Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason for that is the restricted space for chipis/antennas. You need a different length of antenna based on the frequency you want it to operate. The Model S has plenty of room for multiple antennas, the iPhone does not. So in the phone they have different antenna lengths, but the same chip.

Actually, every iPhone 4s is identical to every other iPhone 4s, they all have the same antenna and same chipset (qualcomm MDM6610) which has the ability to recieve HSDPA 14.4 and HSUPA 5.76 for GSM/UMTS-based carriers like AT&T, alongside CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev.A for 3GPP2 based carriers like Verizon (it did not have the ability to receive LTE or WiMax). The reason Rodolfo was unable to receive other signals was simply due to carrier restrictions.

The iPhone 5 is similar, however due to LTE complexities there are multiple iPhone 5 variants, however if you were to take a Verizon iPhone 5 and throw a ATT sim card in it it would be able to access the ATT network including HSPA+, it would be unable to access ATT LTE.

Nah, the signals are the same - Tesla can't modify your local cell tower. They're just paying a lower amount for a slower / low data bandwidth plan of some kind.
Plan data limits is what I meant, not transmission rate.

- - - Updated - - -

My car didn't come with an XM trial. Thank heavens!!!
My old Infiniti came with a free trial. I found it useless and didn't use it. XM then spent the next two years ...
I have a similar story. When my last vehicle's included month ended, they badgered me incessantly for two weeks with morning phone calls. I called them on day 4 to tell them to STOP!. They said "we have noted the request but it will take a week for the system to stop calling you." W T F. I unplugged my phone for a week and swore I'll never give them any money ever.

Have you actually used the offline maps? I've never been outside 3G range but it should work like a regular Garmin GPS where you enter an address and it routes you to it. I find the routing next to the speedo to be quite usable and accurate.

The turn by turn is fine, but there is no map you can control. The first thing I want to do with any nav system when I enter an address is verify what route it chose to make sure it's want I want (I've had too many cases where Nav chooses some entirely unsuitable route, or just not the way I want to go). There is no way to do that in the Model S without Google maps. With the Garmin you can.

The turn by turn is fine, but there is no map you can control. The first thing I want to do with any nav system when I enter an address is verify what route it chose to make sure it's want I want (I've had too many cases where Nav chooses some entirely unsuitable route, or just not the way I want to go). There is no way to do that in the Model S without Google maps. With the Garmin you can.
Ah, that makes sense. There was talk that they would allow Google map caching of a given radius so when the car has connectivity via WiFi it would download and store Google map data. Though no idea if Google's licensing allows that or if it's technically feasible.

So here's a question.

Let's say a Model S owner decides not to sign up for the data service when Tesla finally offers it. From then on you're in wifi or tethering mode -- your car is like a submerged submarine, off the air until it surfaces and pings home.

So what would the consequences be of this in terms of security? Tesla owners tend to pooh-pooh services like LoJack because they're deemed inferior and redundant given the Model S's connection to the Tesla servers all the time. But what happens if a car is no longer phoning home all the time?

What options for security/tracking of a missing/stolen car would an owner have then?
The big question we don't have an answer to is do you keep mobile app access even if you don't pay for connectivity? If the answer is yes then you can track it yourself. If the answer is no then Tesla could still track it but would probably need a court order, some kind of owner permission or whatever to access the data.

If/when the time comes I think they should consider offering a tiered plan. Unlimited plans encourage waste (like driving around with the maps in satellite mode all the time for example).

Why is it wasteful to have map with the traffic data on? It's important to know about traffic congestion.

The key part was "in satellite mode", since you have to download both satellite tiles and map tiles. How much of a data difference it is, I don't know. I don't use it myself, since it just makes the map data harder to read at a glance.

Ah, got it. I didn't twig on the satellite part. I never use the satellite mode because it's too slow, so it didn't occur to me that was what you were referring to.

The key part was "in satellite mode", since you have to download both satellite tiles and map tiles. How much of a data difference it is, I don't know. I don't use it myself, since it just makes the map data harder to read at a glance.

The difference is minimal. If you're not taking Navy Showers to save water, then I wouldn't worry about a few extra bytes of download bandwidth.

I suspect they'll also want to negotiate directly with carriers in each market.
Guaranteed.

I'm guessing a trip to the service center for a SIM swap is in your future. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, the signals are the same - Tesla can't modify your local cell tower. They're just paying a lower amount for a slower / low data bandwidth plan of some kind.
Contrary to popular belief, this is in no one's best interest, lest of all the carrier. They *want* you to get your data (whatever that data is) as quickly as possible, that way, you free up bandwidth for other customers to use. You're happier because you got what you wanted quicker, and the network resource is freed up for others to use.

Carriers push the latest technology not only because it's a revenue opportunity (you're apt to buy more of something if it's better; data is no exception), but because there are significant efficiencies to be gained by having as many folks as possible on the latest & greatest (such as LTE).

Any "diagnostic" channel (as has been mentioned) will be at the max speed available to the car that the network in that area allows.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, every iPhone 4s is identical to every other iPhone 4s, they all have the same antenna and same chipset (qualcomm MDM6610) which has the ability to recieve HSDPA 14.4 and HSUPA 5.76 for GSM/UMTS-based carriers like AT&T, alongside CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev.A for 3GPP2 based carriers like Verizon (it did not have the ability to receive LTE or WiMax). The reason Rodolfo was unable to receive other signals was simply due to carrier restrictions.

The iPhone 5 is similar, however due to LTE complexities there are multiple iPhone 5 variants, however if you were to take a Verizon iPhone 5 and throw a ATT sim card in it it would be able to access the ATT network including HSPA+, it would be unable to access ATT LTE.
Actually, mostly, but not completely. In North America, for the iPhone 4S, this was true. In China however, the iPhone 4S was different. The iPhone 5 has multiple versions, with 2 different GSM models initially (one for North America and one for the rest of the planet), and the CDMA iPhone 5. The GSM version has since been collapsed into one model, the CDMA model still exists (yes, it also supports GSM and LTE), and there is a version for China. Anyway, we're splitting hairs. I'm not sure what signals Rodolfo was unable to receive, but it could have been hardware, or roaming agreements that prevented it. You're correct, though. Same chipset.

The LTE difficulties and the reason we have two iPhones for North America are related to the above space limitations, LTE frequency band issues, engineering design decisions, and the fact that for voice, Verizon (and Sprint) rely on CDMA for voice. Again, same chipset. This is a great article that spells it out in more detail: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

To me, the key questions are:
1. What functions will work/not work if you don't subscribe to a data plan?
2. How much will the data plan(s) cost?

For #1, I can live without Slacker/Maps/Browser/etc. For that, I can easily tether through my iPhone on my Verizon account. I rarely bump into my data limits on my account )shared within my family). And I won't even need to pay the extra $10 for a new "device". If anything, I might need to bump my data limit up from 4GB to 6GB, costing my $10 per month. No problem with that. Basically, anything I use while in the car would be covered.

But since my car won't be in a WiFi zone while parked at work, if not subscribing to data would disable the ability to connect to the car via the app to do things like pre-cool, start/stop charging, check charge status, then that would be a big loss. Tethering through my phone wont work for this use case. I would hope that that would still be enabled because it is central capability of the car, and that it would be covered under the "limited diagnostics data plan" that Tesla maintains even if I don't subscribe. (I'm assuming that Tesla will still need to, and pay for, such a limited plan to cover that access)

If app/remote access is not covered, then it almost mandates signing up for a data plan. And I'll feel trapped by Tesla to buy it, essentially meaning they can charge whatever, and I'd have to pay it, because that capability is absolutely necessary from my perspective. And if it's too high, I wont be happy about it (as I've said before when data plans were first hinted).

If it is included, and all I'd lose are functions that can be replaced via tethering while I'm in the car, then, I'd be willing to pay $15 per month to keep it and the convenience of not having to tether via my phone. (I'm allowing $5 for that convenience)

If app/remote access is not covered, then it almost mandates signing up for a data plan. And I'll feel trapped by Tesla to buy it, essentially meaning they can charge whatever, and I'd have to pay it, because that capability is absolutely necessary from my perspective. And if it's too high, I wont be happy about it (as I've said before when data plans were first hinted).

You could always tether via a MiFi or similar device (or an old phone that you leave in the car). Obviously that device then needs a data plan, but it gives another option in case Tesla's price is extortionate - and the fact tbat you can do this will hopefully discourage Tesla from overcharging.

You could always tether via a MiFi or similar device (or an old phone that you leave in the car). Obviously that device then needs a data plan, but it gives another option in case Tesla's price is extortionate - and the fact tbat you can do this will hopefully discourage Tesla from overcharging.

That will only work for app access if the car does not shut down the WIFI when it goes to sleep. Reports from people running 5.0 are saying that it does shut down.

If so, that's also a problem for people parking in enclosed/underground garages with no cellular coverage who had hoped to fill in with WiFi.

Smart phones generally always drop the Wifi connection when they are asleep as well, since maintaining Wifi means you can't really go to sleep (you have to keep communicating with the base station, or it will drop your connection, and reestablishing the wifi connection takes time). I'd be amazed if Wifi worked when the car is asleep.

From the Q4 Investor Report:

To further enhance the driver experience, new Model S customers will now receive free data connectivity andInternet radio for four years. As an added benefit to our existing Model S customers, the free four year period
starts on January 1, 2014. To be fair to all, in rare cases a customer may be charged for extreme data use.

:-D

Discussion here - Free-data-for-four-years!

Last edited: