Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music stopped working on my Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I come off as a dense newbie, but I am a boomer :)

I got my Model Y at the end of February and after the free month of advanced connectivity expired I bought a year.

Up to the past day or two I used to be able to press the voice button and say something like "play Sting" and it would find a sting song and show a title for the media of something like "Sting Radio". It would then keep feeding me similar songs. I think this might be Spotify.

Today when I do that voice command it brings up a recent search list and shows what seem to be a bunch of music albums. But does not automatically play a song like before.

I may have touched one of the icons for another media source, not sure.

I found the Spotify icon and pressed that. When I did that a prompt to log into Spotify came up. I have never formally used Spotify and do not have a Spotify account or user name and password.

I did buy an FSD subscription and was upgraded to 2023.12.11, but I think I was able to get a song by voice command after that.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks.

Well, after I wrote the previous post I went out to put the Model Y into the garage.

Wouldn't you know it, the voice command to play a song was working again.

I am not sure, but I might have been driving with FSDb and navigate on autopilot when I tried to do the voice commands that did not work. But I think I also tried to do this while in park in my driveway. The spotify login prompt was definitely when parked.

Maybe it was some problem with the LTE cell signal?

I don't think FSDb had anything to do with your music problems, probably just a coincidence. Could have been an LTE problem, hard to say. If it happens again, try rebooting (hold both scroll wheels in until the screen turns off). Note that in the US, you need to create your own Spotify account in order to use it in the car.

I'm guessing many Tesla owners are boomers, so you're in good company. :)

Reactions: brianbcc