Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Wall Charger Install Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - Making my first new post based on my experience getting a Tesla Wall Charger installed by Kapital Electric in Chicago, IL. I have no affiliation with them, just wanted to share my experience with others in the area.

A little background on what .
- Single family home with detached garage
- Garage has basic electrical - needed to run new conduit from main panel in the house
- 50' of conduit required to get from house to garage

I got several bids, and all of them came in around the same price, about $2,000. Keep in mind that they had to run 50' of conduit and trench about 25'-30' of that distance. Kapital Electric sent two guys out and they got the job completed in one day. Very nice guys and they worked efficiently and cleaned up after themselves. They also provided the wall charger for an additional $500, bringing my total cost to approximately $2,500.

Once they left I had issues with completing the setup of the wall charger with my WiFi. I called them and they sent another electrician out the next day with a brand new wall charger and confirmed the wall charger was fully operational and connected. They originally installed a charger with an 8' cord, but replaced it with the 18' cord.

Overall a very positive experience and would definitely recommend them for installations in the Chicago area.

Now I just wait for the car....

Reactions: GOVA
It's totally usable if the vehicle is always parked the same way and the wall connector is mounted in an appropriate position. It eliminates a bunch of coiled up cable.

With that said, there's no way I'd get an 8'! Ha ha!

I don't doubt it and I can see it being usable, I just didn't know they eve made 'em that short

I bought the 18 footer ... about a week before they brought out the 24 footer <bang head>

(and about two months before I even got ... will get ... am expecting ... at this point just hoping to get the vehicle)

It's totally usable if the vehicle is always parked the same way and the wall connector is mounted in an appropriate position. It eliminates a bunch of coiled up cable.

With that said, there's no way I'd get an 8'! Ha ha!
It really wouldn't have been a problem for me as the charger is right next to where I will be parking every day. That being said, I wasn't going to turn down the longer cord option!

Reactions: LoudMusic
Do test it out with any Tesla to see if it works.

To what amperage did you set it up to? What wire gauge did they use? What fuse is it on?
They put it on a 60amp circuit and I believe the Tesla gen 3 draws 48 amps. Mine charges at around 40-42 miles/hr

Here’s a photo of the completed install. I also did a whole home surge protector

Attachments

• 3B3907F9-0251-467D-BC1E-53652A3105CB.jpeg
    3B3907F9-0251-467D-BC1E-53652A3105CB.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 2,970
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Hello - Making my first new post based on my experience getting a Tesla Wall Charger installed by Kapital Electric in Chicago, IL. I have no affiliation with them, just wanted to share my experience with others in the area.

A little background on what .
- Single family home with detached garage
- Garage has basic electrical - needed to run new conduit from main panel in the house
- 50' of conduit required to get from house to garage

I got several bids, and all of them came in around the same price, about $2,000. Keep in mind that they had to run 50' of conduit and trench about 25'-30' of that distance. Kapital Electric sent two guys out and they got the job completed in one day. Very nice guys and they worked efficiently and cleaned up after themselves. They also provided the wall charger for an additional $500, bringing my total cost to approximately $2,500.

Once they left I had issues with completing the setup of the wall charger with my WiFi. I called them and they sent another electrician out the next day with a brand new wall charger and confirmed the wall charger was fully operational and connected. They originally installed a charger with an 8' cord, but replaced it with the 18' cord.

Overall a very positive experience and would definitely recommend them for installations in the Chicago area.

Now I just wait for the car....

I've called them to schedule an estimate appointment. I'm in the Dupage Country area.

Single family, attached garage. I'm pretty sure I have 200A service looking at my breaker box. Where I want to setup the charger though, the box is located in my basement opposite of where I want to place the charger in the garage.

Oh, sorry. Pass through outside through my wall. I find it very useful when charging the car outsize. 2" PVC will do. The plug fits well and it is not too big. Capped on both sides while not in use.

Interesting how does that work? Do you have a photo? I have a 3 car garage and I'm planning on putting the charger in the pillar between my two garages. It would be nice to have that pass through available whenever I have the Cybertruck as I won't be able to fit that inside the garage at its current size.

It is very similar to this:
Pass Through

My wall is brick and I used 2" PVC pipe which is more rigid all the way through. Threaded cap inside, regular cap outside.
I am sure you'll get the idea.

I found an older post here, but can't find it today. The poster did it through a wooden "shed" wall.

I've called them to schedule an estimate appointment. I'm in the Dupage Country area.

Single family, attached garage. I'm pretty sure I have 200A service looking at my breaker box. Where I want to setup the charger though, the box is located in my basement opposite of where I want to place the charger in the garage.
Any idea of how much installing a 220V circuit and Nema 14-50 outlet should cost (broad range is fine). My current garage infrastructure only supports 110V. I am currently being quoted around $2,750 for the full installation for the spot in my 3-car condo garage in Chicago. This includes extending a conduit and upgrading my control breaker box that is in a storage unit just outside the garage. Just don't have any idea if this is a reasonable price or not and would appreciate some insight.

Any idea of how much installing a 220V circuit and Nema 14-50 outlet should cost (broad range is fine). My current garage infrastructure only supports 110V. I am currently being quoted around $2,750 for the full installation for the spot in my 3-car condo garage in Chicago. This includes extending a conduit and upgrading my control breaker box that is in a storage unit just outside the garage. Just don't have any idea if this is a reasonable price or not and would appreciate some insight.
How long is the new conduit? Where is the main panel vs the planned outlet? Same floor/room?

^ so based on this, current prices, and this being Chicago it seems so-so. I'd call it on the high side BUT given current lack of skilled workforce, they can ask any price really. I know guys quoting 300-400% their 'normal' prices and actually get the job right away.

Sounds more like 1500-1700 job to me.