Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Focal IW T3Y 200 vs Focal ISU 200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have the focal ISU 200's in my doors with a bracket and saw the release of the latest by Focal which is made to fit the doors of Tesla. At first I was like oh who cares I already have them, then I couldn't help but think there must more more than having the bracket and harness built in. They see to be relatively similar but the differences that jump out are -

1. the impedance being incredibly
2. the frequency response also being slightly different
3. The Flax cone vs Polyglass

Look at the two spec sheets for each:
Links (pics attached):

Does anyone think they will be better speakers? Or more tailored to the output of the tesla? 1000 is a large price tag but focal does make some great products.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.48.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.48.17 AM.png
    266 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.48.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.48.21 AM.png
    264.5 KB · Views: 53
I was wondering this too, but then saw the price! Easier to fit from new if you hadn’t upgraded already, but as you already have door adaptors you can take your pick of shallow 8” drivers eg AD W800neo.

Steg also have the MT8 with built in Tesla door adapter but would want to remove the terrible grill first.

I actually got a response from them, I'm kind of shocked to be honest. I'd think that they would at least want to puff it up a bit to sell more.
I don't think they know what they're talking about.

My 2 cents as an electrical engineer with some speaker systems/crossovers building experience as a hobby (read as "not an expert"):
- the spec sheets suppose to be the source of truth, Fs (resonance frequency) are very different - 40Hz (iw-t3y-200) vs 73Hz (isu200); for me personally I hope that iw-t3y-200 would remove the need to have a subwoofer in a small car like 2023 model 3 rwd
- you need measurements in the car to tell difference, for example I use open-sourced REW software with USB calibrated mic UMM-6; everybody hears sound differently
- I'm considering these 8" woofers as well and you can get iw-t3y-200 for about USD500 shipped from 12volt-shop.com or about $550 off ebay (you might need to pay tax on top of that, I'm unsure about ebay anymore)

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
I have the entire setup. Its a big difference in sound from factory but Comparing the 2 8 inch speakers u wont hear much of a difference. After a month I wanted more so i got a Mosconi 8/10 dsp amp, Mosconi Atomo 2 for the center ch and i also added 2 10 inch focal flax 10 running of a Mosconi pico 1. Adding a dsp amp is a must running these focal speakers otherwise your not getting the full potential out of these speakers.