Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed displayed on the IC seems to be derived from the front wheels. (Tested on both a P85D and a S85). I bet they are using the information from the ESP controller. There are high-resolution wheel pulse counts available for all 4 wheels on the chassis CAN bus.

Do you have any CAN IDs and decoding you would like to share? If you do, I may be able to write a traction control logging option to take a very close look at per wheel slip activity.

The logger has been updated to present as roughly a 3 1/2 meg disk to the host PC. This dramatically reduces the time for the device to appear on PCs with anti virus software that wants to check the whole (mostly fictitious) disk before letting the device appear. I've also increased the Battery Health sample rate to improve sample resolution and make full use of the now available 3 meg data file size. I'll post update files after a tad more testing.

Do you have any CAN IDs and decoding you would like to share? If you do, I may be able to write a traction control logging option to take a very close look at per wheel slip activity.

The logger has been updated to present as roughly a 3 1/2 meg disk to the host PC. This dramatically reduces the time for the device to appear on PCs with anti virus software that wants to check the whole (mostly fictitious) disk before letting the device appear. I've also increased the Battery Health sample rate to improve sample resolution and make full use of the now available 3 meg data file size. I'll post update files after a tad more testing.

You'd need to switch buses. :(

Bill,

I'd like to do some 90DL to 85DL comparisons. Is there any chance we can get some Fast Foot runs at differing SoCs? My primary interest is overlays to determine exactly how much difference there is between the two and what drives the difference (like, voltage sag under load). That would close the loop for me definitively when it comes to how a 90DL might ever have pulled off a ten second run.

Thanks,
Bill

so i have been giving ride alongs to all my co-workers over the past few days. launching at various states of charge. the main determining factor i have found with the car so far is pavement quality. sure i dont have a sweet graph to back me up, but i have definitely noticed some roads give me a MUCH better launch than others, this happens as low as 180 rated miles.

Bill,

I'd like to do some 90DL to 85DL comparisons. Is there any chance we can get some Fast Foot runs at differing SoCs? My primary interest is overlays to determine exactly how much difference there is between the two and what drives the difference (like, voltage sag under load). That would close the loop for me definitively when it comes to how a 90DL might ever have pulled off a ten second run.

Thanks,
Bill
Absolutely. I'll get on it ASAP and add the data to the shared folder. I also made a few other runs that I haven't added there yet. I'll clean them up and add them a well.

- - - Updated - - -

so i have been giving ride alongs to all my co-workers over the past few days. launching at various states of charge. the main determining factor i have found with the car so far is pavement quality. sure i dont have a sweet graph to back me up, but i have definitely noticed some roads give me a MUCH better launch than others, this happens as low as 180 rated miles.
That's interesting. I'll look around for a concrete road to test on.

For old drag racers, the obvious next step here is - Giant Slip Start burnouts and backing up onto the tire marks (The backup camera may replace the need for two crewmen giving you hand signals):smile: Maybe it could programmed via a "Burnout Summon".

Last edited:
i took a crack at comparing 90 to 85, Bill D's run 4 with LCC's run 4 from his round of 7--couldn't get a good alignment of time and a big torque dip may throw off the readings, but the max Rtorque was about the same for both ~450 ft-lbs. Maybe can try another set of runs later...kb

i took a crack at comparing 90 to 85, Bill D's run 4 with LCC's run 4 from his round of 7--couldn't get a good alignment of time and a big torque dip may throw off the readings, but the max Rtorque was about the same for both ~450 ft-lbs. Maybe can try another set of runs later...kb
I've added several more runs to the shared folder. I'll add some more over the weekend at various SoC, including some "fast foot" launches.

Back from a very long week away, apologies for silence from this side. Also PM mailbox overran - um, sorry. Need to do less of that work thang! :)

Here's a graph of the best correlation between Bill D's P90DL (run 4) and mine (P85DL). BatTemp, SoC, etc very close - both launching in dry conditions (Bill's 72, mine 55 - my tires were 21" SottoZero3's - not sure on Bill's(?)). P85DL is dotted, P90DL is solid line

The plots are amazingly similar. The only difference I can point to is the first half second where I would believe I had more grip than Bill.

MikeBur P85DL vs Bill D P90DL launch.PNG

And here's the zoom in of the first few seconds showing same torque staging, same vector for pretty much everything. Stunning.
MikeBur P85DL vs Bill D P90DL launch (zoomed).PNG

Let me know if you need any more cuts of data. About to go out and test drive the X we're waiting to configure, so might be a while! :)

Reactions: benjiejr
Excellent overlay!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MikeBur again.

Thanks Kenny, and to others for the unexpected bonus of rep comments. thank you.

Back from MX test drive. Awesome windscreen/shield, though not managed to convince the new potential owner... and I'm not replacing my S. Anywho...

I thought it was VOLTAGE!!

Does the 90 get there with more cells or just better chemistry?

Before life interferes again, I looked at this as combined power as although Bill's voltage was higher my current was higher and I wondered how much that whole P=IV thing would cancel each other out and plotted it:

(Power) MikeBur P85DL vs Bill D P90DL launch.PNG

And zooming in again (same scales for comparisons, etc), that's a good 10kW add for the 90 once you get to steady state, and as I mentioned I believe its initial traction that gives p85dL that steeper power during acceleration.
(Power) MikeBur P85DL vs Bill D P90DL launch (zoomed).PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr