Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is probably due to the fact that I don't have a tethered cable and have to get the cable out of my boot every time, not so bad when it's not raining but when it is, yes it's a faff lol
Yes that is a bugger hence why there have been allot of discussions here about tethered or no tethered.

Tethered for the most part is the way forward really. Best you get and extra cable and a holster and just leave it there permanently imho. cost you circa £100 but you cant put a price on comfort.

The other advantage of charging it every day is that if there is ever an unforeseen reason you need to make an urgent trip you're in a better position.

In terms of battery health the prevailing logic would be that you are better charging daily than every other day if that keeps you within the 20-80 range. Going outside 20-80 is fine for an occasional long trip, but if you do it regularly then it can degrade the battery faster.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I still couldn't get over the idea that charging the car everyday is better than charge when it gets low - I thought batteries have limited number of recharge cycles before the capacity degrade? That's physics and they haven't solved it yet, right?

I still couldn't get over the idea that charging the car everyday is better than charge when it gets low - I thought batteries have limited number of recharge cycles before the capacity degrade? That's physics and they haven't solved it yet, right?
A charge cycle is 0-100% ... If you charge 80-100% 5 times = 1 cycle and so forth.... 50-100% twice = 1 cycle ....and so on...

Reactions: ACarneiro

LiPO Batteries do degrade in use, but they degrade faster in the top and bottom 20%, so using these is thought to be a significantly bigger impact than the middle.

Why do mobile phone batteries only last a few years ? they are charged to 100% and often used until 0%. Apple have been starting to address this with only charging up to 100% just before you use it, and I think the iPhone 15 even has an option to not charge beyond 80% now.

Reactions: Js1977
Apple have been starting to address this with only charging up to 100% just before you use it, and I think the iPhone 15 even has an option to not charge beyond 80% now.
Totally agree with the rest of what you said ie. its less harmful to partially charge further up the to then let it drain to empty then charge all the the way up... With an ICE car you wouldn't have full range every day unless you went to the petrol station every day or had bulk bough petrol at home.

As far as apple goes, they've had the 80% thing going on for a long time now (years) as an opt in under settings, battery, battery health and charging, optimised battery charging.

As already explained above a cycle isn't a single charge! However, if aiming for optimum battery longevity charging smaller amounts to maintain your mid range percentage is better than fewer deep charges. In my own circumstances I can mostly operate between 50% and 75% if I plug in every day ... the car isn't necessarily charging everyday but it's always plugged in when at home and therefore always has about 75% at the start of every day. On longer trips I use the full range of the battery as required. Over the past year (year 4 in the life of my M3 SR+) I saw zero further reduction in battery capacity* ... yes, only a sample of one car but it's encouraging.

For those who are sad enough ... BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

I would recommend to @JohnJ85 to try and make the home plugging-in process as easy as possible ... I honestly spend less than 10 seconds doing that when I park up.

*as reported by Tessie app Battery Health monitoring.

I think we’re over thinking it.

I understand why people want to do the best thing for their car but few people only used a quarter throttle and kept the revs down on their ICE until the engine had warmed up, and it’s not much different, i doubt the difference long term between the battery going between say 25 and 85% over 2 days and 50 to 80% daily isn’t going to register. I’m not a slave to charging, I don’t really subscribe to the ABC mantra because there are BMS calibration benefits to leaving the car at lower states of charge etc.

I guess I’m not saying don’t do the optimum thing, just the penalty for not doing it is unlikely to be substantial, if noticeable at all, there are some who cold soak their battery more than we're likely to (Canada, Norway etc), take it lower daily (people doing 200 miles a day), etc and they survive.

Last edited:
As far as apple goes, they've had the 80% thing going on for a long time now (years) as an opt in under settings, battery, battery health and charging, optimised battery charging.

Optimised has been around for years, being able to set an 80% limit is new on the iPhone 15.

• Informative
Actually the best practice is to keep it as close to 50% as long as possible. There are technical papers that indicate for precisely the cells used in Tesla's that calendar aging (which is rarely talked about but is as significant as cycle aging) is much lower at <55%. Also, the Battery University have publications indicating it is better to have smaller cycles. So rather than charge up to 80% and then allow the battery to drop over several days before charging again - it would be better to charge to the minimum you need daily, say 60%, to not let the battery drop to below , say 40%. In the example below 75% to 65% is much better than 75% to 25%.
1701264522689.png

1701264562893.png

I also understand the BMS basically keeps all the individual cells balanced, and maintains the temp - but really does little else to reduce aging.

I was sceptical at first and followed the 80% mantra, but colour me converted now to reducing to 55-60%. Of course all this is relative, and if you are going to change cars in three years - probably doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: EatsShoots
I would prefer to have the range available when needed. A half-empty tank which takes hours to fill up (or costs a fortune to do in hurry) is of little use to me....
Fair point. All of my post above considers only battery aging - but you have to balance that against your other needs as well. In my case, its also having 70 bhp less at 50% compared to at 80% ;).

But I must say, there's also the joy of having the BIG battery on the MS plus - even at 55% I have a good 200 miles of range....

Optimised has been around for years, being able to set an 80% limit is new on the iPhone 15.
But iphone 15 has a new category called upto 80% on top of optimised battery charging. You have 3 choices now.

The optimised thing was based on the 80% limit as still described (at least on my 14). Being able to limit to 80% full stop must be indeed a new thing but does make me wonder about what the top buffer is now and what was then (compared to what they say the amount of hours the phone will last based on 100% charge).

Not something I ever worried and had issue with iPhones in the many years since they are a different usage case to let say my MacBook which is 99% of the time plugged in but I use 3rd party software to limit it to 70% charge. My previous MacBook had battery swelling after about 6 years of always being 99% permanently charged to 100% but still lasted well on battery. I changed the battery on it and it now lives on very well 9 years on with my father inlaw.

My Daughters old bmw i3 still had the same range as new at 60k miles (maybe bigger buffer to mask degradation?)

The iPhone on the other hand does not sit at 100% for very long.

The optimised thing was based on the 80% limit as still described (at least on my 14). Being able to limit to 80% full stop must be indeed a new thing but does make me wonder about what the top buffer is now and what was then (compared to what they say the amount of hours the phone will last based on 100% charge).

Not something I ever worried and had issue with iPhones in the many years since they are a different usage case to let say my MacBook which is 99% of the time plugged in but I use 3rd party software to limit it to 70% charge. My previous MacBook had battery swelling after about 6 years of always being 99% permanently charged to 100% but still lasted well on battery. I changed the battery on it and it now lives on very well 9 years on with my father inlaw.

My Daughters old bmw i3 still had the same range as new at 60k miles (maybe bigger buffer to mask degradation?)

The iPhone on the other hand does not sit at 100% for very long.
1701267011813.png

That's what it says on an iPhone 15 Pro. Never had an iPhone before, so not sure what has changed...