Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control acting odd...cold air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my LR AWD Model 3 on Friday. Today was the first day of longer drives, and commuting. Overall did pretty well although with some quirks.

The one thing that did bother me was that while driving home, I had the inside temp set to 70. Outside temp was a constant 55 degrees. Was partly sunny at best. More like overcast. All of a sudden I got cool air out of the dash vents! My climate was set to auto, and had been all day. In the morning when it was cooler, it had worked fine. Over the weekend it was warmer and worked fine.

I changed to manual and put the air flow to the floor, but that wasn’t great. It was better, and warm-ish, but still cool. Going back to auto and cranking the heat to 75 gave me heat back. Too much, I put it back to 70, and it was good. 5 minutes later, did the same thing.

SOC was in the high 20’s at this point. I arrived home with 27%.

Any idea what gives? Thanks.

I don't think it is normal but I have seen the same behavior quite a few times. Seems cold in the car but it is still blowing cold/cool air. You have set the temp in the car a bit higher before it starts producing warm air again. It looks like the thermostat is off by a few degrees

Yes. My S has been doing this since V9 release. The climate control is all over the place. 41 degree outside air temperature driving along. I have the climate control set for 67, the app says the car thinks it's 71 in the car. How the car reached 71 when I never asked for a temperature that high is beyond me. Then at random the system will start blowing cold air but the car never seems to cool down so I expect it's blowing cold air out of one vent while blowing hot out of somewhere else. This is at night so no sunlight coming through the windows potentially screwing with sensors.