Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in New York City.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's assigned parking. If someone where to park in my spot they'd be bulldozed (or something). It's my spot that I'm renting.

There's no other EV in the garage so no one cares.

There's cameras everywhere so I could see who used my electricity (if they did)

I track the meter read out regularly, and would thus notice power usage that wasnt due to my car.

Note, that my car is parked there a majority of the time. I don't commute to work (I walk) so the car is only out for random day trips, etc. and the occasional multi day business trip.

I considered putting a lock box on the connector, but, given the points above, seems unnecessary for now

Is it assigned parking? What's to stop someone else from charging in that spot while you're not there? (locked box?)

It's assigned parking. If someone where to park in my spot they'd be bulldozed (or something). It's my spot that I'm renting.

There's no other EV in the garage so no one cares.

There's cameras everywhere so I could see who used my electricity (if they did)

I track the meter read out regularly, and would thus notice power usage that wasnt due to my car.

Note, that my car is parked there a majority of the time. I don't commute to work (I walk) so the car is only out for random day trips, etc. and the occasional multi day business trip.

I considered putting a lock box on the connector, but, given the points above, seems unnecessary for now

I'm going to find your spot and steal your power!!!! lol j/k. I'm still driving to NJT train station and taking that into NYPenn. I haven't made a decision yet if I want to drive all the way in. I still don't like the idea of valet parking my car. And I don't know of any other self-park besides the big manhattan garage down near 42nd street. I heard (dunno if it was on this thread or another thread), that they just installed a single charger there, but its a CHAdeMO. we need adapters for those... :( and they'll need more.

I should have mentioned: Tesla's always welcome :)

If you want to consider parking at Merc House, let me know, I'll be happy to do the intro for you and get you a spot beside me and either share our connector or get another one built

I'm going to find your spot and steal your power!!!! lol j/k. I'm still driving to NJT train station and taking that into NYPenn. I haven't made a decision yet if I want to drive all the way in. I still don't like the idea of valet parking my car. And I don't know of any other self-park besides the big manhattan garage down near 42nd street. I heard (dunno if it was on this thread or another thread), that they just installed a single charger there, but its a CHAdeMO. we need adapters for those... :( and they'll need more.

I notice this thread seems to be mainly for NYC residents looking for solutions but i thought i would post my question here anyway since you might have the inside information living there? I want to drive down with my Model S from Montreal to NYC this summer. I will be spending 1 night (2 days) in New York, specifically on Sunday August 19th. I am not sure what hotel i will be staying at yet but i doubt there are any hotels that offer charging in Manhattan. Does anyone have any suggestions for where i could charge on the night of August 19th? I pretty much need a full battery when i leave NY on the 20th (I will then be making a stop in Albany to top off halfway before continuing back to Montreal). Thanks for your help.

I notice this thread seems to be mainly for NYC residents looking for solutions but i thought i would post my question here anyway since you might have the inside information living there? I want to drive down with my Model S from Montreal to NYC this summer. I will be spending 1 night (2 days) in New York, specifically on Sunday August 19th. I am not sure what hotel i will be staying at yet but i doubt there are any hotels that offer charging in Manhattan. Does anyone have any suggestions for where i could charge on the night of August 19th? I pretty much need a full battery when i leave NY on the 20th (I will then be making a stop in Albany to top off halfway before continuing back to Montreal). Thanks for your help.

Icon Mercury Parking at 350 W 50th has a charge point station and the valets are familiar with the Model S.

just look at chargepoint.net , there are enough chargepoint (30 amp J1772) stations scattered around for you to use anywhere you decide to stay. Most if not all though will not let you keep your guys (every one of them is valet-only).

Why are you going back via Albany? Unless something has changed, they only have 30A 207v which almost requires staying overnight. If you go up I-91 there are better options including the supercharger in Milford CT.

Why are you going back via Albany? Unless something has changed, they only have 30A 207v which almost requires staying overnight. If you go up I-91 there are better options including the supercharger in Milford CT.

