Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Equinox the Tesla killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The upcoming Chevy Equinox looks to be beginning at a very good price point, even though we don't really know what higher appointed cars will sell for at this time, it seems they will be less than most Teslas.

Article HERE

Most who keep up with EVs know the Equinox is coming. I wondered what your thoughts were on it's direct competition to the Tesla Model Y would be?

I visit a few other EV sites and Chevy is among them. Many of those people are presently driving a Bolt EUV and looking to trade up in later 2023/ early 2024 to Equinox. Most of them still see the Tesla as an out of reach car for the average worker.

Lots of ICE drivers are probably more compelled to drive a more ICE like car as compared to the different approach of Tesla. Some using the argument that there has been no real change to the Tesla platform and basically it's getting long in the tooth, even going so far as to compare Musk to Henry Ford.

I do think there is some validity to a more traditional looking car, mainly in the interior, that will appeal to anyone who doesn't like ipads.

I have a deposit down on an Equinox, but I have also ordered a Tesla MY LR. I liked both cars, however I liked the fact that Teslas have been made and refined as EVs for quite some time. I liked the way Teslas have been designed. To me, the Equinox still looks as if it robs a lot of DNA from traditional assembly lines.
Everyone likes to save money, so if a 50K awd version of the Equinox eventually makes it to market that has apple car play and android auto, has an instrument cluster in front of the driver and has similar specs to Tesla Y, I believe it's going to be a blow.

Most will associate a common brand name, in this case Chevy, with something good and more familiar than the more unfamiliar Tesla, even if Chevy has mainly only made ICE the past 100 years. There is going to be some brand recognition and probably some credit where credit isn't necessarily due.

What are your predictions as Chevy enters with the Equinox and other makers have similar cars coming in? Do you still think Tesla is far ahead?

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
You make valid points. However, until the fast charging situation changes in America, this argument is only valid for people that don't road trip. IF you road trip, the only good choice is a Tesla for the moment.
Good point, however as I understand it, Tesla will be opening up supercharger networks to other EVs soon.
To me this seems counter productive for Tesla, but a nice gesture to others who drive different types of EV.

Firstly, it's a doesn't-exist-yet-mobile, hoped for in late 2023 or 2024.

There's nothing but "aspirational" price estimates for that base $30k model, which is gonna be exactly like the non-existent but often talked about $30k Model 3. I would expect Chevy to ship roughly ZERO base models in the next 24 months.

So then we're looking at the up-market models which even the out-of-date-aspirational pricing on puts in the $40k's and $50k's. With a hoped-for 300 mile range and less-than-Tesla level of power.

So by the time it actually ships, I think you'll have something that's in the ballpark of the Model Y, slightly cheaper, slightly slower, slightly less range, and on a much worse charging network. I don't see it as a game changer, but I'm fine with it as an alternative for the ICE crowd to love instead of the electric Humvee.

Have you driven a Chevy in the last several decades? The Equinox might have a shot at being a "Hyundai killer" if they do it right, but I don't think they're competing for the same market segment.

Honestly, the american makers (Chrysler aside) do make some decent trucks and things.

Ford went for first-to-market, and is paying for a lot of under-development and compromises. I predict a lot of pain for them.

GM went long, and I think their "Ultium" platform may do well long term. But they will still have to try and deliver at a cost and performance level that matches Hyundai and Tesla who are the clear leaders.

Let's watch and see this "Model Y killer" come in at $50k actual-price-you-will-have-to-pay for almost-as-good-a-car and horrifically-inferior-charging-network.

Reactions: pilotSteve
GM will screw it up somehow.
Honestly I believe it has been the dealer network all along screwing things up. Kudos to Tesla for a usually pain free experience in comparison. Chevy- Tell us what you want on the website. We will order the car and add our markup over the MSRP. Dealers differ much like putting your hand in a bag blind, you never know what you're going to pull out.

Honestly, the american makers (Chrysler aside) do make some decent trucks and things.

Ford went for first-to-market, and is paying for a lot of under-development and compromises. I predict a lot of pain for them.

GM went long, and I think their "Ultium" platform may do well long term. But they will still have to try and deliver at a cost and performance level that matches Hyundai and Tesla who are the clear leaders.

