Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child seat confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are are you referring to the top tethers for the car seats? They are present but I had to crawl into the trunk to find them. They are vertical slits and I had to find them by feel the first time. I had 2 car seats in the back when the kids were younger. Don't forget the car seat protectors, the amount of food particles and drink stains that accumulates behind the seats is astounding.

Okay, so I guess way down hidden at the bottom, there are some metal rods that *may* be child hooks? I was able to (I think) clip them in, but I can't see, and the fit is really tight.

As for the 3 LATCH connectors, I guess they have updated the website:

• Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)

I don't have 3 kids anyway, so I'm not going to put too much effort into figuring this out, but I guess it will work.

Okay, so I guess way down hidden at the bottom, there are some metal rods that *may* be child hooks? I was able to (I think) clip them in, but I can't see, and the fit is really tight.

As for the 3 LATCH connectors, I guess they have updated the website:

• Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)

I don't have 3 kids anyway, so I'm not going to put too much effort into figuring this out, but I guess it will work.

They are about half way down the back of the seat. I can take a picture if you want.

image.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: DrManhattan
I'd be very surprised if they aren't there. The carpet material has a thin slit in it, which might be hard to find the first time. I doubt you can see the slits, but if you run your hand over the surface you should be able to feel the metal loop underneath, and then open up the slit.

I'd be very surprised if they aren't there. The carpet material has a thin slit in it, which might be hard to find the first time. I doubt you can see the slits, but if you run your hand over the surface you should be able to feel the metal loop underneath, and then open up the slit.
That's how it was on the early (and maybe all) cars. The slit is there, but it's laser-cut or something and stock you can't even tell it's there. I had to kind of jam my finger in there and rip the slot open. I was able to find the right location by pushing on the seatback and looking for the area that had a little give to it. Then once I found it, jamming my finger in there.

Honestly how is this third latch point important. How can European child seats be as safe omitting this latch point???

It's just a different safety requirement for a different region. I don't know the specifics but it seems isofix also has another leg for stability, and LATCH has a rear latch behind the seat somewhere. I wouldn't get caught up in the differences especially if you are stuck with whatever regional requirement you have.