Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media search for USB stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only audio we use is a USB drive with 2-3k of songs on it.

For the first month or so of ownership, we could play any song by voice command "play song-name". At some point that stopped working. Not sure exactly when because I often just listen to random shuffle.

I'm trying to figure out what caused the loss and how to get it back. Currently that voice command picks something close and switches to Tune-In (sp?) or Radio. The latest was some NSFW sex advice drivel.

Having no interest in either Radio or Tune-In, neither were ever opened until out of boredom I started clicking icons while waiting a while ago. So, the loss of search for USB content may have happened then. I deactivated every media source that I could but Radio and Tune-In. The sliders for them were grayed out.

I considered maybe I misremembered the voice command but any other I could reasonably imagine does not play a song by name from USB.

Considering maybe some added songs triggered the problem, I loaded just a few of our oldest albums to another USB drive. Play voice commands continued to switch to Tune-In or Radio.

FWIW, there was a software update soon after taking delivery but pretty sure the problem didn't start that early.

What is the fix?

And regardless of what the fix is, how can I kill off Radio and Tune-In? Do I cut the blue wire or the red one?

The only audio we use is a USB drive with 2-3k of songs on it.

For the first month or so of ownership, we could play any song by voice command "play song-name". At some point that stopped working. Not sure exactly when because I often just listen to random shuffle.

I'm trying to figure out what caused the loss and how to get it back. Currently that voice command picks something close and switches to Tune-In (sp?) or Radio. The latest was some NSFW sex advice drivel.

Having no interest in either Radio or Tune-In, neither were ever opened until out of boredom I started clicking icons while waiting a while ago. So, the loss of search for USB content may have happened then. I deactivated every media source that I could but Radio and Tune-In. The sliders for them were grayed out.

I considered maybe I misremembered the voice command but any other I could reasonably imagine does not play a song by name from USB.

Considering maybe some added songs triggered the problem, I loaded just a few of our oldest albums to another USB drive. Play voice commands continued to switch to Tune-In or Radio.

FWIW, there was a software update soon after taking delivery but pretty sure the problem didn't start that early.

What is the fix?

And regardless of what the fix is, how can I kill off Radio and Tune-In? Do I cut the blue wire or the red one?
I think you can “de-select” radio and tune-in, via the sources selection for the in-car-entertainment. As far as the USB is concerned, have you consider taking a thumb drive and formatting in in the car, then loading songs?

Reactions: Hoosier-Daddy
I think you can “de-select” radio and tune-in, via the sources selection for the in-car-entertainment. As far as the USB is concerned, have you consider taking a thumb drive and formatting in in the car, then loading songs?
Thanks, but been there, done that. :)

I can NOT de-select either Radio or Tune-In. The sliders are greyed out for those. But if those aren't causing the loss of USB search, I can tolerate them being there but unused. But very annoying that any play voice command while USB is playing currently automatically invokes one of those and starts playing something from them.

Just to be safe I did format the music USB in the car and then removed it to add music to it. The process added wasted effort since the car demanded I remove the other USB used by the car for Dashcam while formatting the music USB.

Maybe should have mentioned the music is on a USB by itself. But that was the case before the problem started. And the car has no problem indexing the contents. I can display what's on it sorted by song, artist, album, genre, or folder. All content appears to be there and can be selected from the list.

Thanks, but been there, done that. :)

I can NOT de-select either Radio or Tune-In. The sliders are greyed out for those. But if those aren't causing the loss of USB search, I can tolerate them being there but unused. But very annoying that any play voice command while USB is playing currently automatically invokes one of those and starts playing something from them.

Just to be safe I did format the music USB in the car and then removed it to add music to it. The process added wasted effort since the car demanded I remove the other USB used by the car for Dashcam while formatting the music USB.

Maybe should have mentioned the music is on a USB by itself. But that was the case before the problem started. And the car has no problem indexing the contents. I can display what's on it sorted by song, artist, album, genre, or folder. All content appears to be there and can be selected from the list.
Dang! I sure was hoping that could work.

More weirdness:

I rebooted via steering wheel buttons. To see if I could disable Radio and Tune-In after that. No luck, still sliders would not move. So, if I can't get rid of those maybe adding others back in might have some effect. So, I enabled all sources.

Original problem still existed as I predicted. BUT when I went to disable sources again, I could disable Radio now. But it wasn't a matter of "now". After playing around, I found I could disable any combination as long as I left at least 3 enabled. The reason I couldn't disable Radio and TubeIn before was because I had disabled too many others first !!!???!!!.

Who programs a rule that you can't have less than 3 sources?

So, this time I just left Bluetooth, Caraoke and Streaming activated. But unsurprisingly, the original problem of "play song" not working for USB remained.

I find it strange that USB was not listed as a source to be enabled or disabled. Have no idea if it was listed before the problem started, since I never visited the source selection menu until after the problem started.

I still think this could be a glitch that occurs after some sequence of events.

Is there a way to reset the car to as delivered? I would not mind going thru everything again to see when and if the problem returns.

I've never had it work for USB (wish it did!!)

Following this...
Since it did for a while, there has to be some way to get it back. I am suspecting its a bug that only gets triggered after some sequence of events, possibly just opening Radio or Tune-In the first time. Or a badly done enhancement such as trying to combine search used for the other sources with the separate search for USB. If I say "play something" so far off anything in any of the other sources, it does pop up a search screen, but usually just picks something from another source that sounds even remotely like what I said or just has the same number of vowels, etc.. LoL

I posted this a while ago. The ability to search songs in the usb drive disappeared sometime in early to mid 2000s and never came back.

In the old day you could say "play so and so" and it would use spotify first (i think) but if it didnt find the song on spotify it would then move onto the usb drive. USB results would also show up in the search bar.

I have no idea if this was intentional or a bug tesla isnt bothered to fix as most people probably dont listen to music from usb....