Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When is iPhone/Android app coming out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured they'd submit to Apple first since there's no review process on Android. So as soon as it's approved for the Apple App Store, they can flip the switch in Google Play and send out a press release.

Their site still says "later in the summer" (or some variant) though.

Looks like it should be sooner according to the bulletin board.

When will the Model S Mobile App be released and what platforms will it support? | Forums | Tesla Motors

When will the Model S Mobile App be released and what platforms will it support?

nkinkaid@teslam... | December 21, 2012

We have been beta-testing Android and iOS mobile apps for Model S and expect them to be available to all customers within the next month or so.

Looks like it should be sooner according to the bulletin board.

When will the Model S Mobile App be released and what platforms will it support? | Forums | Tesla Motors

When will the Model S Mobile App be released and what platforms will it support?

nkinkaid@teslam... | December 21, 2012

We have been beta-testing Android and iOS mobile apps for Model S and expect them to be available to all customers within the next month or so.

"Later this summer" as in 2012... Same way their site said design studio coming in the winter when we were pretty much in spring.

So, how does the App know that you should be able to control your specific car? Will you enter your VIN in the app, and be prompted to enter a pairing code that shows up on your 17" display, sort of like pairing a Bluetooth device?

So, how does the App know that you should be able to control your specific car? Will you enter your VIN in the app, and be prompted to enter a pairing code that shows up on your 17" display, sort of like pairing a Bluetooth device?

no, i believe you will login to tm servers with an account that has been verified with you as the owner of your vin, then the server will do all the comm with the car, the mobile app will not talk directly to the car. same way tesla can now communicate with your car from their servers. i believe.

OnStar solved this problem long ago. I have a Chevy Volt and I can remotely start the car, preheat or cool the interior, change the charge settings, check tire pressures, unlock the doors, and a bunch of other things from anywhere I have a wireless phone connection. This will be an even greater app to have for the Model S.

With OnStar you enter a user ID and password to get information and a 4 number PIN to to send functional commands to the car. I've used it with both an iPhone and Samsung Galaxy III Android smartphone. Works like a charm, but functional commands are a bit slow getting to the car. Once it's set up properly only the PIN is needed for commands to work.

no, i believe you will login to tm servers with an account that has been verified with you as the owner of your vin, then the server will do all the comm with the car, the mobile app will not talk directly to the car. same way tesla can now communicate with your car from their servers. i believe.

This is how the OVMS app works for the Roadster. Without confirming or denying having access to the Tesla Android app for the Model S, let's just say I'm sure Tesla would want to mimic the proven methods that the guys who wrote the OVMS app used.

My best guess is that the app will be coming out very soon. We have already heard from members on this forum who are testing the app that it works well and we have also confirmed it is in "final beta" phase so I would guess it's just around the corner.

My guess is that most of the remaining polishing up on the app has to do with the server side and making sure they can handle all S owners accessing the app. Having the app will sure be handy.

My best guess is that the app will be coming out very soon. We have already heard from members on this forum who are testing the app that it works well and we have also confirmed it is in "final beta" phase so I would guess it's just around the corner.

My guess is that most of the remaining polishing up on the app has to do with the server side and making sure they can handle all S owners accessing the app. Having the app will sure be handy.

Presumably that's all done already (or it better already be) if its just awaiting Apple App Store approval.

Feedback from a beta user (not me) of the Tesla App is that Tesla may want to release both the iPhone and Android apps together. The iPhone app is already approved by Apple. They have released many updates for the Android recently to get it up to par and working so they can launch both.

I can attest for those of you whining about apple approval times. The max you'd be looking at is a week.

Whining? I didn't see any whining, though it would be warranted. I've had 2 week approval times before, and let's not forget that Apple shuts down right before the holidays so right now they're likely working through backlog.

Though, as it's been posted that the app is already approved and simply awaiting Android parity, this is all sort of a moot.