Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental 21's: Increasing tire noise with wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front and rear tires wear completely different.......rotate them in any pattern and you introduce a new wear pattern on each tire. This increases tire noise which is noticeable at low and high speeds. I have eliminated rotation on my cars and no more noise. I would rather lose a little tire life than listen to tire hum all day.

Front and rear tires wear completely different.......rotate them in any pattern and you introduce a new wear pattern on each tire. This increases tire noise which is noticeable at low and high speeds. I have eliminated rotation on my cars and no more noise. I would rather lose a little tire life than listen to tire hum all day.
Wondering if when I last rotated and put the rears on the front (which seem to be cupped) the noise got worse and I can feel it in the steering wheel.

Just got my car back from doing the 2 year service and they said that the tires are cupped and that is making the noise. They did find the r/r camber out of spec but no toe issues, they put the tires back where they were before rotating about 1000 miles ago and the noise is not as bad. Not sure why they are cupped as the previous tires did not have that problem. So now I will try to get another 4000 miles from these tires and then decide what I will replace them with. Maybe I should not bother to rotate at all.

Me to, I did not bother to have the alignment checked when I installed the new tires in June of last year because the alignment was done at the yearly service in May. Still not sure that the camber on the r/r caused the cupping because it seems to be on all tires. When I replace the tires I will have an alignment at the same time and go from there.