Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Galaxy 31+32 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: November 12
Launch Window: 11:06am EST (8:06am PST, 16:06 UTC) - 2 hour window
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida
Core Booster Recovery: N/A
Booster: B1051.14
Fairings: Reused likely
Mass: 3600 kg each - 7200 kg (15,873 lbs.)
Orbit: GTO
Yearly Launch Number: 52nd

Booster B1051.14 will be expended as part of this launch. It will be launched without legs or grid fins.

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Galaxy 31 and Galaxy 32 commercial communications satellites for Intelsat. Built by Maxar Technologies, Galaxy 31 and Galaxy 32 will be positioned in geostationary orbit to provide C-band video and television broadcast services in the United States.

Last edited:

A lot to parse from that link:

The satellites are for C-band services, mainly television broadcasting, that satellite operators will have to conduct with less C-band airwaves in the United States after the U.S. Federal Communications Commission auctions 300 megahertz of the spectrum for use in cellular 5G networks.

If Intelsat can clear its customers from the 300-megahertz swath by Dec. 5, 2023, it will receive $4.87 billion in accelerated clearing payments through the FCC, which said it will require spectrum bidders to make those payments for advanced access to the spectrum. That’s two years faster than the FCC’s mandatory deadline for satellite operators to leave the spectrum.

Intelsat has cited the urgent need to fund replacement C-band satellites and other infrastructure for the FCC’s accelerated clearing program as one of the reasons it filed for bankruptcy protection.

The satellites Maxar will build are named Galaxy-31, Galaxy-32, Galaxy-35 and Galaxy-36; the satellites from Northrop Grumman are named Galaxy-33 and Galaxy-34. All six are expected to be ready for launch in 2022.

Intelsat said it is negotiating with manufacturers for a seventh satellite that, once described as a possible need, is now “required” for its C-band transition. This satellite, called Galaxy 37 was ordered in September 2020 from Maxar.

First, Intelsat filed for bankruptcy? Yes they did, and recently emerged out of chapter 11 with half their debt and payments from the FCC to move out of the lower portion of the 3.7-4.2 GHz C-band to make room for 5G.

Second, I wonder how the new satellite spectrum wars will shape up? Both Starlink and 5G want to use the really high frequencies now (between 10 Ghz to 100 Ghz) so there will be competition there.

Third, I guess this is what SpaceX is going to do with their old boosters - just use them on expendable missions. SpaceX is so efficient...

Reactions: Grendal
On Saturday, November 12 at 11:06 a.m. ET, Falcon 9 launched the Intelsat G-31/G-32 mission to a geosynchronous transfer orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.
This was the fourteenth launch of this booster, which previously supported Dragon’s first crew demonstration mission, the RADARSAT Constellation Mission, SXM-7, and 10 Starlink missions.

Galaxy 31 separated from the vehicle at 11:46 a.m. EST, and Intelsat confirmed its signal acquisition at 11:59 a.m. EST. Galaxy 32 separated from the vehicle at 11:41 a.m. EST, and Intelsat confirmed its signal acquisition at 11:50 a.m. EST.

That was quite the boost from the Falcon 9 in expendable mode. Looked to me like it ran another ~ 11 seconds more than it does on a starlink launch. That’s a lot more velocity
I was sort of sad though. It was so strange seeing a Falcon 9 without legs. This booster was like an old friend it had provided so much entertainment to us mere earthlings 😀. So long old friend, B1051, you had a good life.
And as usual. Way to go SpaceX, keep on making it look easy even though it’s super hard !

That was quite the boost from the Falcon 9 in expendable mode. Looked to me like it ran another ~ 11 seconds more than it does on a starlink launch. That’s a lot more velocity
I was sort of sad though. It was so strange seeing a Falcon 9 without legs. This booster was like an old friend it had provided so much entertainment to us mere earthlings 😀. So long old friend, B1051, you had a good life.
Next up on the "Expendables" list is the current oldest Block 5: B1049. Which did manage to break the ten launch record.