Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
donauker has it right ... Ok ... I must have run into a violation ... but may be I should also apologize & retract the word "frequently" ... sorry :redface: But some years ago in a townhouse I wanted an electrician to upgrade a couple of 5-15s to 5-20 receptacles. I already knew the panel's smallest breaker was 20A. When he refused he explained that the wiring was only rated good enough for 15A (so why didn't he change the breaker to 15A ? Hmm. I don't remember, but maybe I wasn't willing to pay for something that gave me nothing in return, and he thought nothing of the violation ?

Got sent this from Stefano.

2009.05.17 Milbank Power Panel Installs

If you don't plan to charge at 70 Amps, at $350 (plus the MC240 or the Martin special) it's a cheaper more versatile solution than getting the $3K Clipper Creek Tesla HPC.

DSC_9230.jpg

Think this photo might be staged?? There was an article in ABG where the author got a test drive shortly after the LA store opened. He took a photo of the Roadster parked next to a charging station even though the connectors were incompatible. Is the Roadster in this photo actually getting a charge?

Yes. Using an Avcon inlet adapter. This location is in El Dorado Hills, between Folsom and Placerville.

Got sent this from Stefano.

2009.05.17 Milbank Power Panel Installs

If you don't plan to charge at 70 Amps, at $350 (plus the MC240 or the Martin special) it's a cheaper more versatile solution than getting the $3K Clipper Creek Tesla HPC.

(Somewhat obvious, but):

That is great for an indoor / private location, but probably won't fly for public locations.

Twice as long to charge, but a lot cheaper both for the installation costs and the adapter to plug into the car. Also, some houses don't have enough free amps in their service to support 70amp anyways.

To answer my own question I found this at the East Bay branch of the Electric Automobile Association had something.

inlet.jpg

avcon1450t.jpg

Sorry, I misunderstood your use of the word "paddle." Usually, the Avcon connector is called a "claw," and the inductive connector is called a "paddle," as in "large paddle" or "small paddle." I thought you were looking for an adapter from an inductive charger to a 14-50, which would be nearly impossible.

Here is the link for ordering the Electric Auto Association (EAA) Avcon inlet adapter box (scroll down to the bottom of the page):
EAA merchandise page

Yeah I was. Boy was I confused. I thought the black box image was some sort of paddle receiver. Now I see that it is simply and unmounted "claw" receiver. Forgive me. I am really starting on square one here.

But here is the bad news from Stefano's page.

page:
avcon1450t.jpg

AVCON to NEMA14-50 adapter box from the EAA (scroll to bottom) allowing charging of modern EVs from existing AVCON EV charge stations. There are less than 100 of these adapter boxes left due to the female AVCON receptacle no longer being made and dwindling remaining inventory. Get yours while you still can. Prices have increased substantially due to limited availability of the female AVCON receptacle.

That's only 10 percent of Roadster owners.

But the good news is that we hear that Roadster owners don't like them, so we should be good to go. ;)

Yeah, I think we were all confused about the "paddle" version you wanted. The box pictured in the initial shot is of course an EAA box.... that you then later found as your "answer."

If you ever desperately need one, you can borrow mine.