Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When is iPhone/Android app coming out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No love for Windows Phone? Not all of us are Cupertino drones or Mountain View ad targets. Hope they release an API so we can do our own thing. If they had built it in Mono they could have released to all three platforms with a good degree of code reuse.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

With mention of charge timers coming at the same time, perhaps we'll also have to wait for a car firmware update to come down before the app is usable... so some will be waiting to get the car update (with the reports of people still on their original software for months..)

With mention of charge timers coming at the same time, perhaps we'll also have to wait for a car firmware update to come down before the app is usable... so some will be waiting to get the car update (with the reports of people still on their original software for months..)

Probably unlikely. The model S owners who were beta testers were using the app with early versions of the Model S software. So I don't think that will be an issue. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Cheers.

Where do you get that Windows Phone is one of the "big three"?
I guess I was talking in terms of potential ad money and industry influence. Obviously, WinMoPho is not a very big player in terms of market share yet.

I thought BB10 will be able to run Android apps?
Really? That may be how BBOS users get support for the app then, if Tesla decides to forgo dedicated support. Although, I'm not sure why they would. Blackberry may be in a rough spot now, but they've still got tons of legacy devices in play.

If internet traffic is a decent measure of installed market share, then iOS has 60%, Android 25%, and Java ME 10%. Nothing else has even a 2% share. While Tesla might want to port the app to other platforms, iOS and Android pick up 85% of the market, which is more than just a good start.

Tesla has a fairly small # of customers compared to the phone market overall. Each of the smaller phone OSes has millions of customers.. The distributions may be different (maybe 90% of tesla customers are iOS?, no one knows), would be nice for tesla to go by its customers (which right now leans more towards early adopters, etc which is going to knew the numbers a lot)

They could have a browser app and get near 100% coverage, or go by actual data by surveying actual people with cars (maybe by what phone types are paired with the car via Bluetooth).
I'm not sure internet traffic is accurate, tablets skew that number, and you have to be careful about US vs worldwide (things like Norway where there are a very large number of S reservations, also has something like 10% WinPhone -- there may be important markets that will lead them to want to support all of them).

or they could make some API public and the community will fill in the gaps. (I will try my best to get an app for my phone)

If internet traffic is a decent measure of installed market share, then iOS has 60%, Android 25%, and Java ME 10%. Nothing else has even a 2% share. While Tesla might want to port the app to other platforms, iOS and Android pick up 85% of the market, which is more than just a good start.

For what its worth, the OVMS App (95% Tesla Roadster owners today, but with support for other cars coming that will soon change) has 70% iOS and 30% Android users.

[ numbers taken from 628 smartphone app registrations to OVMS in the past 30 days ]

Last edited:
Tesla has a fairly small # of customers compared to the phone market overall. Each of the smaller phone OSes has millions of customers.. The distributions may be different (maybe 90% of tesla customers are iOS?, no one knows), would be nice for tesla to go by its customers (which right now leans more towards early adopters, etc which is going to knew the numbers a lot)

They could have a browser app and get near 100% coverage, or go by actual data by surveying actual people with cars (maybe by what phone types are paired with the car via Bluetooth).
I'm not sure internet traffic is accurate, tablets skew that number, and you have to be careful about US vs worldwide (things like Norway where there are a very large number of S reservations, also has something like 10% WinPhone -- there may be important markets that will lead them to want to support all of them).

or they could make some API public and the community will fill in the gaps. (I will try my best to get an app for my phone)
@ahimberg: The reason Tesla has created a native app (instead of browser/web app) is for the efficiency and raw access that can be gained for performance. Ideally what is included in the native app could have easily be done through a web app, but my assumption is Tesla will add more features that will be a bit overwhelming to be just a web app and hence they created the native apps.

As you have stated - once the APIs are available there will be a slew of other apps (both native and web) that the community will create. In preparation for this, I have already created a thread that is I am using to gather user feedback/suggestions for a web app until the APIs are available to create a web app that can be used as a single source to be used within the Model S' browser. I am also making it responsive so it can be used as a "mirror" in any device (smartphones/tablets/workstations) along with the Model S' browser.

Internet (web) traffic is *not* a decent measure of installed market share. For smartphones (2012):

Android: 63.3%
iOS: 18.8%
Blackberry: 4.7%
Windows Phone: 2.6%