Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone app can play your tracks stored in the phone and also stream. The app on Tesla can only stream. I do not believe you have the option of loading your personal music collection to apple music app in Tesla.
when you sign up for Apple Music you can then use a function on a computer* running the Music app to upload your music library to the cloud [the list, not the actual files]
this used to be called iTunes Match
now you just pull down the file menu and select library > update cloud library
you then get access to your whole library - artists, albums and playlists
on Carplay this works very well, but as I’ve mentioned the interface on my Tesla is a bit more tedious

*I’m a Mac user and I’m not sure whether the same functionality is available to Windows users

Reactions: jq371
when you sign up for Apple Music you can then use a function on a computer* running the Music app to upload your music library to the cloud [the list, not the actual files]
this used to be called iTunes Match
now you just pull down the file menu and select library > update cloud library
you then get access to your whole library - artists, albums and playlists
on Carplay this works very well, but as I’ve mentioned the interface on my Tesla is a bit more tedious

*I’m a Mac user and I’m not sure whether the same functionality is available to Windows users
The interface on Itunes windows is very similar. You have to pay for Apple Music if you want to stream through the Apple Music app in Tesla or on your phone. I have all my music stored in the phone or a USB stick and it goes wherever I go! Hence I dont need the hassle of uploading the list to apple server and streaming through an app that has limited functionality. Its fine if you listen to a small number of tracks but most of the space on my Iphone is wasted if I don't load it up with music and also the USB sticks have large capacity that can store ungodly amount of music at very high bit rates. I prefer the trouble free smooth streaming from local sources rather than depending on cloud that is not always available or easily accessible.

Reactions: jq371
The interface on Itunes windows is very similar. You have to pay for Apple Music if you want to stream through the Apple Music app in Tesla or on your phone. I have all my music stored in the phone or a USB stick and it goes wherever I go! Hence I dont need the hassle of uploading the list to apple server and streaming through an app that has limited functionality. Its fine if you listen to a small number of tracks but most of the space on my Iphone is wasted if I don't load it up with music and also the USB sticks have large capacity that can store ungodly amount of music at very high bit rates. I prefer the trouble free smooth streaming from local sources rather than depending on cloud that is not always available or easily accessible.
you said it wasn’t possible and I explained how it worked
apparently it’s not what you want anyway
sure, I pay for Apple Music - it’s a subscription service
I originally wanted Carplay, and still do - in my spouse’s 500e, with Apple Music it’s even better
if you have all your music on your phone that’s fine, but mine wouldn’t fit and Apple Music is a zillion times bigger
what you call ‘a hassle’ gives you a huge library accessible via different devices that otherwise would rely on your computer’s hard disc
I can access it via my car, phone, ipad, Apple tv and even my watch
as can my spouse

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
you said it wasn’t possible and I explained how it worked
apparently it’s not what you want anyway
sure, I pay for Apple Music - it’s a subscription service
I originally wanted Carplay, and still do - in my spouse’s 500e, with Apple Music it’s even better
if you have all your music on your phone that’s fine, but mine wouldn’t fit and Apple Music is a zillion times bigger
what you call ‘a hassle’ gives you a huge library accessible via different devices that otherwise would rely on your computer’s hard disc
I can access it via my car, phone, ipad, Apple tv and even my watch
as can my spouse
Unfortunately, the music I listen to does not exist on Apple Music! So I would be paying a subscription fee for nothing!

Unfortunately, the music I listen to does not exist on Apple Music! So I would be paying a subscription fee for nothing!
if you upload your music library, doesn't it then 'exist'?
are you talking about a particiaulrar style or ethnicity?
I don't claim to know how much there is from everywhere, but material published by major labels should be there

I’ve never used the Apple iTunes Match service, but my recollection is they state that any song/music that is not in their 100-million+ song library will not be ‘Matched’ (because it can’t be ‘Matched’) hence will not be available to stream.

Uploading your library is not uploading the actual content, only the metadata about what content you have and how it is organised.

I’ve never used the Apple iTunes Match service, but my recollection is they state that any song/music that is not in their 100-million+ song library will not be ‘Matched’ (because it can’t be ‘Matched’) hence will not be available to stream.

Uploading your library is not uploading the actual content, only the metadata about what content you have and how it is organised.
I’m not sure that’s the case.

I have added music to my library which I have remixed/edited myself so they don’t exist anywhere except in my collection, but I can steam those from my Apple Music Tesla app and also Apple Music web browser from a remote computer .. and the file is not stored locally on those device so they must upload to an Apple server.

Same thing goes for many remixes and unreleased tracks in my collection - they aren’t available on streaming but I can play them remotely thru my Apple Music.

I think iTunes Match will play their versions of songs that are identical to your collection of songs, but anything that doesn’t match is uploaded to their server.

Reactions: dronus
are you talking about a particiaulrar style or ethnicity?
I don't claim to know how much there is from everywhere, but material published by major labels should be there
I do not believe Apple lets you upload your music unless you downloaded from them. It is good for things you downloaded from Apple and the amount of music I download from Apple is less than 10%. You can upload certain things but the capacity is limited. You can buy more space in the cloud and keep uploading your music but then again you are depending on external factors more than what you have in your hand. It does not work for me. I guess it works well for some. No, most major labels do not carry all the music. A lot of music from elsewhere in the world does not exist and also don't forget freelance artists that make music for passion and not necessarily be on big labels. Sync to my Iphone and play it wherever I want! Its as simple as that.

I do not believe Apple lets you upload your music unless you downloaded from them.
nope - iTunes Msrvh was invented to replicate the libraries on users‘ computers irrespective of source
I have many thousands of songs in my library and very few via Apple downloads
You can upload certain things but the capacity is limited.
as someone else pointed out, the actual music file isn’t uploaded
You can buy more space in the cloud and keep uploading your music but then again you are depending on external factors more than what you have in your hand.
I think you’ve been misinformed as to how the music libraries work
It does not work for me. I guess it works well for some. No, most major labels do not carry all the music. A lot of music from elsewhere in the world does not exist and also don't forget freelance artists that make music for passion and not necessarily be on big labels. Sync to my Iphone and play it wherever I want! It’s as simple as that.
feel free to do that - as you’ve said, you have a system that works for you