Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging setup for my condo garage parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo in Boston that has a large parking garage with a dedicated space for each resident. While awaiting delivery of my model Y, I've been thinking a lot about how to optimize my charging situation.

My building has 6 charging bays in the upstairs area of the garage that I will be able to pay to use (Shell Recharge stations with J1772 cables) however they're shared with a valet area and there are certain hours of the day when we're not allowed to be there because valet needs the space and it does get congested at times . They're 7.5 kW level 2 chargers. It's not bad but also far from perfect.

I realized today that there's actually a 120V power outlet very close to my space (see photos). If I could somehow use that outlet I'd have my own private charging area without need to share the upstairs spaces with neighbors and move my car in an hour during different parts of the day. However the tricky part is this otulet is 25 feet from my car so I'd need some sort of extension, and I'd need to find some solution that would allow me to pay for my energy usage.

Let's assume for a moment that the HOA says it's ok for me to set something up as long as I pay for usage and any upgrades to the electricity system. Is it technically feasible to use an outlet 25 feet away? I heard extension cords were now recommended. And are there reasonable metering solutions to help me pay my fair share? How would I go about getting something like this set up?

There is a "right to charge" law in Boston that may be relevant here. It prevents the HOA from prohibiting me from setting up my own personal charger at my own parking space even if that space is in an HOA common area which I believe is how our garage is set up (I own exclusive rights to my one parking space in the parking structure).

IMG_6448.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

Boston's Right to Charge Law prevents homeowner and
condominium associations from prohibiting or unreasonably restricting owner's rights to
install electric vehicle charging stations in areas in which the owner has exclusive rights of
ownership or use. The law imposes rules and regulations on both owners and associations.
Specifically, owners are required to cover installation costs, ensure that the stations are
installed by licensed contractors or electricians, and confirm that the installations comply
with all applicable health, safety, and land use requirements. In addition, owners are
subject to certain disclosure requirements regarding the existence and costs associated with
electric vehicle charging stations.

Associations are prevented from unreasonably restricting owner's rights to install
electric vehicle charging stations but are permitted to place reasonable restrictions which
do not significantly increase the cost of charging stations, significantly decrease their
efficiency, or effectively prohibit the installation altogether. Associations may require the
submission of applications before installation of electric vehicle charging stations. These
applications must be treated in the same manner as all other applications for architectural
modification to the property, and the applications must be approved if the owner complies
with the association's architectural standards and the requirements of the Right to Charge
Law. Associations are prohibited

I am the President of the Board at my HOA. I've worked over the years to use 120V outlets where we can. We've evolved the process over the years and finally have a sustainable solution. We installed cheap consumer meters and put them in locked acrylic containers. Staff reads the meters roughly quarterly and bills us for a set price/kWh based on our historical averages.

1675143666157.png

It is critical to find a meter that records to 99 MWh. The first ones we installed didn't, and we had to replace them with one like this.

Good luck. Charging on 120v isn't ideal, but it does work. I've been doing it for six years.

With this said, we are close to transitioning to traditional L2 charging, and I plan to discontinue the 120V charging because I'd prefer we not be using the old wiring.

Good luck.

EDIT: Also, it's important to understand what else operates on that circuit. We have more outlets than power, so we've mapped out which outlets are on which circuits to ensure we don't end up with multiple EVs using the same circuit, which would trip the circuit. Even when we get that right, you can still easily trip the circuit with almost any other use because the car consumes the whole capacity of that circuit. In my case, my circuit also includes an outlet that contractors use, so the circuit trips when they do so, and I'm charging.

Last edited:
I realized today that there's actually a 120V power outlet very close to my space (see photos). If I could somehow use that outlet I'd have my own private charging area without need to share the upstairs spaces with neighbors and move my car in an hour during different parts of the day. However the tricky part is this otulet is 25 feet from my car so I'd need some sort of extension, and I'd need to find some solution that would allow me to pay for my energy usage.

Let's assume for a moment that the HOA says it's ok for me to set something up as long as I pay for usage and any upgrades to the electricity system. Is it technically feasible to use an outlet 25 feet away? I heard extension cords were now recommended. And are there reasonable metering solutions to help me pay my fair share? How would I go about getting something like this set up?

