Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Champaign, IL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look forward to hearing your success!:)

Forgot to post the success! No flat bed needed, but it was close. I made it both there and back with 3% remaining. About 218 miles from the supercharger to my house. Google says that Indianapolis Supercharger to Springfield, IL Supercharger is 220 miles.

On the way over, it was ~70F out and I averaged 284 whi/mi (61.9 kWh) for the 217.8 miiles.

I really picked the speed up past Champaign since I was feeling confident. The -9% on arrival was way off obviously! I think I could have made it with 8-9% battery left. Somewhat conservative driving, mostly speed limit cruise control.

However... on the way back to Indy, it started at -13% estimated on arrival. It was MUCH colder, closer to 40-45F, and I ended up driving 224 miles (started 100% from in-laws). I was at 278 Wh/mi going the absolute speed limit or slower the whole way home. 62.3kWh used total. I was pretty nervous to be honest.

I'm not sure if I would attempt Indy to Springfield:
1) Under 40F temperature
2) In a 60!
3) Without an hour to spare in Champaign
4) a year or two from now when my battery has lost some range

Please, please please bring a Supercharger to Champaign, Tesla! I know it's the same for the Country Hills to Effingham route. This location would serve both of those main midwest thoroughfares -- and to just get 10-15 minutes and get back on the road would be huge. Definitely not paying $8.50 to park at Hyatt to charge on 40amp, and not wanting to risk the charger at iHotel being used on arrival. Tough choice.

A Champaign Supercharger location would be perfect for many travelers for sure. I'm hoping that planned map is right and they get one. It really is a crucial location for travelers in all directions.

Boom! Thanks to SMS16 for the heads up, but this is at Meijers Champaign. Excited! Must be close to opening.
image.jpeg

Ah, the Meijers on North Prospect; many memories of us poor grad students waiting in driving snow storms for the bus with our hands full of grocery bags!

Someday, I'll drive cross-country to my alma mater, the U of I, and supercharge here.

I worked at the Wal-Mart off Prospect (right next to Sam's Club, now the Rural King) when I attended U of I... things look way, way different along Prospect now. Lots of great options up that way.

For me it was the FedEx Ground hub, just northeast of the mall, but I bought my fair share of frozen foods and 10lb boxes of tortilla chips at the Sam's Club.

I still go back periodically to visit friends, so this location likely means the end of my requests to have my buddy move his car out of the garage so I can back in and plug into his dryer outlet. Hopefully in a couple years he'll have a Model 3, and install the 14-50 outlet at the front of the garage where I can access it without making him move any cars.