Let's watch and see this "Model Y killer" come in at $50k actual-price-you-will-have-to-pay for almost-as-good-a-car and horrifically-inferior-charging-network.

Hyundai sales are actually hurting in my area due to exemption from the rebates. Different groups of people buying Teslas. Those who see buying a model X or S as play money, those who are straining to buy a MY,Those comfortable buying a MY. and those who are straining to buy that M3 base. Lots of differences in prices between these various models not necessarily relfective of quality. Prices can go upward on both M3 and Y all depending what you order.

Lately trying to pin a price on the various Teslas has been like trying to win that stuffed monkey at the fair. I managed to get in on the MY LR ( like probably a million others) nuf said. I know I'll miss out on HW5, but to me it is no great loss. Who knows? Maybe they will have a discounted version of FSD for us on 'older' hardware. The forever beta version?

I think it's safe to say though that Teslas in general are still higher priced than most common ICE cars. Recently people who would not have looked at Tesla noticed and some ordered one. - Hold on, I just noticed there are ants on my office floor- back to this, VV

You have a very similar view to mine, maybe exactly the same. Chrysler is now making an EV pickup entry. We'll see. Not in the market for one myself. Yes GM is all in. I can't say I'm really very concerned, but if they can make cars that are at least viewed more as everyday cars which happen to be EVs, I think Tesla has real competition.
You mention cost performance level, yes, and many are willing to take a few demerits to have something with similar performance for less $$. I just loath misrepresentations though coming from anyone. No we aren't dumb enough to really think there will be a whole bunch of 30K cars with great performance numbers. I suspect base models are low 200 ish ranges and in the end being the difference between the hamburger pictures represented on fast food windows and the appearance of the actual hamburgers. Does grandma care if her Equinox base only does 0-60 in 7 seconds? Probably not. Nor will others. Hey it's an EV and they can afford it.

About the time more of these lower end EVs like Base Equinox and Aryia come out I imagine Tesla will have the model 2.

1) I'm done with dealerships. Never again. I will never go through pain for the opportunity to spend my own money.
2) I've given GM multiple chances in the past and was always disappointed, from the Equinox that had transmission issues from the factory to the Caddy that had a catastrophic engine failure before its first major service was scheduled. No thank you if that's their quality.
3) I don't expect GM or Bara to lead or for them to matter when it comes to any future purchases.

Reactions: starise
Another "Tesla Killer" promised. OK then. The Equinox is a unicorn until:

1-The car is in production, and,
2-There has been some unbiased testing done (I like Kyle Connor for that)

I'm not against other EVs. None the less, as others have pointed out in this thread, you go into a car dealership at your peril. They are truly dinosaurs. In a decade we'll all be buying our cars from Amazon...*

*By this I mean over the internet. Click on some menu options and your car will be ordered. No more haggling.

Rich

Remember how BZ4X was supposed to be a Tesla killer now that the big boy Toyota is in the picture? Absurd charging curve and they couldn't even keep the wheels on. Embarrassment right out the gate.
What's going on with Japanese car companies lately? How about the Mazda MX-30? That's just plain odd. 100 miles of range and it uses a rotary engine to run an onboard generator.
Ironically Panasonic is pumping out the batteries for Tesla.

Even if the Equinox is preferable to The Model Y for most buyers, how many is GM going to make.

Tesla can’t supply the quickly growing market for EVs. I don’t believe the Equinox will put a dent in Model Y sales no matter how good it is. The market is simply growing too fast.

Even if the Equinox is preferable to The Model Y for most buyers, how many is GM going to make.

Tesla can’t supply the quickly growing market for EVs. I don’t believe the Equinox will put a dent in Model Y sales no matter how good it is. The market is simply growing too fast.
  • GM expects to build 400,000 EVs in North America from 2022 through the first half of 2024 and grow capacity to 1 million units annually in North America in 2025.
  • GM expects to reach U.S. battery cell capacity of more than 160 GWh and 1.2 million cells per day by mid-decade.
Source-

This is all future projection and includes the entire lineup, not Just Equinox. GM is forecasting about 200,000 cars per year 22-24. We have already come through 22' and those numbers don't seem to be anything close. It appears the Hummer really slowed them down. I mean they could have made two cars in place of one Hummer, and that production has been slow.

