Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports Reviews SpaceX Falcon 9 Rockets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who have gotten sick of the Consumer Reports versus Tesla war going on, I've decided everyone could use some levity on the matter and produced this fictional gem as an excerpt from a full review:

Consumer Reports Reviews SpaceX Falcon 9 Rockets
"Reliability on landing is average, or about 95% survival rating. The titanium grid fins fared much better in re-entry than the aluminium designs, some of which reached their melting point and caused significant structural damage to the point of requiring replacement after only one re-entry. Although we give points to SpaceX for the new titanium grid fins, our durability rating is below average because of the relative availability of the two models, and several catastrophic incidents involving early landing software or faulty parts from suppliers that failed structurally.

In some cases, SpaceX rockets have survived landing but with crippling damage to the landing legs, again requiring replacement. This has proven costly from an ownership and maintenance perspective and we have reached out to SpaceX to determine if this is considered warranty damage or otherwise. Aesthetically, we give SpaceX an above average rating, with its sleek, aerodynamic lines, landing leg shape and futuristic actuation, and incorporation of carbon fiber accents as well as bespoke paint jobs for every customer. SpaceX builds state of the art rockets with an eye on the horizon, including HD-capable operations cameras, on-board computing, as well as radio networking capability and restartable, variable-speed engines. SpaceX builds with modern techniques, including 3D-printing their iconel rocket motors. Although the auto-park functionality in SpaceX rockets deserves high praise for being functional at both land and sea parking, Consumer Reports notes that auto-parking is not unique in the sub-orbital launch service industry, and competitors are likely to catch up in the near future.

SpaceX is known for disruptive pricing in the North American rocket manufacturing industry, but they are not globally competitive against Indian or North Korean rocket launch prices. We believe that SpaceX will continue to improve their pricing strategy, without compromising their quality line, and hopefully making significant improvements in their grid fin durability profile. As of yet, Consumer Reports has not had the opportunity to purchase or ride in a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, or the Dragon 2 capsule, we look forward to providing our readers a more in-depth review in the future."

Given how some people are willing to believe anything they read online if it conforms with their existing belief set, I see nothing wrong with incorporating a brief message stating that the post is “fiction”.

Thanks @Vexar for making me smile before I start my day. :)

Part of the entertainment of satire is what happens when people don't get it.

I'm guilty of smug affirmations when people see my white Tesla with a black roof and ask if the car recharges with the solar panels they claim they see built into the roof. Saying things like "yeah, the charging cable is just for if I park outside in winter and snow accumulates" comes far too naturally to me. There are decades of shameless, face-to-face satire in my life and if I ever hope to recover some degree of credibility, I must now be honest from the start, which boils down to this:

Consumer Reports would never be this entertaining.

you're confusing the payloads with the hardware used to set the payload. and this discussion is about the launch rocket systems.
So do you really mean customers rather than consumers?
We really need to make pedantic distinctions like this when we are discussion a spoof, don't we?
Either way we do need a CR projection of Falcon Heavy reliability.
CR owes us the same due diligence that they offer for Model 3.

Reactions: e-FTW