Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Control the Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone come up with a way to keep the trunk cool while driving when it's hot out, and warm when it's cold out?
Actually I have a temp probe setup in both the trunk and the cabin (to monitor security cameras overheating). When parked in the sun, even when the cabin reaches over 130 degrees, the trunk remains a lot cooler, at 90 degrees. Haven't had the probe on when driving (requires internet) so don't know how it changes when cabin is cooled though.

Actually I have a temp probe setup in both the trunk and the cabin (to monitor security cameras overheating). When parked in the sun, even when the cabin reaches over 130 degrees, the trunk remains a lot cooler, at 90 degrees. Haven't had the probe on when driving (requires internet) so don't know how it changes when cabin is cooled though.
Temp outside was right around 100 degrees and I can only go off of touch, but her string instrument felt very warm after riding in the trunk for over an hour. Curious to know what the temp actually gets to though.

Temp outside was right around 100 degrees and I can only go off of touch, but her string instrument felt very warm after riding in the trunk for over an hour. Curious to know what the temp actually gets to though.
Was going to edit my comment. You can put a thermometer in the trunk to see if you need cooling for the trunk in the first place (there are wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer that have an outdoor receiver you can keep in the trunk so you can monitor temps from inside your car).

If you have a older model 3, there is a trunk vent that you can easily run 5V USB fans to (or if you are handy, you can use 12V computer case fans, connecting it to a cigarette port pigtail). You can see a window if you peer into the top of the trunk. The newer ones have it sealed.
on04sb3394a31.jpg

The newer ones instead have two holes in the two sides of the parcel shelf (one on each side) used for pressure equalization. It is the arrow on the bottom (not the top one), from other thread:
30469485117_901ef9c494_b_d.jpg

12V Switched Power in Rear (Radar Detector Install)

However, I highly doubt you can get much air into the trunk through those holes even if you run fans. For cold days you can use an electric blanket, but no similar solution for hot days.

Another way is to buy a cooler and put your instrument into it. Then freeze some bottled water in a freezer (or if you have gel ice packs or rubber water bottle that works too) and put them in the cooler when you travel (make sure your instrument is in a waterproof bag or a plastic bag to prevent condensation from damaging it). I personally use a cooler to transport food and it easily keeps things cool for hours even with the car parked in the sun (the trunk being cooler helps).

For cold days, you can use the same cooler and instead use rubber hot water bottles (there are ones for pain relief which you can fill with warm water from the tap) or reusable hot packs (requires boiling them). You may want to line your cooler with foil to keep the heat in.

If you can't find a cooler that can fit your instrument, you can make your own makeshift one from rigid foam insulation (available at home improvement stores in various thicknesses for cheap). You can plan out the size at home (make sure it can fit instrument with space for the bottled water/packs, and of course needs to fit in your trunk and be taken in/out).
R-Tech 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-7.7 Rigid Foam Insulation 310891
It is much cheaper to buy a whole 4x8 sheet, just cut it to size in the parking lot (you need at least the larger dimensions so you can fit into the car, and cut the smaller bits at home). It can easily be cut with a long retractable utility knife, with a measuring tape to get the dimensions. You can tape the edges with foil tape to make it airtight and into a box. Only thing a bit difficult is designing a lid that is easy to open and close, while being mostly airtight. You can see how other manufactured box lids are made, maybe if you buy a thick enough sheet, you can cut out a shape like it (or use two pieces and glue together; can also cut smaller pieces and make an wraparound edge).
14-10# STYRO BOX/LID

Last edited:
They sell some Model 3 trunk insulation don't know if it would help.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
They sell some Model 3 trunk insulation don't know if it would help.
If the trunk is properly insulated, another idea is to pre-cool the car with the seats down. Then hopefully through the trip the temperature doesn't change too much.

Reactions: ElectricNerd