Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette for Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to be physically present, but I suggest that you check your charge status using the Tesla app on your smartphone every 15 minutes and when your charge is up to the level you want, please move your car.
It's just basic courtesy, and the Tesla app makes it easy to do. There is really no excuse not to.
Well, of *course* I was checking my app. I may be ignorant of SC etiquette but I'm not an assh*le. I simply chose to finish my shopping before heading back because it would have been clumsy for me to leave in the middle of shopping, walk 5-10 minutes to my car, move it, walk another 5-10 minutes back to the store to complete my shopping, then walk yet another 5-10 minutes back to my car when I was done. Plus, there were plenty of empty spots when I started charging - it didn't occur to me they'd all fill up. (I'm a relatively new owner and use SCs very infrequently - so I do not have great sense how usage ebbs and flows).

But if this is what established Tesla SC etiquette demands of me so be it. I'm asking because I want to good member of the community. I figured there had to be some sort of informal grace period before having to move your car. Perhaps I was wrong.

Last edited:
Well, of *course* I was checking my app. I may be ignorant of SC etiquette but I'm not an assh*le. I simply chose to finish my shopping before heading back because it would have been clumsy for me to leave in the middle of shopping, walk 5-10 minutes to my car, move it, walk another 5-10 minutes back to the store to complete my shopping, then walk yet another 5-10 minutes back to my car when I was done. Plus, there were plenty of empty spots when I started charging - it didn't occur to me they'd all fill up. (I'm a relatively new owner and use SCs very infrequently - so I do not have great sense how usage ebbs and flows).
But if this is what established Tesla SC etiquette demands of me so be it. I'm asking because I want to good member of the community. I figured there had to be some sort of informal grace period before having to move your car. Perhaps I was wrong.

Actually, it sounds you you ARE a bit of an assh*le (to use your description). You said you arrived back at your car 45 minutes after it stopped, longer than it took to charge I imagine. That is pretty poor behavior IMO.

Last edited:

Proper charging etiquette dictates that you only hold a charging spot only while you are charging. As soon as the car notified you charging is completed you should move your car as soon as possible.

Let me give you another example. This last x-mas break I took a trip half way across the country. My overnight stop was in Gallup. I got there with 10% battery. I parked at the supercharger and as soon as the car notified me the battery was at 100% I got up and moved my car over a slot so that all supercharger would be open.

Proper charging etiquette dictates that you only hold a charging spot only while you are charging. As soon as the car notified you charging is completed you should move your car as soon as possible.

Let me give you another example. This last x-mas break I took a trip half way across the country. My overnight stop was in Gallup. I got there with 10% battery. I parked at the supercharger and as soon as the car notified me the battery was at 100% I got up and moved my car over a slot so that all supercharger would be open.
Okay, that's helpful. If I may ask, if my car finishes charging while I'm in the middle of dinner at a restaurant, or at movie, am I expected to excuse myself and move my car? Honest question - just trying to get a handle on what's expected of me.

Okay, that's helpful. If I may ask, if my car finishes charging while I'm in the middle of dinner at a restaurant, or at movie, am I expected to excuse myself and move my car? Honest question - just trying to get a handle on what's expected of me.

If your parked at a supercharger, YES.

Superchargers are for fast charging and should not be occupied if your not charging. I personally would not use them while at a movie. At dinner I would if my battery was low and I needed 45 min or more charge.

At a level 2 charger there is a little more wiggle room. If you really don't need the charge don't use it at all. Or leave a note on your car or in plugshare so that someone that needs to charge can call you.

If you need to charge and level 2 is your only option and need it, make sure you leave a note in plugshare or on the car. If you don't have a lock for the J plug you will be disconnected by angry leaf or i3 drivers. I've seen it done to other s owners.

Superchargers are for fast charging and should not be occupied if your not charging. I personally would not use them while at a movie. At dinner I would if my battery was low and I needed 45 min or more charge.

At a level 2 charger there is a little more wiggle room. If you really don't need the charge don't use it at all. Or leave a note on your car or in plugshare so that someone that needs to charge can call you.