It seems like the easiest solution is to ask the owners of the spots closer to an available outlet if they will swap with you. Even paying them a little bit would make this whole thing more pleasant.

With a Model Y charging on a 120v 15a outlet you're only going to add about 4 miles of range per hour. Better than nothing, but bear that in mind. It might also be worth working toward a parking space where you can have a 240v 50a outlet installed with its own meter or whatever the HOA requires.

I'm glad you're thinking about these things and planning ahead. I think it's good for everyone who doesn't live in a house with a garage that you and people like you are making it more forefront in HOA's planning that they need to keep EVs in mind.

I am the President of the Board at my HOA. I've worked over the years to use 120V outlets where we can. We've evolved the process over the years and finally have a sustainable solution. We installed cheap consumer meters and put them in locked acrylic containers. Staff reads the meters roughly quarterly and bills us for a set price/kWh based on our historical averages.

It is critical to find a meter that records to 99 MWh. The first ones we installed didn't, and we had to replace them with one like this.

Good luck. Charging on 120v isn't ideal, but it does work. I've been doing it for six years.

With this said, we are close to transitioning to traditional L2 charging, and I plan to discontinue the 120V charging because I'd prefer we not be using the old wiring.

Good luck.

EDIT: Also, it's important to understand what else operates on that circuit. We have more outlets than power, so we've mapped out which outlets are on which circuits to ensure we don't end up with multiple EVs using the same circuit, which would trip the circuit. Even when we get that right, you can still easily trip the circuit with almost any other use because the car consumes the whole capacity of that circuit. In my case, my circuit also includes an outlet that contractors use, so the circuit trips when they do so, and I'm charging.

With this system how much do you typically get billed for your EV charging?

How much do you think you drive a day, and how much charging ability you’ll need? Big difference between Level 1 and Level 2 charging, and getting a HPWC installed.
Not much daily. 15 miles on average. I tend yo do longer weekend drives and mostly around town on week days.
I will probably do big charges on level 2 or super charger but this nearby outlet would be great to have to preserve range overnight on winter deep freezes for example.

It seems like the easiest solution is to ask the owners of the spots closer to an available outlet if they will swap with you. Even paying them a little bit would make this whole thing more pleasant.

With a Model Y charging on a 120v 15a outlet you're only going to add about 4 miles of range per hour. Better than nothing, but bear that in mind. It might also be worth working toward a parking space where you can have a 240v 50a outlet installed with its own meter or whatever the HOA requires.

I'm glad you're thinking about these things and planning ahead. I think it's good for everyone who doesn't live in a house with a garage that you and people like you are making it more forefront in HOA's planning that they need to keep EVs in mind.
My spot is actually more desirable (closer to the door) so I bet there’s a chance they’d agree to the swap. As I understand it we don’t own the space but own a contract that guarantees us exclusive use of our space but nothing says the space can’t change (HOA can even reassign spaces on occasion).

Reactions: LoudMusic

View attachment 901575

Good luck.

Super helpful thanks!

View attachment 901658

Love my old building. They were so cool and helpful to setup my original Sun Country Highway L2, then later charged me a reasonable amount, to modify the setup for the Tesla Wall connector. I'm not metered and occasionally share my spot with another Tesla owner in the complex. Well worth it though.
That is a really great setup! I should definitely talk to them about something like this given my outlet is almost as close as yours. I'd be happy to share it with another Tesla as well (there's sometimes but not always a model Y parked one space over).
So are they just happy to pay the bill or do you need to pay an extra fee since you're not being metered?

Reactions: Luvtoride
good luck, unless your HoA is super easy going I don't think they will take kindly to you just plugging in.

in my building we had somebody with a volt that like to plug into the 120V outlet next to their space, somebody reported it and a locked cover was installed over all outlets

• Informative
Reactions: J-a-x
That is a really great setup! I should definitely talk to them about something like this given my outlet is almost as close as yours. I'd be happy to share it with another Tesla as well (there's sometimes but not always a model Y parked one space over).
So are they just happy to pay the bill or do you need to pay an extra fee since you're not being metered?
Truth is, I got really lucky. When we decided to downsize, we checked out 27 properties before finding this one. Being an I.T. nerd, I had set up a very detailed spreadsheet with formulae for weighting the results. One of these criteria was to install my charger for my then Volt Gen 1. The community manager was the only sympathetic one, to EV's we had met, in all of our searches. Before I could offer to pay for the install, they told us the the on-staff electrician would do it. Had I known that I would eventually get a Tesla, I would have gone for a higher amp circuit than the 30 amp.

