Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried two different Bay Area FasTrak transponders in two locations - in the black area to the right of the mirror and directly under the mirror mount and it didn't work in either location with either transponder on FasTrak lanes on the Golden Gate Bridge. I consulted Tesla Ownership Experience and was advised that I should consider an external mount (on top of the front license plate). Since I had already gotten the front license plate bracket, I did get an external transponder and it works fine, although it does nothing to increase the attractiveness of the front license plate! I have no idea why the windshield locations seems to work for some cars and not for others....

Mitchell

I have no front bracket so that doesn't sound good. I'm suprised a car made in the Bay Area wouldn't support a Bay Area toll transponder. Can someone please comment if they are able to get theirs working behind the glass somehow?

I can confirm that it will NOT work anywhere on the left side of the windshield. It will also not work left or right of the rear view mirror mount. It will work right below the mirror mount.

I have had similar experience. On the Dulles Toll Road in Nothern VA, my EZPass transponder doesn't work when mounted to the right or to the left of the rear view mirror. I haven't tried it below the mirror. Works fine when I open the sunroof and hold it up!

Currently, this is the only problem I have with the car that is a serious problem for me. I have two transponders, one for the tolls here, and one for the community where I live. Neither of them is working at the spot discussed in this thread. Here in Florida we do not have front license plates, and even if we did, it wouldn't work because we also have "Express lanes" where you pay using a transponder to use them -- unless you are driving an EV, in which case it is free. If the transponder is there, you will be charged, whether you are supposed to be or not. So mounting it out of disabling reach will not work (or will cost more). This thread has been quiet for a while. Any new successes????

Currently, this is the only problem I have with the car that is a serious problem for me. I have two transponders, one for the tolls here, and one for the community where I live. Neither of them is working at the spot discussed in this thread. Here in Florida we do not have front license plates, and even if we did, it wouldn't work because we also have "Express lanes" where you pay using a transponder to use them -- unless you are driving an EV, in which case it is free. If the transponder is there, you will be charged, whether you are supposed to be or not. So mounting it out of disabling reach will not work (or will cost more). This thread has been quiet for a while. Any new successes????

I've had sporadic success holding my sunpass on the backside of the mirror.. Not against the glass, but the mirror itself. Got to be a sweet spot there about....

If my windshield is broken by a stone and needs to be replaced, do I need to contact Tesla service or could I use a mobile service like Autoglass USA, and if so perhaps the glass won't be coated and Sunpass, gate openers, and radar detectors will then work?

If my windshield is broken by a stone and needs to be replaced, do I need to contact Tesla service or could I use a mobile service like Autoglass USA, and if so perhaps the glass won't be coated and Sunpass, gate openers, and radar detectors will then work?

They'd have to have the exact glass shape and my guess is that they won't have Tesla's so they would have to order the windshield from Tesla.

Update: I drove through golden gate 3 times and bay bridge once and it worked fine by holding the fast pass behind the mirror and to the right. No issues because I have long arms.
+1 Drove from the Factory across 92 today and holding the FastTrak transponder on the dots to the right of the mirror worked fine. I don't have long arms (physically average) and it worked just fine. Wife hasn't tried it yet. May just stick it to the windshield in that spot w/ the velcro and she can remove it if needed during commute time.

Express Lanes are free for EVs in Florida? I thought we could just drive the HOV lane.

Which SunPass style were you using? I have the RF kind that is just a sticker. Same but smaller kind for my development. Nothing that uses a battery.

Express Lanes are free for EVs in Florida? I thought we could just drive the HOV lane.

Which SunPass style were you using? I have the RF kind that is just a sticker. Same but smaller kind for my development. Nothing that uses a battery.

I have tried both the very old kind that takes a battery, and the newer (Sunpass Plus) that doesn't take a battery but is removable. Yes, the Express Lanes are free for EVs, so the sticker doesn't work for me. I have tried everything, at this point. I now need to try my Sunpasses in someone else's car, to prove or disprove that it's a bad windshield.

Well, FWIW, I spent some time on the highway today in Florida ... and this position has been the best success I've had using our SunPass.

20121213_124218.jpg

Has anyone found success using RFID type passes? In Florida, SunPass has three varieties. Two that require batteries and one that is a passive RFID sticker. When I lived up North EZ Pass was a battery powered unit, but I am wondering if they have progressed to passive RFID as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it's a bit chilly out at the moment and this may seem a bit silly, but what about opening up the pano roof and holding it up in the open space?

It rains just about every day in the Summer here in Florida. No way is this an option for me. I prefer to remain dry while driving.