Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To long-term contributors of this thread — a Goodbye

FWIW I am in process of disconnecting from TMC, and will no longer be an active participant in this thread or able to assist via PM. I will be selling my MS in upcoming weeks and returning to an in some ways, lesser, PHEV. OTOH, while I won’t go into detail, the new ride I ordered today should amongst other things, bring me superior stability and Infotainment functionality for my needs (including Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, 50+ pages of owner documentation on the broad Infotainment and USB support, while officially supporting up to 15K tracks and 100 playlists on a USB device with all the major encoding formats we’ve come to expect — oh, and no useless Easter Eggs!) ;)

It’s been a long and terribly tough decision, as I adore so much of my MS. I will truly miss being all-electric with all that means to me personally each and every day — but continued uneven Tesla service and the many longstanding unresolved basic software bugs that keep biting me, have driven me to likely take a financial loss and make a change. I appreciate these issues are less important or can be overlooked by some. The aggregate problems I’ve encountered over my 4-year ownership, with no resolution in sight, despite man-weeks of personal effort and many business-like approaches to convey the issues to Tesla, have moved what should have been temporary annoyances into something greater for me — finally surpassing all the wondrous things my MS does provide. Perhaps one day I’ll return to the Tesla family if I see a long-term demonstrated focus on customer satisfaction, problem resolution, and quality.

Until then, I wish you all the best with happy listening to your favorite tunes, as you quickly and silently glide down the highway. You own the best overall EV in the market. Thanks, one last time, for the help many of you have given me over the years in my attempts to listen to my music, my way.​
Your call. Sounds like baby and bath water to me.

sorry to see you go, your contributions to this thread and TMC overall are appreciated, and have certainly helped me in the past. Best wishes and enjoy your new ride.

meanwhile back to the topic of USB playback... on ongoing problem for some time: every couple of days the USB tab in the music player goes completely missing when I get into the car - this is after USB was playing before parking the car so no audio is playing all upon entering the car. So I cannot play USB music from there on, unless I reboot the MCU, or unplug / re-plug in the USB (and wait for the long rescan of 6k+ tracks to complete). OR, if I wait long enough (usually a day or so), the USB will reappear on its own without any action on my part. More annoying than the problem others are still having where USB doesn't resume correctly (that problem thankfully went away for me some time ago). Currently on 2019.28.3.1, although a new software update is in progress tonight - we'll see if that changes anything (highly unlikely).

FWIW I am in process of disconnecting from TMC, and will no longer be an active participant in this thread or able to assist via PM. I will be selling my MS in upcoming weeks and returning to an in some ways, lesser, PHEV.​

Sorry to see you go.

oh, and no useless Easter Eggs!) ;)

This hits the nail on the head. For a loyal customer who deals with the buggy entertainment system on a daily basis, every Easter Egg is just another slap in the face.

Your call. Sounds like baby and bath water to me.

This isn't just about the music player; it's cumulative, and comes from having a multitude of bad product and customer service experiences.

Reactions: BertL
That wasn’t nice.

Bruce.
Sorry. Didn’t intend to be mean. I also appreciate bert’s contributions. Disturbs me that people will get so spun up about a few idiosyncrasies that they sell a car they otherwise love. I realize that these things fester and grow in importance if you let them. I realize it is about more than USB music, but I think that’s root cause in this case. Hope he comes back. Wouldn’t it be ironic if 10 fixes.... but I doubt it.

Sorry. Didn’t intend to be mean. I also appreciate bert’s contributions. Disturbs me that people will get so spun up about a few idiosyncrasies that they sell a car they otherwise love. I realize that these things fester and grow in importance if you let them. I realize it is about more than USB music, but I think that’s root cause in this case. Hope he comes back. Wouldn’t it be ironic if 10 fixes.... but I doubt it.

Actually I'm sorry too...I was more abrupt than I should have been.

On a more positive note, I've learned a lot in this thread about digital audio files and formats, filesystems, storage devices and probably other stuff. Thanks to @BertL and many others for making TMC a learning experience!

Bruce.

Add me to the list of those who are sorry to see @BertL leaving. I appreciated all the information in this thread, and the help that the TMC community provides; we'll try to keep that spirit alive here.

I didn't find @tomas 's comment to be mean-spirited: "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" is a shorthand way of asking whether the annoyances of Tesla ownership outweigh all the positive aspects, and whether ridding yourself of the former has to mean getting rid of the car. It's certainly something I think about a lot more than I used to. Obviously it's a personal decision and the calculus is slightly different for each person's needs, but other car manufacturers bring a different set of issues. Case in point - this blog post I read recently from a BMW owner:

How software made me loathe my luxury car

Reactions: DukeofURL
I've always had BMWs prior to Tesla (my wife still has one), and I was amazed that most of the bugs I'd encountered actually got fixed in my Tesla (and a few new ones introduced, which were then fixed, and then new ones introduced, as the cycled goes). In the BMW world when there's a crippling software bug, it just becomes a quirk of the car. It's "fixed" when you get rid of the car in 3-5 years and get a new one. Once, they upgraded my software during a service visit because they had to in order to fix a broken part they'd replaced. Suddenly, bluetooth worked with my phone where it just had not before, and the official response from the dealer was "sorry."

Is Tesla's software the best? I don't think you'll find many people to agree with that, but it is far, far from the worst.

FWIW I am in process of disconnecting from TMC, and will no longer be an active participant in this thread or able to assist via PM. I will be selling my MS in upcoming weeks and returning to an in some ways, lesser, PHEV. OTOH, while I won’t go into detail, the new ride I ordered today should amongst other things, bring me superior stability and Infotainment functionality for my needs (including Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, 50+ pages of owner documentation on the broad Infotainment and USB support, while officially supporting up to 15K tracks and 100 playlists on a USB device with all the major encoding formats we’ve come to expect — oh, and no useless Easter Eggs!) ;)

It’s been a long and terribly tough decision, as I adore so much of my MS. I will truly miss being all-electric with all that means to me personally each and every day — but continued uneven Tesla service and the many longstanding unresolved basic software bugs that keep biting me, have driven me to likely take a financial loss and make a change. I appreciate these issues are less important or can be overlooked by some. The aggregate problems I’ve encountered over my 4-year ownership, with no resolution in sight, despite man-weeks of personal effort and many business-like approaches to convey the issues to Tesla, have moved what should have been temporary annoyances into something greater for me — finally surpassing all the wondrous things my MS does provide. Perhaps one day I’ll return to the Tesla family if I see a long-term demonstrated focus on customer satisfaction, problem resolution, and quality.

Until then, I wish you all the best with happy listening to your favorite tunes, as you quickly and silently glide down the highway. You own the best overall EV in the market. Thanks, one last time, for the help many of you have given me over the years in my attempts to listen to my music, my way.​

Why not wait to see if they would finally fix the music player in V10? What do you have to lose?

Are people who are following this thread frequently using the contact Tesla Support link to submit requests to fix the USB music player?

Might seem like a drop of water but a drop of water becomes a river if everyone starts submitting support requests for the music player.

I do my part in submitting a support ticket every Monday asking them to please fix the USB music player. I would assume these support requests gets logged somewhere so hopefully sooner or later they will realize how this is affecting so many customers.

I do my part in submitting a support ticket every Monday asking them to please fix the USB music player. I would assume these support requests gets logged somewhere so hopefully sooner or later they will realize how this is affecting so many customers.

just wondering, have you ever received any response from Tesla from your feedback?

as I've mentioned in the past I've submitted a handful of bug reports over the past few years relating to USB and the music player in general, but have never once even received an auto-generated "thank you for your feedback" type of reply. Usually my bug reports have included details how to reproduce the problem with specific symptoms etc. But never a peep back, just crickets. I've also submitted bug reports via voice command (not sure where those go, if anywhere), and also via email to the local service center prior to going in for service, but their responses have been similarly useless (either can't reproduce the problem, or they clear nav history and trip odometers etc with no resolution of actual problem etc).

So while I applaud your determination and effort, I'm just curious if your weekly submissions get any better actual attention.

meanwhile, after the latest update 2019.32.1 the USB tab in the music player still frequently disappears completely when I get back in the car - not entirely sure if it's related to the car going to sleep but it seems to mostly happen when I get in the car first thing in the morning. When this happens, there is no other audio source selected so the music player is quiet, nothing at all is playing. (My feeling is that is just another reincarnation of a years-old music player bug where getting into the car, occasionally there's no audio source, or the wrong audio source selected)

This USB tab-disappearing trick is by far more annoying than the USB not resuming mid song (mine still resumes correctly btw, assuming it hasn't disappeared completely). Interestingly enough, if I momentarily pull out the USB drive and reinsert it, it will usually reappear but NOT require rescanning my drive with 6k+ tracks, ie music is available to play immediately. On at least on occasion I found the missing USB tab reappeared on its own if I waited long enough, i.e. after getting back in the car again later in the day.