If you need to charge and level 2 is your only option and need it, make sure you leave a note in plugshare or on the car. If you don't have a lock for the J plug you will be disconnected by angry leaf or i3 drivers. I've seen it done to other s owners.
Okay then. Glad I asked.

The app should tell you when all the other stalls are full and you should move your vehicle now.

Technology should be a solution instead of telling everybody they're an A**hole.

Reactions: Andyw2100
The app should tell you when all the other stalls are full and you should move your vehicle now.

Technology should be a solution instead of telling everybody they're an A**hole.

But that assumes that everyone is using the app. Tesla owners are the worst offenders when it comes to checking in on the plugshare app.

Can't tell you how many times I arrived at a supercharger with all the spots full and not a single checkin on plug share.

You also need to consider that none of the charging network actually talk to plugshare. All the data on plug share is from the community. It would be great if they all talked to a single entity so that we can see if stations are full so that we can make alternate plans.

But that assumes that everyone is using the app. Tesla owners are the worst offenders when it comes to checking in on the plugshare app.

Can't tell you how many times I arrived at a supercharger with all the spots full and not a single checkin on plug share.

You also need to consider that none of the charging network actually talk to plugshare. All the data on plug share is from the community. It would be great if they all talked to a single entity so that we can see if stations are full so that we can make alternate plans.

I never sign in to Plugshare at a Supercharger, after all they are not truly shared anyway, only Teslas can use them. Typically there are 6 to 10 positions, so not nearly as critical. I do try to remember to sign in at non-Tesla owned chargers, where there often is only 1. Besides, I kinda like seeing what other types of vehicles have been by.

I never sign in to Plugshare at a Supercharger, after all they are not truly shared anyway, only Teslas can use them. Typically there are 6 to 10 positions, so not nearly as critical. I do try to remember to sign in at non-Tesla owned chargers, where there often is only 1. Besides, I kinda like seeing what other types of vehicles have been by.

I check in on SCs sporadically, especially at the tighter ones...

Why should a Tesla owner check-in on plugshare???

The TESLA app should tell you how full superchargers are before and during charging.

In CA supercharger use is high. Specially in Nor Cal. When I visited San Jose area I regularly had a 15-30 min for supercharger. I could have made different plans if only tesla owners used plugshare. In Indiana I don't see it being a problem yet. But wait for when the model 3 is out. It's better to start the correct behavior now.

I heard a rumor a while back from the delivery guys that Tesla may include a feature like that as part of trip planner. Having it part of the app would be great.

Right now we can only see if a station is down and from the car with 7.1

In the mean time the only option are apps like plugshare. I would highly encourage all tesla owners to use it and follow proper etiquette at all chargers.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with your description of someone as an "offender" for not checking in on Plugshare at a supercharger. If you do it, I think you are the outlier, not the person who doesn't. I use Plugshare to find J1772s and CHAdeMOs. I check in to tell people they're working (or not). I see no value whatsoever to Plugshare for superchargers. I know where they are. Even if people did use it to check in, some would be gone or nearly finished by the time you get there. In my part if the country there is no alternative to the supercharger I'm approaching anyway, so I would stop there even if there is a wait.

I understand where your coming from. But there are just not enough Teslas or EVs around in Texas for wait times and capacity to be a problem. In California it's starting to become a problem and it will only get worse as Tesla and EVs get more popular.

I think it's hard to get Tesla guys to think like your typical EV owner. The big battery combined with a convenient growing network of superchargers really takes away the stress of owning an EV.

Before my Tesla I had an i3. With only 70-90 mile range I relied heavily on the plugshare community. Users would check in or post available spots and I could plan my trip better and if needed make alternate plans in route.

I was furious every time a Tesla or PHEV would take up a spot without checking in. I literally could not get home without a charge.

In silicone valley I saw all the superchargers always busy during rush hour at multiple stations. We saw it on this forum around Christmas where Tejon pass had 1 to 1.5 hr wait times. If the Tesla owners used plugshare the backlog of cars and extended wait times could have been avoided. Those traveling could have spent more time at the previous supercharger and avoid the congested stations.