Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo owner must pay for meter or unplug electric car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the max amp draw on the Roadster? How does it compare to other typical household applicances that are routinely connected to a 15A receptacle. Does a Roaster get close to maxing it out on it's own?

Edit: Presuming this is a dedicated circuit, does the Roadster max draw come close to the max safe 12A allowed for a 15A circuit?

Last edited:
BTW if anyone's curious about the Kill-A-Watt device that measures kWh allegedly at 15 A, it doesn't. First night I tried it the temp/fuse device melted. I bypassed that and cut vent holes in the device to keep it from heating up, and after a month it melted and nearly fused to the plug. I believe the heat also damaged my GFI plug. They definitely cannot reliably measure at that current level.

There are at least two layers of tragi-comedy playing out here:
  • The amount of electricity being used to charge the car is smaller than the difference between someone who cooks three meals at home vs. someone who usually goes out (or takes in) for meals, or someone with a huge plasma vs. someone with a small LCD; and
  • I'm sure the owner would be willing to pay the extra $1/day, but there's no need for a $3k revenue-quality meter to establish a fair price for the extra usage. Seriously, this is a case where the extra energy could be determined directly from the car, maybe adding 20% to account for losses. Or just add $50/month to the guy's condo fee. Sheesh.

I pay $50/mo fixed for the same reason. Took a lot of back n forth and my Tesla CA helped a lot by talking to the electrician ... Once you start talking to people like an electrician who understand the numbers it's easier. And finding or creating fans of the car (easier with the roadster) makes it easier cuz then they want to help ...
Took me about 6 weeks of negotiations with the apartment complex I finally settled on. That said, I got plenty of other "no" responses ....

But few if any of those meters are designed to meter 40A of 240V power running for hours at a time - they'll melt.

100 Amp 240 Volt Watthour Meter with Base $40.98

Available Here

$(KGrHqN,!osE8VhFwgg-BPLdtRksE!~~60_3.JPG