Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child booster car seats (non-tesla products)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to point out that you SHOULD NOT be using latch if your child and car seat weigh more than 65 COMBINED.

I'm guessing your child and car seat are past that weight, so you should switch to using the seatbelt to hold the car seat/booster in place.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/w...now-about-new-child-car-seat-latch-rules.html

Thanks for providing the link. My reading of it is that the NHTSA is pondering the idea of stipulating that weight limit, and that car-seat manufacturers and child-safety groups are suggesting the limit is not a great idea. There seems to be quite a bit of debate about this, based on that story. My son isn't over that limit yet, but my guess is that when he does exceed it he will also have exceeded the size accommodated by the five-point harness. Based on this and on the assumption that laws/regs will still be what they are now, I would guess the safest choice will be to attach the seat to the car with LATCH anchors, then use the seatbelt to hold him into the seat itself.

This is a seat I was thinking about but it looks massive.

How well do they fit with the latch? Can your oldest buckle in himself or are you using a seat belt extender? Does the seat cover the buckles at all?

Thanks for your help!

Yes
My 5yo buckles himself
Seat has the smallest footprint, they even guarantee you can put 3 seats in one row on any midsize sedan
Very comfy and safe seats and they have wider belts with more cushion for even better protection

P.S. they only other option i considered before i bought Diono, was Recaro pro sport
But all other carseats are so bulky and have cheap crappy material and not as well built

I think the issue is that the Latch system was not designed to hold in that much weight combined, but the seatbelt system is. So using a car seat with a large child, it makes sense to use the seatbelt to hold the car seat in. We have a Graco that goes up to 85 lbs and my child is 60+. It's safer to have them in a 5 point harness for longer, so keeping him in that seat is a good thing, but using the seatbelt instead of latch is safer, because it's designed to hold more weight.

Thanks for providing the link. My reading of it is that the NHTSA is pondering the idea of stipulating that weight limit, and that car-seat manufacturers and child-safety groups are suggesting the limit is not a great idea. There seems to be quite a bit of debate about this, based on that story. My son isn't over that limit yet, but my guess is that when he does exceed it he will also have exceeded the size accommodated by the five-point harness. Based on this and on the assumption that laws/regs will still be what they are now, I would guess the safest choice will be to attach the seat to the car with LATCH anchors, then use the seatbelt to hold him into the seat itself.

I'm bringing this thread back to life. I am looking for options and ideas with booster seats that will fit in a Model S.

Right now, we've got a Britax Frontier which works fine with the harness system, but once we convert over to using the seat belt (40 pounds) the Tesla's buckle is obscured by the seat itself making it a major pain to get the latch in. I've not seen anything about whether belt extenders are legal but seems the simplest answer (also, is there a specific latch size I need to be concerned with or is it universal?).

I've tested out a couple of backless boosters but still have the same problem of obscuring the buckle. I want my child to be able to eventually buckle themselves in, but they won't be able to as long as the buckle isn't easy to get to.

Seems to me that Tesla placed the buckles more evenly place out across the back seat than most other manufacturers (presumably for the middle passenger's comfort).

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

I'm bringing this thread back to life. I am looking for options and ideas with booster seats that will fit in a Model S.

Right now, we've got a Britax Frontier which works fine with the harness system, but once we convert over to using the seat belt (40 pounds) the Tesla's buckle is obscured by the seat itself making it a major pain to get the latch in. I've not seen anything about whether belt extenders are legal but seems the simplest answer (also, is there a specific latch size I need to be concerned with or is it universal?).

I've tested out a couple of backless boosters but still have the same problem of obscuring the buckle. I want my child to be able to eventually buckle themselves in, but they won't be able to as long as the buckle isn't easy to get to.

Seems to me that Tesla placed the buckles more evenly place out across the back seat than most other manufacturers (presumably for the middle passenger's comfort).

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

We found the same issue with our MS and MX. You might check out my post here in case this is of any assistance. We were surprised to find a suitable car seat at Walmart of all places as I was prepared to spend a fortune on a Porche child booster.

Child booster seat for third row