Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrysler 200 - What I think Model 3 should look like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what should a "modern EV" look like? The Leaf, with its weird, fender-length headlights and fat, ugly butt that looks like someone duct-taped half a 55 gallon drum onto the bumper as an afterthought?

Not a fan of the LEAF, it's a weirdmobile, without the benefit of amazing aerodynamics that might justify it's looks.

Why should it look "non-ICEy"? There's nothing about the design of the S that is inherently "EV-ish"

The small grill openings are certainly non-ICEy, especially considering many current ICE designs. The fake nose cone was just to keep the car more familiar looking. They got rid of that for the X, and I'll assume they'll do the same for the 3. They need highly efficient aerodynamics to get an affordable EV with sufficient range.

If the 3 comes out looking like a Leaf/Juke wierdmobile, I'm out. I don't want a car that screams "look at me, I'm driving an EV. I'm better than you!". I trust that it won't, given Elon's past comments about wierdmobiles

I don't want a wierdmobile either, but I'd like and expect something distinctive, while being classy, and I expect it to reflect the design opportunities provide by an EV.

+++1, the Optima is a design statement 4 sure.

I've always like the Optima as well, and thought that more a streamlined EV version of it would make a nice Model 3.

mazda-3-sedan.jpg
It will look like this, bet me.

I feel fairly confident in saying that if Tesla designed it like an american muscle car it would have close to zero mass market appeal globally. Of course these cars have fans everywhere, but they are not mass market design.

I hope they go in the direction of the Mazda 6 with their own unique twist and a design that plays to the strength of an EV. The same goes for the CUV version as well.

Likely the new Leaf concept ...

View attachment 98967

It would be amazing if the new Leaf would be on a 'from scratch EV chassis' as radical improvements (like the S) could be achieved. While I like the look those lines will cost Nissan dearly in development and might not appeal to everyone buying the car. I would applaud Nissan though if they went the route of producing a Leaf that looked both beautiful and functional.

One of the main things I want to see from Model 3 is unrivaled aerodynamics. The Model S and X are already exceptionally slippery and I hope that the Model 3 exceeds the 0.23Cd of these cars. 0.20 Cd would be amazing.

Clean aerodynamics is the single easiest way to hit the 200 real-world miles threshold at $35,000. You can have a smaller and cheaper battery if the Wh/mi is lower.

I'm a pilot (and a cyclist) so clean aero is something that I have an intuitive feel for.

Last edited: