reached a record number of daily infections in the last week.

The task force will be headed by three cochairs: former surgeon general Vivek Murthy, former Food and Drug Administration commissioner David Kessler and Yale University's Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith. The additional members are due to be announced on Monday.