They want to eventually achieve 1 million cars annually. so yes, Tesla is poised to make far more than this in the same time periods, even if we look at only North America.

I believeTesla needs to further refine their lower market ideas unless they want to be another BMW. GM as usual was bogged down and taking a long time to swing around. There is a reason the Y is moving fast while the X and S are less active with M3 moving slow. Car dealers need to get it, Families. A utilitarin car for an affordable price. Tesla did get it early. Equinox looks to be a wonderful car sitting in the same place as Y at possibly a better price point. The "up to" 300 miles of range is about the same as the 4680 SR MY 279 miles of range and right now that car sits in the low 50's.

Unfortunately though I see hangups in GM getting the cars out fast. If Bolt is any indication.

Mar 1st will be a helpful to see how Tesla is engaging this.

Reactions: Zythryn
I have always said the EV market is Tesla’s to lose, therefore, the only real Tesla killer is Tesla itself.

Anyone who is looking for an EV and takes the time to learn about Tesla’s customer service will probably look elsewhere. Heck, a lot of existing Tesla owners are starting to look elsewhere as well. What a shame that the company with the best EV by far is run by a man who does not care about his customers.

What's going on with Japanese car companies lately? How about the Mazda MX-30? That's just plain odd. 100 miles of range and it uses a rotary engine to run an onboard generator.
Ironically Panasonic is pumping out the batteries for Tesla.

The MX-30 Is just plain frustrating.

The BEV Is 100 miles of range. OK, it sucks, but it's quite well equipped for the price, so if you really do just need a city car, there is at least a justification for buying it.

But it's a ICEV conversion, and has a small cabin for the footprint (long hooded Mazda styling hurts), stupid rear suicide doors with limited opening, and it makes a fake noise when driving _all the time_. So, even within the range it has unnecessarily off-putting features.

As for the PHEV, if they were just doing an i3 and adding a rotary engine that would be _great_. EREV generator is pretty much perfect use of a rotary engine: small and light to carry, operation can stay in its narrow efficiency band, and the infrequent use means the short maintenance cycle won't be burdensome.

But, no, the battery will be 17.8kWh, half the capacity of the BEV's pack. So, OK, that could give some reasonable range for a PHEV, but now you'll be more likely to lean on an engine that's known for limitations, especially if, going by the MX-30 BEV, it's not going to be efficient.

Reactions: starise
I have always said the EV market is Tesla’s to lose, therefore, the only real Tesla killer is Tesla itself.

Anyone who is looking for an EV and takes the time to learn about Tesla’s customer service will probably look elsewhere. Heck, a lot of existing Tesla owners are starting to look elsewhere as well. What a shame that the company with the best EV by far is run by a man who does not care about his customers.
I have had my Tesla for coming up on three years this May. My own experiences with Tesla service so far have been top notch - actually, the best I have had with any vehicle in 30+ years of vehicle ownership. I don't doubt the bad experiences of some as reported on this site, but experiences can vary and service centres in some areas might provide better service than others. The possibility of bad service also happens with legacy vehicle manufacturers. I have heard some doozies of reports of bad experiences with the legacy brands, and it seems to have been especially bad recently due to supply chain issues with vehicles and parts and with dealerships generally treating customers as if they are lucky to have a vehicle at all.

I think that GM perhaps could eventually provide some EV competition for Tesla , but that is some time away. I have not been entirely impressed with the GM projected specs with their EVs. The projected specs are 'OK', but not better than that and I expect that the actual specs will be still less impressive. And then I anticipate that GM will have to spend at least a couple of years ironing out initial problems their EV technology and longer again to ramp up production to anywhere near Tesla's. And even if all those things go well for GM, given overall EV demand, I think that there will still be plenty of room for Tesla vehicles in the market, and especially so if Telsa does not stand still with EV development and still retains an edge even as other manufacturers come on line with their EVs. Barring a complete Tesla meltdown - albeit that is possible given the instability of their CEO - I think that it is too late for a 'Tesla killer'. Tesla caught the legacy manufactures sleeping, and now appears to be here to stay.

Reactions: DblOSmith

Only issue I have with Tesla service is due to the state I currently live in, Alabama, not allowing Tesla SERVICE CENTERS even.... Alabama is just a huge mistake of a state. Thankfully, Tesla mobile services was scheduled and fixed the issues the few times I've had them.