just wondering, have you ever received any response from Tesla from your feedback?

as I've mentioned in the past I've submitted a handful of bug reports over the past few years relating to USB and the music player in general, but have never once even received an auto-generated "thank you for your feedback" type of reply. Usually my bug reports have included details how to reproduce the problem with specific symptoms etc. But never a peep back, just crickets. I've also submitted bug reports via voice command (not sure where those go, if anywhere), and also via email to the local service center prior to going in for service, but their responses have been similarly useless (either can't reproduce the problem, or they clear nav history and trip odometers etc with no resolution of actual problem etc).

So while I applaud your determination and effort, I'm just curious if your weekly submissions get any better actual attention.

meanwhile, after the latest update 2019.32.1 the USB tab in the music player still frequently disappears completely when I get back in the car - not entirely sure if it's related to the car going to sleep but it seems to mostly happen when I get in the car first thing in the morning. When this happens, there is no other audio source selected so the music player is quiet, nothing at all is playing. (My feeling is that is just another reincarnation of a years-old music player bug where getting into the car, occasionally there's no audio source, or the wrong audio source selected)

This USB tab-disappearing trick is by far more annoying than the USB not resuming mid song (mine still resumes correctly btw, assuming it hasn't disappeared completely). Interestingly enough, if I momentarily pull out the USB drive and reinsert it, it will usually reappear but NOT require rescanning my drive with 6k+ tracks, ie music is available to play immediately. On at least on occasion I found the missing USB tab reappeared on its own if I waited long enough, i.e. after getting back in the car again later in the day.

I did get a response specifically telling me that they address bug issues based on how many customer complaints they receive.

So I implore EVERYONE to create support tickets from your Tesla account about USB media playback issues. What else can we do?

At the least I know they tabulate what areas of the software customers have issues with and I'm hoping with enough customers voicing concern, they will finally fix the music player resuming issues.

FWIW I must have sent 10 or more comments in about this stuff over the last year. About all I got out of it was a thank you. I sent two this week too. :)

Everyone keep sending support requests from your My Tesla account online about the music player.

That's about all we can do and hopefully someone will see the number of requests coming in about the music player issues and decide spending a week to fix it is not such a bad idea.

Reactions: Stach and kevinf311
I will start sending support requests for this today too! I'm a newer owner and have noticed many media player bugs, but is there a post that contains the complete list of bugs, so that I can easily include them all in my note to Tesla?

Also, does anyone know if the new v10 software that's coming, will be able to play video files (mp4, mkv, etc...) in the new theater app or can you only stream videos from Youtube, etc...???

Reactions: PhilDavid
I did get a response specifically telling me that they address bug issues based on how many customer complaints they receive.

So I implore EVERYONE to create support tickets from your Tesla account about USB media playback issues. What else can we do?

At the least I know they tabulate what areas of the software customers have issues with and I'm hoping with enough customers voicing concern, they will finally fix the music player resuming issues.
Q: where/how exactly are you submitting your bug reports?
is it on your Tesla account page, under Manage -> Request Help ?
there used to be a place on the website to escalate a concern, but I see they've taken that away.

anyhow, my biggest problem with USB playback remains that often when getting back into the car, the USB tab is missing completely. Usually requires unplugging and replugging in the USB (and usually waiting minutes for a full rescan). If the USB tab isn't missing upon entry, then it resumes correctly where it left off, for me at least. Currently on 2019.32.2.2

Q: where/how exactly are you submitting your bug reports?
is it on your Tesla account page, under Manage -> Request Help ?
there used to be a place on the website to escalate a concern, but I see they've taken that away.

anyhow, my biggest problem with USB playback remains that often when getting back into the car, the USB tab is missing completely. Usually requires unplugging and replugging in the USB (and usually waiting minutes for a full rescan). If the USB tab isn't missing upon entry, then it resumes correctly where it left off, for me at least. Currently on 2019.32.2.2

Can you try a different USB drive? I have issues with the music player not resuming music but I always see the USB tab. Maybe it takes a few seconds for the tab to appear when I get in the car as the car initializes everything but it is ALWAYS there.

My biggest problem is when it sits there fr 3 minutes indexing/loading the music rather than resume the music.