The community got flipped and I never had a chance to setup a monthly stipend for my usage. To be honest, I am not even a rounding error, when added to all the community usage for the private roads, 260+ townhouse and two towers. So I paid about 600$ when they converted my dryer plug L2 setup to the hard wired Wall Connector. So now I am "grandfathered" as there has never been anything setup for this. They are totally cool about it and use my "parking spot", as a reference point for new tenants, to show how modern thinking they are. In fact, they are soon installing two paid charging stations in the guest parking. They are definitely forward thinking.

It's a very old building, but a terrific one.

Not much daily. 15 miles on average. I tend yo do longer weekend drives and mostly around town on week days.
I will probably do big charges on level 2 or super charger but this nearby outlet would be great to have to preserve range overnight on winter deep freezes for example.
With 15 miles/day, 120V will be plenty good enough. My wife and I were able to keep two EVs charged using mostly 120V outlets for a few months when we were living in an apartment. You will be able to replenish around 40-50 miles every night, and hey, you also have the L2 chargers available to you if you really need them. You have pretty close to an ideal setup!

I like the suggestion of seeing if you can swap spots with the other person, but even if you can't, you're pretty close and wouldn't need a long extension cord. I think the recommendation against extension cord is because people would misuse or get the wrong type of extension cord. Obviously you want to avoid cords that are too long, don't have sufficient gauge for the current it will be carrying, and/or it is used while coiled up.

You could use a wire gauge calculator to determine what gauge cord you should use. Even for 10-25' of extension cord, it looks like 16AWG would be sufficient, but I would probably opt for 14AWG or better like this: 25 ft. x 14/3 Gauge Indoor/Outdoor Extension Cord, Orange

I would also cover it with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Eapele-Prote...V3WHNQ/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa

I would probably also have some kind of box at the end so the receptacle end of the extension cord wasn't just flapping in the wind. It might also double as a place to put the mobile connector unit, and if you were worried about security, maybe even one with a lockable clasp (okay, it's very low security of course, but still). Something along the line of this (although I think this would be too small):

Thanks, that's helpful. There's always a chance the neighbor might just say no - for example they might want that plug closer to them because they think it gives their parking space (and therefore their unit) more value despite not using it. I could see that. There has been no car there this week so I haven't been able to talk to them.

If you look back at my original photo, how hard would it be to run an extension up and across the ceiling / I-beam? That way nobody would step on it and it could come right down the pole next to my car's charge port. That seems like the best possible solution (as long as I could come to some agreement with HOA about charging at low power from that outlet).

I'd probably still use superchargers for the vast majority of big trips, but it would be nice to get it up to 100% before a road trip in my garage, and avoid too much vampire drain during cold spells. Here in Boston we have cold winters but not often that cold. It's rare to see multiple days below freezing and most winter days aside from a week or so in peak winter are above freezing at some point. This winter has been in the 40s to 50s most days. That said, on Friday night into Sat morning its going down to 0F and on that kind of day (few per year) it would be nice to be plugged in.

This is all very interesting as we are dealing with a similar situation at our Condo development at the Jersey shore ( 2nd home for us). There are currently two level 2 chargers in an outdoor parking lot (Chargepoint) that are serviceable if you leave your car on it at night and the 2nd charger isn't being used (1/2 the charging speed then). The HOA is discussing adding more chargers and upgrading the existing ones with better power supply. We also have a garage with a dedicated space per resident unit, but have been told for various reasons, putting in your own charger there CANNOT be done (building wiring can't support, fire code violations, etc.).
This is going to continue to be an issue at all multi-dwelling housing locations. As more and more residents switch to EV's the demand is quickly out pacing the scant supply of charging options. When it starts impacting the resale market of those developments that DO and DON'T have adequate EV charging solutions, it might get the full attention of HOAs, landlords and the residents of the community.

Reactions: treker
Interesting sitauation. I agree that congestion will definitely be an issue in the near future. While my place has 6 7.5 kW charging locations which is probably enough right now (despite some time limitations), I'm definitely thinking about the future congestion when I consider using this nearby outlet. Wonder if any other unit owners bought Teslas with the 2023 price drops...

