Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSAS4 vs CC2 tires on a Kia EV6 GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now delved into comparing the two.

I put roughly 18k miles on my PSAS4 tires on a Kia EV6 GT, and my findings were that the tires when new would provide a 60' time on dry pavement of 1.86-1.87 seconds. They would provide a 60' time on wet pavement with standing water visible, of around 2.0 seconds. Their impact on range was negligible, with the car rated at 206mi range (revised for 2024 models to 218), and an actual real world range on these tires, when half worn, of 255mi.

My experience with the CC2's now that the release agent is worn off, is that on dry pavement they will return a 60' time of 1.89-1.91 seconds, and on wet pavement with standing water, 1.97-2.0. I have not yet fully evaluated them yet for range, but I am noticing a preliminary drop compared to the 4/32 used PSAS4's of roughly 5-10%.

The handling characteristics of the tires are that the PSAS4's were somewhat more "direct" in steering feel, and that medium imperfections transmitted further into the vehicle. The CC2's are more relaxed in every way, but still plenty sporting. My car has suspension modes (Normal, Sport, Stiff, basically), and it feels like they all "moved half a mode to the left" with the CC2's. On 40 series rubber, consider me a fan. I prefer this.

Road noise is comparable on most pavement, but when you're doing 70 or above on smooth pavement, I give the edge to the CC2's. In the 20-50mph range, the PSAS4's were a hair quieter. Neither was objectionable.

If all 4 tires got slashed tomorrow and insurance covered it, I'd turn around and buy another set of CC2's.

1) Nothing has ever cut through standing water at speed like CC2's
2) The PSAS4's were way better in ice and snow than anyone had any right to suspect. NO range penalty on my C40 or my EV6 GT.
3) I am extremely impressed with the wet traction of the CC2's. For straight line performance (I have not yet tested braking), they are comparable to the PSAS4's in dry and wet, although their ultimate best 60' times are about 0.04s slower, however, I've yet to test this in warmer weather.

1703731674275.png

Dry concrete with CC2's, 10/32 tread, 70% SoC, battery optimally conditioned. The 60' is 1.89s:
1703731758381.png

Dry concrete PSAS4's, 4/32, SoC 97%, battery just under optimally conditioned (this tracks with my experiences of battery % mattering less than battery temp, within reason). The 60' is 1.90s:
1703731949983.png

This is the CC2 at 90%, not quite optimal conditioning, standing water visible on the blacktop. The 60' is 2.00s:
1703732029177.png

This is the PSAS4 on the same stretch of road in similar wet conditions, battery at 60%, not conditioned (ambient temps were warmer, though). The 60' is 2.03s:
1703732236183.png

Unless you put several hundred miles on the tires over the weekend, I believe your efficiency loss is skewed.

Give the tires 1-2k miles to fully break in before drawing any conclusions.;)
I put about 200mi on them this weekend. The tires have around 600mi on them at present.

It was cold, and my range in the 30-40*f area is usually 155-165mi with the PSAS4's, worn. With these tires I was averaging 140-145mi on the "guess o meter" (which I have tested to be within 0.5% of accurate...). I feel comfortable with 10% +-2.5 as a margin. In the summer when it was nice and warm, I averaged about 185-195mi on the PSAS4's.

*Initial charge 80% SoC.

Last edited:
There is a youtube tire review channel that did a pretty great comparison of CC2 vs PSAS4 vs X-Ice, and it's honestly pretty impressive how well the PSAS4 does in snow/ice considering it doesn't even have the 3 peak rating. I think your findings are pretty similar to what I saw.

Reactions: Unobtanium
There is a youtube tire review channel that did a pretty great comparison of CC2 vs PSAS4 vs X-Ice, and it's honestly pretty impressive how well the PSAS4 does in snow/ice considering it doesn't even have the 3 peak rating. I think your findings are pretty similar to what I saw.

Interesting, because these 3 tire designs are in totally different categories.

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
JohnB007: In any discussion about tires, or suspensions, LOCATION is critical, not just for ambient temps/weather, but for quality of road surfaces.

My tire/suspension needs here in the DFW region are wildly different than they were in the DC region!