Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1662.png

For comparison , I passed on my iPhone 7 plus to my father inlaw which was about 4 years old and it still had 92% of its original value and these did not have the optimised setting.. Still fit for for purpose 3 years after that but he did say the battery wasn't lasting a whole day after that.

View attachment 994618

That's what it says on an iPhone 15 Pro. Never had an iPhone before, so not sure what has changed...
Nothing - it is the same as in Pro 15, when it comes to battery health and charging. What has changed overall is you have an option of 80% limit. Optimised charging on iPhone means learns from the charging routines and wait to finish past 80%.

1701296117448.png

Nearly 3-years old, 37,000 miles. Teslamate reporting 3% battery degradation. I've generally surfed up and down charging %s and done a decent chunk of >90% charging

85% of my charging has been on AC.

So I would generally say don't sweat it. I think you are more likely to see detrimental long-term effects if you do a significant amount of of DC charging.

Indeed the option to explicitly set a limit of 80% is what's new on the 15's - and that's what I have done. Also per my posts above, if this requires a second charge later in the day - that's better than starting with 100%.
For the record Samsung have had this feature for a couple of years and retro added it to some older models at the same time. Its only software after all. But they keep it pretty well hidden. Almost like they don't want you to use it. 🤔
Screenshot_20231129_233736_Device care.jpg

I bet most owners don't even know it's there

It kind of shows why these things are nothing more than a rough idea - 10k miles ago you had a reading where the battery had half the loss you do today and better than a reading at around 16k miles. When you first got it, the battery even improved over the first 10k miles,

You can see a general trend and thats useful, but I'd have thought what we'd ideally need is benchmarking against cars with similar mileage if nothing else. Is 6.7% good or bad for a car approach 40k miles?

It kind of shows why these things are nothing more than a rough idea - 10k miles ago you had a reading where the battery had half the loss you do today and better than a reading at around 16k miles. When you first got it, the battery even improved over the first 10k miles,

You can see a general trend and thats useful, but I'd have thought what we'd ideally need is benchmarking against cars with similar mileage if nothing else. Is 6.7% good or bad for a car approach 40k miles?
I agree. More over, what is the actual battery capacity I have? is it 80, 79 or 76 kwh? if you add this number as original capacity, then the drop rate changes as well :/