Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compass and Elevation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Altimeter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ....GPS may be unavailable, for example....or may give wildly inaccurate altitudes when all available satellites are near the horizon...]
Huh? That makes no sense as GPS satellites are in geostationary orbit. Your GPS doesn't stop working at night....The perils of Wikipedia!

I stand corrected! And also slightly dizzy from watching that graphic flying round.... Although I think it also proves my point as your graphic never shows less than 7 satellites visible at any one time.
I think you should just read up on how GPS works. All the sats near the horizon presents a geometry issue (all within the same plane) that further reduces vertical accuracy. The problem is not that the sats are setting over the horizon, as your posts seem to imply (or refute, rather).

There are also signal propagation issues that get worse as the signal has to travel through more of the atmosphere (i.e. low down). This will be improved as the new systems use more frequencies, allowing receivers to compare how each signal on a wider range of frequencies was affected and correcting errors more accurately than is currently possible.

But yeah, while 7+ sats are possible to see - and I have done many times - often hills or buildings will mean you only see 3 or 4. I've seen receivers that claim to be able to track 21 satellites, which is somewhat pointless.

There is Enhanced GPS as well as DGPS. Using cellular towers along with GPS to determine exact positions within 3 feet is how Enhanced GPS works. DGPS uses dedicated radio towers and a dedicated receiver. DGPS is by far less common now because of it was phased-out by the advent of Enhanced GPS.

In short your best bet for positioning is your iPhone/Android Phone. (at least in an urban setting) Out in the country your best bet is your handheld Garmin or Magellan.

There are also signal propagation issues that get worse as the signal has to travel through more of the atmosphere (i.e. low down). This will be improved as the new systems use more frequencies, allowing receivers to compare how each signal on a wider range of frequencies was affected and correcting errors more accurately than is currently possible.

But yeah, while 7+ sats are possible to see - and I have done many times - often hills or buildings will mean you only see 3 or 4. I've seen receivers that claim to be able to track 21 satellites, which is somewhat pointless.

Although now I have learnt more about GPS than I ever needed to know, I spent this morning driving round with the GPS satellite display on the e-dashboard. My Roadster tracks 11 satellites and always locked on 9 of them. Which 9 from 11 varied but it never changed from 9; all my driving was within a 20 mile radius. The most interesting thing is that my Roadster elevation stayed on 0ft the whole time while the GPS altitude showed anything from 65-113ft over what was pretty flat territory. (From previous explanations, now I know why). BTW: At home now my driveway is 11ft above sea level but the GPS altitude shows it as being 65ft.

I wonder why Tesla included the elevation readout on the VDS? Does it serve a purpose for anyone that I am too dumb to figure out living at sea-level?

Last edited:
If it doesn't it should. I wouldn't trust GPS based altitude to better than 100ft. (It's basically due to geometry why GPS does much better at 2D horizontal measurement than it does for altitude.) A calibrated barometer does better than GPS for altitude, but I don't know if the Roadster uses one.

I can confirm: the GPS based navigation system in my phone tells me I live 70 feet below sea level. If that were true, I would have noticed by now!

Yes, I think accuracy is better in the horizontal plane.
This topic is about vertical (elevation) accuracy...

Yes, horizontal accuracy of GPS is MUCH better than vertical. You can't really trust vertical at all; the accuracy is poor and varies over time as the satellite geometry changes. Horizontally it can be astonishingly accurate.

The reason why altitudes are consistently off by the same amount in many locations is down to the difference between the approximated WGS84 ellipsoid that GPS uses and real local sea levels. Some receivers include a look-up table that corrects this, sounds like the Roadster's doesn't.