Well going from NY to Montreal is 400 miles straight up I87. Albany is just about halfway. Yes it may require an overnight in Albany since there are no fast chargers but I do not see how using I-91 would help. Using the supercharger in Milford would allow a quick topup there but then it's 375 miles to Montreal using I-91 so clearly I would need some kind of recharging elsewhere on the way. If you have an idea where i could top up quickly between Milford and Montreal along I-91 I would love to hear about it. Thanks

Well going from NY to Montreal is 400 miles straight up I87. Albany is just about halfway. Yes it may require an overnight in Albany since there are no fast chargers but I do not see how using I-91 would help. Using the supercharger in Milford would allow a quick topup there but then it's 375 miles to Montreal using I-91 so clearly I would need some kind of recharging elsewhere on the way. If you have an idea where i could top up quickly between Milford and Montreal along I-91 I would love to hear about it. Thanks

It depends on what you call "quickly." You may be better off spending the night in Albany. The Model S is very slow to charge and you would need all night in Albany. That would allow you to spend most of the day in NYC on Aug 20.

But if you want to be home in Montreal on the 20th, and spend one less night in a hotel, then going through Milford, CT, up I-91 and I-89 would get you home the same day that you left NYC. Leaving NYC full, the Milford Supercharger would take only 30 to 45 min to get you full again. Then you can charge in Thetford, VT (exit 14) at 70A, 240v, just over 200 mi from Milford. You might need 3+ hrs in Thetford. From there it is 185 mi to Montreal by a very scenic route to Barre, VT, then I-89 most of the way to Montreal. You would be in Montreal the evening that you left NYC.

Which route is quicker or better? Depends on your priorities. I-87 through Albany requires another overnight stay at a hotel, but at least you can be sleeping while your car is charging. I-91 through VT gets you home the same day but you have to wait at least 3 hrs at a place with spotty cell coverage but it does have WiFi and some nice walking trails along the Ompompanoosuc River if the weather is nice.

It depends on what you call "quickly." You may be better off spending the night in Albany. The Model S is very slow to charge and you would need all night in Albany. That would allow you to spend most of the day in NYC on Aug 20.

But if you want to be home in Montreal on the 20th, and spend one less night in a hotel, then going through Milford, CT, up I-91 and I-89 would get you home the same day that you left NYC. Leaving NYC full, the Milford Supercharger would take only 30 to 45 min to get you full again. Then you can charge in Thetford, VT (exit 14) at 70A, 240v, just over 200 mi from Milford. You might need 3+ hrs in Thetford. From there it is 185 mi to Montreal by a very scenic route to Barre, VT, then I-89 most of the way to Montreal. You would be in Montreal the evening that you left NYC.

Which route is quicker or better? Depends on your priorities. I-87 through Albany requires another overnight stay at a hotel, but at least you can be sleeping while your car is charging. I-91 through VT gets you home the same day but you have to wait at least 3 hrs at a place with spotty cell coverage but it does have WiFi and some nice walking trails along the Ompompanoosuc River if the weather is nice.

Thanks for the I-91 explanation. Ill check out the Thetford charging option.

Where is the station in Thetford VT? I checked plugshare, and chargepoint and am not able to find the site. I am heading up that way tomorrow and could really use a charger in that area.

Where is the station in Thetford VT? I checked plugshare, and chargepoint and am not able to find the site. I am heading up that way tomorrow and could really use a charger in that area.

Its not a station - private charger at someone's house not far from exit 14. They seem have a Roadster HPC outside and a Nema 14-50 if you call him in advance...

Aaron

Dropping somebody off at camp? I won't be there until evening, and then only briefly, but you are welcome to use our charger. It's 4 mi off I-91. You'll need an adapter if not driving a roadster. Press the red button to raise the amps up to 70. Or use the NEMA 14-50 inside garage on the left. The WiFi code is sharp.