Not sure about our codes and wiring situation but Boston has a "right to charge" law where the HOA is forbidden by law from preventing you from adding charging to your own space at your own cost. Now in practice I don't know how that looks (I think they could argue I need to pay for $20k worth of electrical upgrades and buy a special meter to use that outlet to basically make it prohibitively expensive/annoying). I do know however that they just can't forbid the project, only make me pay for stuff myself.

Any idea if your state/city has a similar law?

Interesting sitauation. I agree that congestion will definitely be an issue in the near future. While my place has 6 7.5 kW charging locations which is probably enough right now (despite some time limitations), I'm definitely thinking about the future congestion when I consider using this nearby outlet. Wonder if any other unit owners bought Teslas with the 2023 price drops...

Not sure about our codes and wiring situation but Boston has a "right to charge" law where the HOA is forbidden by law from preventing you from adding charging to your own space at your own cost. Now in practice I don't know how that looks (I think they could argue I need to pay for $20k worth of electrical upgrades and buy a special meter to use that outlet to basically make it prohibitively expensive/annoying). I do know however that they just can't forbid the project, only make me pay for stuff myself.

Any idea if your state/city has a similar law?
The right to charge law is actually pretty common, and extensive throughout CA (-and probably throughout major cities). Yes, the HOA cannot stop you but the law(s) are also quite ambiguous as it leaves room for both the HOA and homeowners to come to a reasonable agreement of what needs to be done.
At the end of the day, it is the high continuous load that is the biggest concern (fire and load hazard). What else is drawing power from the same circuit or panel? Or upgrades needed? That’s the stuff that requires a licensed/insured electrician to provide clarity on and that’s where the requester/homeowner is responsible for the costs.

Just throwing it out there: if you install a HPWC, the equipment (wire, panel, conduit, breaker, etc.) needs to be to code and there’s usually nothing to debate there. But if you want to run the conduit on the ground (because it’s cheaper) but the HOA is insisting the run be overhead (tripping hazard or aesthetic reasons…) and it sets you back another $500… that’s where the hang ups are.

(I was on the board of my condo for years. We never stopped anyone from anything reasonable, but always looked out to make sure any current or future burden is on the requestor, and doesn’t come back to other homeowners or the HOA) ymmv good luck!

Obviously I need to know what else is on the circuit, but if I did something super simple like just plug into this 120V outlet and charge at the lowest power setting my Tesla allows (accepting that this is more to maintain charge in winter than a true charging solution), that should be pretty simple right? Wouldn't that mean less of a chance of a fire hazard than installing a high powered wall connector (HPWC), therefore much lower costs? For an install like that I'd need:
  1. Some sort of conduit run along the ceiling to bring the outlet or an extension cable 25 feet closer to my car (from the image you can see the path is pretty simple there and a high quality extension cord could do the trick)
  2. Some sort of payment agreement (pay HOA $100 per year and call it a day) or metering situation (let them measure my usage and charge me my fair share of the HOA's electricity bill).
In that case I'd be happy to pay a few hundred bucks to have an electrician move or extend the outlet if that's all we'd be doing...

Obviously I need to know what else is on the circuit, but if I did something super simple like just plug into this 120V outlet and charge at the lowest power setting my Tesla allows (accepting that this is more to maintain charge in winter than a true charging solution), that should be pretty simple right? Wouldn't that mean less of a chance of a fire hazard than installing a high powered wall connector (HPWC), therefore much lower costs? For an install like that I'd need:
  1. Some sort of conduit run along the ceiling to bring the outlet or an extension cable 25 feet closer to my car (from the image you can see the path is pretty simple there and a high quality extension cord could do the trick)
  2. Some sort of payment agreement (pay HOA $100 per year and call it a day) or metering situation (let them measure my usage and charge me my fair share of the HOA's electricity bill).
In that case I'd be happy to pay a few hundred bucks to have an electrician move or extend the outlet if that's all we'd be doing...
What you’re proposing sounds reasonable. Probably best to start the conversation with your HOA so everyone can set the right expectations. If you’re the first one to ask for something like this, it may take some time for them to figure out what they want and to come up with the appropriate response (not just for your ask, but future asks too).