Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted, restarts after update to 6.2 (v2.5.21)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun times. Manual charge btw

f97a4f7db94144a5eed5102d316c5345.jpg

Alas, I still had it happen last night with .36 -- it didn't happen the first night, but I've had it work something like one night in three.

Ditto. 2.5.36 does not resolve this one. The car ends up charging normally every time this happens, and I don't get the interrupted message every time either. It occurred to me today when thinking about the messaging architecture that the notifications don't come from the car directly. The way the notifications work is the car sends events to the mothership servers, which interpret those events and send the notification to the corresponding app. A recent server update could have introduced a "bug" in the messaging chain.

Ditto. 2.5.36 does not resolve this one. The car ends up charging normally every time this happens, and I don't get the interrupted message every time either. It occurred to me today when thinking about the messaging architecture that the notifications don't come from the car directly. The way the notifications work is the car sends events to the mothership servers, which interpret those events and send the notification to the corresponding app. A recent server update could have introduced a "bug" in the messaging chain.

Can someone actually observe the car when this event is triggered? I mean is the master charger really cycling on/off in rapid succession or is it just a reporting issue?

Well it is 11:04 and I am sitting in a hotel room, looking at the app. Car is charging and didn't get a message 4 minutes ago that it interrupted upon starting. Maybe last night's update took care of the issue, though I haven't been getting one every night (at least I think I haven't....).

Got the update installed today while walking around NYC. Got home, charged, and about half an hour after starting I got the notification that it was interrupted.

Went out to the car and the port was glowing green and charging (odd since it usually goes dark after a while). Cable was EXTREMELY hot, and I unplugged it for a little bit before plugging it back in.

No notifications since then

Can someone actually observe the car when this event is triggered? I mean is the master charger really cycling on/off in rapid succession or is it just a reporting issue?

I'm going to try to do that, but it does not happen every scheduled charge session, so it may take some days to make the observation.

One data point I do have is from the service center pulling the logs from my car to look into this. The service tech was unable to identify any charging interruption at the time when I did have it occur and sent him the iPhone notification screen shot as evidence.

Another data point is what happened last night. I got the charge started notification, and then immediately the charge interrupted, then 90-odd minutes later, the charge complete notification,. There was no start notification after the interrupt. This suggests a server reporting issue.

IMG_0026.PNG

But I will have to observe one of these events to see if the charge session truly gets interrupted. I'll post an update when I have any additional data points.

Last edited:

The one time it happened to me the chargeport ring had turned red and the car was silent; I forget what the charge screen on the center console said I think it was just 'charging interrupted', in any case it wasn't cycling.

The one time it happened to me the chargeport ring had turned red and the car was silent; I forget what the charge screen on the center console said I think it was just 'charging interrupted', in any case it wasn't cycling.

That's exactly what happened to me when my UMC started going bad (was replaced by Tesla) and when my J1772 cables at work started going bad (replaced by ClipperCreek). I'd get the Charge Interrupted message(s) and the Red Ring. Sometimes once, sometimes it would repeat several times, and this was before the .21 firmware release. In my case, it was all to do with bad connections to the charge port. Are you guys sure it's not a bad connectivity issue? Maybe more current firmware is more sensitive to a bad connection? Just wondering because I don't think the problem is universal.

Traveling out of state and my ModelS started doing this yesterday while charging at the airport. Am charging off 110V. Went into the Remote S app and stopped charging. Left it alone for about an hour and started again. Seems to have stabilized. Not sure how to check my firmware remotely, but believe I am on .21 (although did get notification this am that a new software is ready to be installed).

That's exactly what happened to me when my UMC started going bad (was replaced by Tesla) and when my J1772 cables at work started going bad (replaced by ClipperCreek).
<snip>
Are you guys sure it's not a bad connectivity issue? Maybe more current firmware is more sensitive to a bad connection? Just wondering because I don't think the problem is universal.

I was plugged into an HPWC at the Tesla store; those machines get lots of use but they're all less than a year old.