Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this will qualify for one of those additional phone deals, if there is such a possibility.

Tethering, while possible, seems like small hassle. For those of us that have rooted our phones, the act of setting up a hotspot isn't a hassle; nor does it cost anything to do so. There is just something not right about having to tether the Model S to one's phone.

(Plus, with Sprint this would be an act of making the Model S slower wrt data transmission. Time to switch?)

Not to mention that tethering will make use of the Model S smartphone app (for pre-cooling, charge monitoring, etc.) impossible.

Not to mention that tethering will make use of the Model S smartphone app (for pre-cooling, charge monitoring, etc.) impossible.

I thought that the Model S had basic cellular connectivity for software updates, diagnostics etc. I assumed the forthcoming smartphone app would use this as well...

This is separate from cellular 3g internet access for maps, internet browsing etc. (AFIAIK the former has no fee, while the later is optional and will have a fee.)

I wonder if the different carriers are willing to negotiate with Tesla to be the preferred provider and 'bask in the Tesla association'. Or if the carriers are going to try to squeeze every nickel they can. Because they can.
I think we know the answer to this. Car dealerships and phone carriers are like fraternal twins; they might look different but share a ton of DNA.

I thought that the Model S had basic cellular connectivity for software updates, diagnostics etc. I assumed the forthcoming smartphone app would use this as well...

This is separate from cellular 3g internet access for maps, internet browsing etc. (AFIAIK the former has no fee, while the later is optional and will have a fee.)

If that's the case (the basic data connection is used with the smartphone app), then that would be very nice.

If AT&T is the carrier, not so much. I'm not at all impressed with their coverage compared to Verizon.

This certainly would be nice for those of us who may (although I would not want to do so, honestly) want to tether the Model S to a faster cellular service. This would also serve Tesla's better interest to ensure the Model S gets its software updates in a timely fashion or can receive diagnostics.

If what you're saying is true, then something in the software I am sure can be unlocked or rooted to permit both ;)

Pretty absurd re: the iPad users.

- - - Updated - - -

If AT&T is the carrier, not so much. I'm not at all impressed with their coverage compared to Verizon.

As long as it isn't Sprint. I'd be happier with either the above.

I asked about this during the DC test drive event. I was told that the smartphone app would not require a separate 3G or cellular connection. The Model S comes with some sort of standard connectivity that allows Tesla to monitor the car, if we choose to participate. The rep, who was knowledgable about the tech and connectivity specs because he was in charge of developing them, suggested that in return for allowing Tesla to remotely monitor your car for diagnostic data, they would grant access to the car from the smartphone app for free. He explicitly said that it was not written in stone, but a suggestion of how they were planning for it at that time.

It seems to me a bit like Amazon's whispernet technology. Relatively small amounts of data are required for this kind of access I would imagine. Perhaps they would also roll the connectivity into the annual maintenance fees. In any case, he understood that I planned to use my iPhone to tether and that it would not remain in the car. He said I could still access the iPhone app without the car being tethered.

So, I have to wonder about this: Currently several Sig owners have their cars and have (presumably) internet access. Was this included in their delivery? They got a year of it for free if I recall. Maybe not. Did any of them notice on any bills a waived price or anything indicating how much the connectivity fee will be?

So, I have to wonder about this: Currently several Sig owners have their cars and have (presumably) internet access. Was this included in their delivery? They got a year of it for free if I recall. Maybe not. Did any of them notice on any bills a waived price or anything indicating how much the connectivity fee will be?

They definitely got a year of 3G access for free. IMO this was done because they had no alternative in place. There has still been no information from Tesla about monthly or annual connectivity packages for the rest of us.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are being a bit gun shy at the moment. They're trying to figure out what is reasonable to charge, and how much data a typical user would consume. I wouldn't put it past Tesla that the proposed plan is/was going to be $49.99 a month for data. Seeing how the service plan thread went, they're be yet another uprising of yet another $600/yr cost for 3G data. Hopefully they can score a deal and charge based on consumption. Although the Nav thread isn't looking too great with no offline google maps storage on the 17" screen. That l eat data just having it on the screen every day, every mile, some KBs / MBs are being consumed.

I don't think that is the case.

There is a difference between the car's internal controls and connectivity to Tesla, and in turn the smartphone apps (I'll call it data comm A) and the display's internet for Google maps, browsing, and streaming media (I'll call that data comm B). A is included in the price of the car, and used by Tesla for diagnostics, and B can be accomplished using your phone, Starbucks, or you can buy a connectivity plan through Tesla.

None of that is official, of course, but it's what I have pieced together from many conversations and months of asking.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if they are being a bit gun shy at the moment. They're trying to figure out what is reasonable to charge, and how much data a typical user would consume. I wouldn't put it past Tesla that the proposed plan is/was going to be $49.99 a month for data. Seeing how the service plan thread went, they're be yet another uprising of yet another $600/yr cost for 3G data. Hopefully they can score a deal and charge based on consumption. Although the Nav thread isn't looking too great with no offline google maps storage on the 17" screen. That l eat data just having it on the screen every day, every mile, some KBs / MBs are being consumed.

I suspect that it's more that the carriers aren't willing to play ball and offer decent pricing. It may not be Tesla trying to figure out what to charge. This one may be out of their hands.

We offer wireless connectivity on one of our products and the carriers have been decidedly impossible to deal with on this issue.

Well, I have been quite vocal on the service thread but I view connectivity as completely separate. This is a service that Tesla is reselling and I know what the market price for such connectivity is and so I can see the value for my money. I have no problem at all paying extra for 3G as it's an extra service. This is in contrast to the service plan costs.

That being said, I wonder if there would be a way for those of us w/ AT&T accounts to simply get the Model S details and add it to our family plan?

$49.99 (if it is that price) isn't an unreasonable price for internet service; however, this price is unreasonable for 3G. AT&T offers a 1 GB plan ("LTE") for $40.00 + $10.00 monthly (per device).

Another issue to consider: data transmission may accumulate quickly. Downloading maps and downloading music (plus those of you who will be browsing at every stop light) will be downloading a lot of data. Could add up quickly.

I would think that Tesla would have negotiated a price for the service when they decided on the vendor.

And I will not be happy if the update that enables off-line maps is not ready by the time I take delivery, and I'm required to have a data plan (or else no navigation functionality) after spending nearly $4,000 for the Tech Package.

I suspect that it's more that the carriers aren't willing to play ball and offer decent pricing. It may not be Tesla trying to figure out what to charge. This one may be out of their hands.

We offer wireless connectivity on one of our products and the carriers have been decidedly impossible to deal with on this issue.

I'd be prepared to bet money that Bonnie is right. There's no win for Tesla in taking their time with this one and no urgency for the providers. Just look at some of the issues various people had at the beginning dealing with simple SIM cards for OVMS.

$49.99 (if it is that price) isn't an unreasonable price for internet service; however, this price is unreasonable for 3G. AT&T offers a 1 GB plan ("LTE") for $40.00 + $10.00 monthly (per device).

Another issue to consider: data transmission may accumulate quickly. Downloading maps and downloading music (plus those of you who will be browsing at every stop light) will be downloading a lot of data. Could add up quickly.

That's a rip off on the 1GB data for the "data sharing" plan. You can get $50 for 5GB of data with a LTE mobile hotspot (non-sharing plan). However, if Tesla is pushing "updates" via wireless then they'd have to have some knowledge of the SIM card MEID number that's in the Model S. I'm not sure if I can put the S on a mobile share plan since Tesla is probably owns the account the SIM card is on? Can we swap SIMs, don't recall ever seeing pictures of a SIM tray. IF we do swap SIMs, would Tesla all lose communication to the S?